Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: If the Castlevania IP was sold who would you want to see get it?  (Read 18977 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: If the Castlevania IP was sold who would you want to see get it?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 01:16:59 AM »
For some reason, I always wondered what a Castlevania fighting game developed by Arc System Works would be like.  It probably would be pretty awesome.

I can't wait to see what they do with the Double Dragon franchise.

From Software.
It would be interesting to see what they'd do with a 3D Castlevania. They know 3D level design, at least. IGA surely did not. And they know challenge. And atmosphere.

I agree, so long as it isn't just another Souls game with a different name.

...hell, who am I kidding? I still would love to see a Castlevania-themed Souls game.

I also agree that Nintendo has the potential to be a good fit for the series. Handheld entries, for sure. And especially if they went back to the old, campy "haunted house" feel the series used to have.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2015, 06:59:16 AM »
I guess From Software or Nintendo. For any 2D games, however, I'd like to see them developed by someone like Yacht Club Games or Joymasher.

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 12:01:42 PM »
Even after how Ninja Theory ruined Dante in DMC?
DMC was an incredibly fun game.  Even if emo Dante didn't look great he played phenomenally.  It was a perfect evolution of the devil may cry gameplay.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 07:18:53 PM »
Long ago I pondered the idea of Castlevania in the Mortal Kombat Universe. There seem to be many parallels between the two serieszzz. They both have their sorcerers, dragons, demons, hell spawns, vampires, ill fated heroes, The forgotten one and the one being etc. I think or rather thought it would be a good fit. There were some areas where the idea fell apart. All and all I think there is or was or could be something to work with. The thing is I am not sure how people would react to seeing Alucard decapitated or one of the Belmonts skinned or even say Shanoa rended limb from limb. I suppose we would never see it.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
I agree, so long as it isn't just another Souls game with a different name.

...hell, who am I kidding? I still would love to see a Castlevania-themed Souls game.

It would be interesting to see it done as the souls series definitely has the type of atmosphere to give CV a boost or two. BUT only so long as the souls excruciating difficulty isn't there with it. That would just be stupid.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
From Soft would definitely need to only pick certain elements from Souls/Bloodborne, and then add a lot of stuff that feels more Castlevania. I think the combat in Bloodborne isn't half bad for a CV, but I'd prefer a slightly different feel to it.

But I would 100% trust them with the visuals, the atmosphere and the level design/level progression. Maybe narrow the gameworld down a bit and make sliiiightly more linear, with less backtracking, but still way more room for exploration than in something like LoS.

I just wanna see From Softs take on classic CV bosses like Medusa, Death, Legion and Dracula.

As for the difficulty I'd say it would have to be changed, or at least different. Castlevania can be hard but I think it should be hard in a different way than Souls.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 02:08:56 AM »
It would be interesting to see it done as the souls series definitely has the type of atmosphere to give CV a boost or two. BUT only so long as the souls excruciating difficulty isn't there with it. That would just be stupid.

I actually think the Souls difficulty would match well with old-school CV difficulty.

Besides, the Souls series isn't really as crazy hard as it's been made out to be. It has a hell of a learning curve, definitely, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
I actually think the Souls difficulty would match well with old-school CV difficulty.

Cv doesn't need a simple zombie or skeleton completely sucking away my life in less the two or three hits. That's just silly and is not right for CV. It works four souls but it would not be good for CV. There must be a balance of some sort and the souls difficulty is simply the wrong choice for such a beloved franchise.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 03:47:03 PM »
Cv doesn't need a simple zombie or skeleton completely sucking away my life in less the two or three hits. That's just silly and is not right for CV. It works four souls but it would not be good for CV. There must be a balance of some sort and the souls difficulty is simply the wrong choice for such a beloved franchise.

Just give us the Hard Max L01 option after the game is beaten, some of us want a challenge.
This isn't about a code of morals and ethics for CV, hard difficulties should be available for those of us who appreciate them, the rest can play on normal mode and that doesn't compromise a game's integrity or design. Additionally remember N64 days where on hardmode it wasn't just enemy AI but platforming also was harder and faster. I know I personally miss those times and CV needs this imo.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 06:32:51 PM »
Just give us the Hard Max L01 option after the game is beaten, some of us want a challenge.

