Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145781 times)

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #540 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »
Are we sure he left Konami? What about he was fired?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #541 on: November 30, 2014, 06:30:12 AM »
The way he formulated it was that he wanted to start his own studio in order to make the games he wanted, which wasn't possible at Konami because they wanted him to make simple and quickly accessible social games. I believe he mentioned discussing it with his family first before making the decesion.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #542 on: November 30, 2014, 06:35:22 AM »
Are we sure he left Konami? What about he was fired?

I don't believe he was fired. I always got the impression that IGA made a similar decision to that of Keiji Inafune when he left Capcom, with their reasonings being different.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #543 on: December 01, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
I don't believe he was fired. I always got the impression that IGA made a similar decision to that of Keiji Inafune when he left Capcom, with their reasonings being different.
Isn't that what happens in Japanese companies? People are placed in lower positions instead of being let go? Isn't that what happened with Sakaguchi(Square) and Gunpei Yokoi(Nintendo)?

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #544 on: December 02, 2014, 06:46:21 AM »
Dunno about Sakaguchi but Yokoi retired from Nintendo after creating the Virtual Boy and the Gameboy Color (one failure and one success). I don't think Nintendo ever asked him to leave or "step down" to a lower position. He had already made up his mind to retire years earlier. Though we might never know the full story about that one.

EDIT: Oh, Yokoi worked on the Wonderswan after leaving Nintendo. Didn't know that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:48:24 AM by shelverton. »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #545 on: December 02, 2014, 11:38:06 AM »
Virtual boy could have been a success. However I think it was too far ahead of it's time. It's not safe to look into the goggles for prolonged periods of time, and the way it's set up you can't wear it on your head like VR goggles. You have to be sitting in front of it. Gunpei Yokoi had made so many successful innovations to Nintendo (and video games in general) that I seriously doubt Nintendo would fire him. Fired for one blunder out of many success stories? Doesn't sound reasonable from a corporate point of view. Unfortunately he was killed so we'll never know what else he could have brought to the table. Especially now in our current era.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #546 on: December 02, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
Well, Gunpei Yokoi would've been 74 years old today. I doubt he'd be making video games. But who knows? I wanna resurrect him and have him make a new 2D Metroid.

No but seriously, R.I.P and all :(

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #547 on: December 03, 2014, 12:06:12 AM »
I wanna resurrect him and have him make a new 2D Metroid.

By all means, go for it! He'd make a much better Metroid then the other guy did with other M :P
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #548 on: December 20, 2014, 08:12:13 PM »
Well the point is, people can say whatever they want, but as DragonSlayr81 mentioned, Konami may have "invited" him to leave. I'm not trying to stir up a rumour but Japanese society is not one where being fired or asked to leave is a nice thing to share with the public. Thousands of fans know your games and your face, you're surely not gonna say "Hey guys I got fired" or "Hey guys Konami basically forced me to leave". "Hey guys I decided to leave to make games the way I want to" sounds a lot better. Plus, the fact that the guy is all over US now, where most of his fans are. Why not stay in Japan? I bet because no one gives a poop about him over there.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #549 on: December 20, 2014, 10:28:03 PM »
I think Metroid is what Iga was always meant to make. I'd love to see that.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #550 on: December 21, 2014, 02:42:06 PM »
Well the point is, people can say whatever they want, but as DragonSlayr81 mentioned, Konami may have "invited" him to leave. I'm not trying to stir up a rumour but Japanese society is not one where being fired or asked to leave is a nice thing to share with the public. Thousands of fans know your games and your face, you're surely not gonna say "Hey guys I got fired" or "Hey guys Konami basically forced me to leave". "Hey guys I decided to leave to make games the way I want to" sounds a lot better. Plus, the fact that the guy is all over US now, where most of his fans are. Why not stay in Japan? I bet because no one gives a poop about him over there.

Konami might be a front for the yakuza, and IGA is a man on the run now knowing their terrible secret.
He might really be a masked crime fighter, and this is the only way he can safely protect the streets of Japan while keeping his identity a secret.
Maybe he is Jorge D Fuentes. Have you ever seen them standing together in the same place?!?
Now I'm not saying these are valid, but they could be valid.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #551 on: December 22, 2014, 10:45:51 AM »
I think Metroid is what Iga was always meant to make. I'd love to see that.

I have my doubts. IGA did mention that he has a strong dislike for female protagonists so working on a Metroid title might be a bit of a stretch for him. He did give us Shinoa in OoE however she was no Belmont. I'd be worried he might do something similar by making a Metroid game without Samus. Then again both Samus and Metriod are property of Nintendo so he would be monitored by them.

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #552 on: December 22, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »
Konami might be a front for the yakuza, and IGA is a man on the run now knowing their terrible secret.
He might really be a masked crime fighter, and this is the only way he can safely protect the streets of Japan while keeping his identity a secret.
Maybe he is Jorge D Fuentes. Have you ever seen them standing together in the same place?!?
Now I'm not saying these are valid, but they could be valid.

you funnies

Tags:

anything