Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: General Metroid Discussion Thread  (Read 12766 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I think we can all agree Sakamoto is a terrible writer and should never be allowed near a Metroid script ever again.

But I thought the gameplay was solid. I mean, it's a 3D metroid game that controls with the equivalent of an NES controller. Theres something to be said for that.

It LOOKED great, gorgeous even, and I thought the new gameplay was fresh and interesting. It DID suffer from linearity, but it was enjoyable anyway.

Also, imma just drop these two here since they are awesome

Title Theme (Metroid Dread Fictional Soundtrack)

High Biological Containment Facility Submerged (Metroid Dread Fictional Soundtrack)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 09:54:43 AM »
http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

Here's a good insight as to what Other M's problem where in terms of Samus' characterization and such.

I read it all, good article, interesting that they dont even mentioned the trauma of Samus losing her "adoptive baby metroid". They have very good points, but they only focused where they can argue. Yes, Sakamoto made various mistakes, but they talk like the entire story is a shit and thats not true.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
+1
Just read the article too and I am deeply concerned. It's like Yoshio Sakamoto has some serious personal issues that should be dealt with before Nintendo allows him to make another Metroid story-driven game. This is not how I saw the Adam/Samus relationship at all in Fusion. It was clear-cut in Fusion. Simplistic and it worked at establishing both character's relationships in the past prior to Fusion. Instead I am now slightly disturbed at Sakamoto's intentions towards Samus' future character development. Samus is a warrior woman and that was established a long time ago. How Sakamoto steered away from this is sick. And not the good kind of sick either. But why is Yoshio Sakamoto credited with creating the Metroid series when I was always hearing about Gunpei Yokoi? I thought he brought about Metroid.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
Thats should be because Gunpei Yokoi is dead, he never have the chance to see Super Metroid IIRC. Since SM is regarded as the best one for the majority of the fans I think thats why, sad that they treat the dead this way, Gunpei must be power-bombing in his coffin after they did that with her.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »
but they talk like the entire story is a shit and thats not true.

It's also not false. A person's thoughts on how good the story objectively is is still just opinion.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
Certainly because of that its also not true too. In the moment that one single good thing appears in the story it becomes a not completely shit one. It can still be a shit tough, but not completely. As they thought to expose their arguments there in they site Im exposing here what I think too, I never said that Im the owner of the only truth. There exists "truths" and the "real truths", mine being only a truth, with means that my truth doesnt necessarilly needs to be the truth to others. (Crazy stuff from this philosophers lol)
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »
I think we can all agree Sakamoto is a terrible writer and should never be allowed near a Metroid script ever again.

But I thought the gameplay was solid. I mean, it's a 3D metroid game that controls with the equivalent of an NES controller. Theres something to be said for that.

It LOOKED great, gorgeous even, and I thought the new gameplay was fresh and interesting. It DID suffer from linearity, but it was enjoyable anyway.

I agree. Would be great to at least rewrite the entire script so it actually makes sense and fits with the rest of the series. Honestly, if this was an attempt to show Samus' softer side, what we got was more like a jiggly, semi-melted jello side.
"Stuff and things."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »
On a lighter note, I gave those two Metroid fan games a try and I have to say I was very impressed! The game engine is solid, the controls are responsive and everything else works out well. These guys know what they're doing (Hands down!) The Metroid 2 demo is just as impressive and it's only a demo! Great work on those two games. While short, they were very good. The only issue I'm seeing is with the Alpha Metroid. It's far stronger then it should be. But not because it takes more hits to kill then it's GB counterpart but the fact that it has armor plating. I am aware that the official art shows them with armor plating however this doesn't mean that it is effective in stopping missile attacks right off the bat. After all, Alpha Metroids are recent evolvers from their Larva stages so in that light their armor should not be as effective as this fan demo has made it out to be. I will understand if they choose to armor up the Gamma Metroids as they are stronger then the Alpha. But the Alphas should remain as they were in the GB version.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
The Demo is correct about Alpha Metroids, the only weak spot is the core, we should be thankful that we dont need to freeze them like the giant larvas. But yes, he said that he will make the first fight a bit more easier and the difficulty will progress naturally in the game.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
Y'know, one complaint I have with other M's gameplay is this: When time comes to finish off the Metroid Queen, The game fails to tell you power bombs have been activated. EVERY OTHER POWER UP cuts to the pause screen to show you that that item has been unlocked. But the power bombs dont, and so Its easy to just die inside the stomach of the beast because you didnt know.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 02:38:49 PM »
Y'know, one complaint I have with other M's gameplay is this: When time comes to finish off the Metroid Queen, The game fails to tell you power bombs have been activated. EVERY OTHER POWER UP cuts to the pause screen to show you that that item has been unlocked. But the power bombs dont, and so Its easy to just die inside the stomach of the beast because you didnt know.
You here sir, is saying the truth. I did used it in the instant that I entered in the Metroid Queen, but I only knew that it will work because I played Metroid II, and in this game you can use normal bombs inside the Queen to do massive damage, so I tried to do that, but since its not being the sufficient I tried to use the Power Bomb.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »

Same here. I was so ticked off I couldn't figure it out that I had to stop my game and look up a walkthrough. In fact there were several instances where I had to stop playing and look it up because I was just not getting it. Even when I thought I had tried everything there was always something else that I hadn't thought to try.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 06:20:10 PM »
Same here. I was so ticked off I couldn't figure it out that I had to stop my game and look up a walkthrough. In fact there were several instances where I had to stop playing and look it up because I was just not getting it. Even when I thought I had tried everything there was always something else that I hadn't thought to try.
It annoyed me in so many levels, in the beggining I even thought that its a problem with my game, but no, its only a very very tiny spot in the screen that I needed to lock-on. This part would atleast not be so annoying if you could actually walk, like in these new Batman games when you need to search some clues.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: General Metroid Discussion Thread
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »
I liked Other M, but from a gameplay perspective.  The script was shit in every sense of the word.  All Samus did was monologue about the past.  While it was nice to give her an actual voice, her Fusion script was much better.  I could buy her being frozen in fear when she is confronted by Ridley, but that's to be expected considering that he killed her parents when she was a young child.  But that's it!  The rest of the time she should have been strong, but instead was weak. 

I get her thinking about the final battle of Super Metroid (the first time only) at the start of the game.  It gives us a clue as to when this game takes place in the series.  That's fine.  But to harp on it again and again, is just lazy and bad writing.  Even when she was thinking about what was going on, they writer could have made her sound stronger but making her sound more cool headed and calculating.  That would fit the hardened bounty hunter personality that she had in past games.  Look at Metroid Fusion.  They captured that perfectly.

The only times in which her being weak/soft are acceptable are at the start of the Ridley battle when she is frozen in fear and when Adam sacrifices himself.  That's it.

In comparison with the Prime games, I feel that Other M from a gameplay perspective is better.  I feel that the series is meant to be from a third-person perspective.  Then again, I hate FPS games.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
I was never a fan of FPS. In fact the only ones I ever played that I really liked was the MP series. Having played them on Wii I can say for sure the reason I didn't like FPS games in the past was because of the controls. Motion controls are definitely far better suited to this particular genre.
"Stuff and things."

anything