Sure, why not. For those of us that wish a challenge simply select hard mode. No problems with that option. The only thing I would have an issue with is that only those who master the hardest mode in the game get to see the true ending. That would be stupid. I did not like it when bloodlines pulled that stunt and the endings weren't really satisfying either. They definitely could have put more effort into the ending segments.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
Sure, why not. For those of us that wish a challenge simply select hard mode. No problems with that option. The only thing I would have an issue with is that only those who master the hardest mode in the game get to see the true ending. That would be stupid. I did not like it when bloodlines pulled that stunt and the endings weren't really satisfying either. They definitely could have put more effort into the ending segments.

You know what's even more irritating, the Metroid Prime 1 stunt where you need 100% completion for the true ending. I got 98/100 secrets and for the life of me couldn't locate the final 2, pretty irritating. Agreed endings should not be affected.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 10:04:08 PM »
I think one mode of difficulty is all you need. Find that sweet spot and set it in stone.

If certain players can't manage to beat it, that's fine. I don't think games should be obligated to hand out pity victories for players with no patience who think they should just be able to win right away.

I like the fact that I still have games that are so hard for me that I've never been able to beat them. I like to set them aside and think to myself, ok... One day I'm gonna come back to this and beat it! Sometimes it actually happens.

My first experience beating Castlevania 1 on NES was glorious because and I had spent some years as a young boy failing at it until one day I sat down and just said the hell with this. I'm not walking away from this tv until I've killed this Dracula son of a bitch. I meant it, and I finally beat it! It was the best feeling ever. I doubt I would have that epic and awesome memory to look back on if there would have been an easy way out.

I think in a small way the difficult NES and SNES games taught me to except failure, and savor a hard earned victory. And it was because we had no other choice but to fight through them as they were.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2015, 10:38:35 PM »
I think one mode of difficulty is all you need. Find that sweet spot and set it in stone.

If certain players can't manage to beat it, that's fine. I don't think games should be obligated to hand out pity victories for players with no patience who think they should just be able to win right away.

I like the fact that I still have games that are so hard for me that I've never been able to beat them. I like to set them aside and think to myself, ok... One day I'm gonna come back to this and beat it! Sometimes it actually happens.

My first experience beating Castlevania 1 on NES was glorious because and I had spent some years as a young boy failing at it until one day I sat down and just said the hell with this. I'm not walking away from this tv until I've killed this Dracula son of a bitch. I meant it, and I finally beat it! It was the best feeling ever. I doubt I would have that epic and awesome memory to look back on if there would have been an easy way out.

I think in a small way the difficult NES and SNES games taught me to except failure, and savor a hard earned victory. And it was because we had no other choice but to fight through them as they were.

The problem is that everything is about money these days. If people can't beat a game it won't sell, reviews will condemn it unless that's what the franchise is famous for. It doesn't have to be a traditional difficulty setting, Zelda had Quest B where everything had shifted for example. However, for seasoned vets who want to beat the impossible game there should be additional modes. To not put them in in this day and would be silly. If nothing else it adds replay value should someone ever wish to replay them game again. Take Dark souls 2, you didn't have to level up and I like that aspect of the game.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »

I guess a nice compromise would be what Contra Rebirth did, where only the easiest difficulty locked you out of the true final boss and ending.  Beating in on normal nets you the same ending and boss as beating it on hard.  Then again, Contra never really was about the plot, huh?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
The problem is that everything is about money these days. If people can't beat a game it won't sell, reviews will condemn it unless that's what the franchise is famous for. It doesn't have to be a traditional difficulty setting, Zelda had Quest B where everything had shifted for example. However, for seasoned vets who want to beat the impossible game there should be additional modes. To not put them in in this day and would be silly. If nothing else it adds replay value should someone ever wish to replay them game again. Take Dark souls 2, you didn't have to level up and I like that aspect of the game.

True. The problem nowadays is that a lot of people believe what the reviewers say. I still prefer giving the option of having to choose difficulty modes at the start of the game and have the capacity to change the difficulty level in the middle of the game. And option to choose whether to level up or not is also great.
Or have the difficulty setting of like the "World Ends with You" (NDS) game where you choose to alter the difficulty level of the enemies and the health bar of the main character as you please with having the rare items drop with the greatest probability when the difficulty is highest and the health bar is super low.

Tags: