Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?  (Read 52947 times)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2019, 11:32:59 PM »
It is. some enemies don't take as long to kill and your characters can take more hits depending.
Which is odd to me why they would change it. I mean it's nice to have both options but weird they made it harder. Also not on the topic of CV3, but I didn't know the Japanese version of Belmont's Revenge uses the cross sub-weapon opposed to the axe. Learn something new every day.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 20, 2019, 12:09:54 AM »
Which is odd to me why they would change it. I mean it's nice to have both options but weird they made it harder. Also not on the topic of CV3, but I didn't know the Japanese version of Belmont's Revenge uses the cross sub-weapon opposed to the axe. Learn something new every day.

Back in the 80s and some of the 90s there was just an arcade-like mentality to make games hard so that you'd be getting your money's worth. Not sure why this philosophy was inconsistent, though: i.e. Ninja Gaiden 1 wasn't toned down in Japan and ramped up overseas, as far as I know.

Castlevania III is tough to learn, but after years of playing it, I find nearly all of it to be an average level of difficulty now. So, having an easier version of it is neat, but it's sort of too late. I've been trained in on the harder version to the point where it doesn't bother me much. (The biggest hurdle being the doppelganger fight and water area preceding it, probably.)

The cross subweapon may not be as strategically useful in spots as the ax in Belmont's Revenge, but in most situations, having played with it now for a little bit, it seems way overpowered. It's just so big and hits twice and covers a far-reaching area. (It also seems like overkill with the fire-spitting whip.) I can see why it might have been swapped out, though it may have just been a censorship thing.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #212 on: June 20, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »
Which is odd to me why they would change it. I mean it's nice to have both options but weird they made it harder.
May have had something to do with game rentals being prevalent in the US at the time, to prevent most people from just renting it and beating it in one go.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: June 30, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
Thanks friend. It seems like Japanese CV3 is an easier game.

I prefer the Japanese version. It's easier to just pick up and play due to a more balanced difficulty, and the music is much better overall IMO.

I just downloaded the collection today. I'm really surprised with the amount of detail the bonus material covers. I love stuff like this, and I'm surprised Konami put that much into this. Really liking this collection so far.

And it was nice picking up Bloodlines for the first time in at least a decade and being able to beat it.  8) I mean, on normal, with Eric, but still... :P
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags: