Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Yet another reason to like crows  (Read 3980 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« on: October 04, 2012, 08:45:57 PM »
+1
Crows are fascinating creatures. One of the smartest animals on the planet. Beautiful in flight. Sometimes they can be quite entertaining to watch (ever watched a crow beg? I have!).

Breakfast for the garden crow
fyi that's not my video, but that crow is like the one I saw

Sadly, in Castlevania games crows are pretty much hated. Sure, Medusa Heads tend to get most of the hate. Personally I hate the winged demons more than Medusa Heads. Crows are annoying in Castlevania games, though. Up they fly, then swoop down at you, then fly back up at you, then swoop back down at you, then stop slightly above you and swoop back down again. They never leave you alone!

Or do they?

In CV3, although I'm not sure about other games, the crows will only attack you eight times. If they fail to hit you by then (seeing as how they explode when they do hit you, I don't understand why they're so eager to attack you), they will fly straight toward Trevor's direction along the crow's current x-axis, then keep going off the screen.

Of course, it's difficult to dodge a crow eight times in a row (nine total if it flies off at Trevor's height), but I think that little mechanic in the crow's coding is nifty. Their code is pretty simplistic (takes up a lot of space when I write it in Game Maker, though) and in its simplicity makes for one of the most beautifully scripted enemies in an old video game, in my opinion.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
Cool stuff.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
" TheouAegis

Respect: +88"

You did it, endless eight! :)

This is super interesting, I never saw a crow eating in someone hand before.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything