Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nocturne release date announced  (Read 10427 times)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2023, 09:15:13 PM »
Anybody here watched it yet? I don't have netflix :cry:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2023, 10:02:00 PM »
Legends say they’ll break the 4th wall by resurrecting Richard Pryor to play Dracula… 🦇 🕯️ ⚰️ 🕯️ 🦇 #DracWash

This already sounds better then anything Netflix could do. Besides we already have Blacula, the blacksploitation flick from the good 'ol 70s  ;)

Anybody here watched it yet? I don't have netflix :cry:

No. I haven't. I find it's best not to cry over milk that's gone sour before it even spilt.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 10:04:16 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2023, 11:07:33 PM »
+1
Finished Nocturne. I hated it at first. You all know how Netflix Netflixes in terms of their leanings and worldview, and let's just say it's little different here. It was annoying and kept me from enjoying the entire first half. I was pretty close to dropping this because just about everything I hated about the first series had carried over.

Then something happened near the end of episode 5 that brought me right back. Bridged right into Richter becoming the badass we know and love. Almost everything went uphill after that and culminated with a cliffhanger. Now I'm as hype as I remember being at the end of Season 1 of the first series.

That said, I've been down this road before. So for now, I'll just be satisfied with Nocturne's first outing and be prepared to hate what comes next.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2023, 06:32:22 AM »
+1
Watched it.  I have a lot of thoughts and will rewatch it again so I can articulate said thoughts properly without going on knee jerk reactions.  Overall though, I’ll go with cautiously optimistic and it helps that it’s its own story instead of trying to be an adaption of Rondo (or some really odd adaptation of Bloodlines starring Ritcher instead of John and Eric, lmao).

Offline xscientist5000

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2023, 06:48:05 PM »
It had it's moments - but I'm not a fan of most of the characters. They don't seem to have much chemistry together. 
As the person above said, it got the Netflix treatment - Heavily. Could have done without a lot of the back stories that basically felt nothing like Castlevania.
I kept hoping to get that SOTN feeling but it never came.
Came out of it feeling like I left a lecture.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2023, 07:48:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure I'll watch it, but I am curious. I'll probably just look at clips and read spoilers.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2023, 06:10:49 AM »
+1
I'm on episode 5.
Seems to be doing a lot of world building and backstory

I like that it shows Richter's mom and the fact that he's either french or American.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2023, 09:48:02 AM »
I came super close to putting it on in the background while I work on music n stuff yesterday.

I decided to put on that Physical 100 show instead. Haha

Guess I'm just not a belieber of this new take on Richter yet.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2023, 01:22:57 PM »
Saw the first three episodes, and I like it so far. I've always liked the art and animation of this series, and this season looks great. The writing feels different enough under the new writer, and the new setting and characters are a breath of fresh air. Definitely what the series needed after season 3.

I know a lot of you guys here hate how much the  Netflix Vania deviates from the source material, but I mind that less as long as they are telling a good story, and so far I'm far more invested in the first three episodes than I ever was at any point in season 3.

I'll continue to watch more, good first impression for sure.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2023, 02:26:04 PM »
Is the animation any better than seasons 3 and 4 of the original series? I'm going through those seasons for the first time and it's really noticeable how much CGI-made-to-look-like-handrawn-art is used, especially in S4 where it's outrageously ugly at times. It looks and feels cheap, and I've seen speculation online that it was due to COVID in season 4's case. S1 was so deliciously animated, it's surprising how progressively worse the art and animation gets the more popular the series became.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2023, 04:58:48 PM »
I remembered this wrong, I was talking about season 3 in my last post but I meant 4... honestly, the storylines in those last two seasons felt so underwhelming to me that I already forgot these basic details. I don't know how this Nocturne season will turn out but I already like it a lot more than 3+4.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2023, 08:25:35 PM »
Just watched all the episodes... not a fan at all. The animation is pretty great but the framing is pretty terrible at times and the story and writing is just awful. Richter is a sidekick for like half the season... it has absolutely zero to do with either game hes in or even anything in those games... like wtf

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2023, 03:36:08 PM »
+3
Watched all of it. It's basically high-production fanfiction.

It's not an adaptation (or if they're trying to make it be, it's a really bad one), but rather true to its "Base on Castlevania" even moreso in this new series than in the original Netflix show. It's a whole lot of socio-economic politics w/ vampires in a thin Castlevania shell. It feels like it would be better branded as an story in the Vampire the Masquerade world.

Animation is good, but I feel like there are more instances of quality drop that are glossed-over by flashy FX to make it seem more seemless than it actually is. That could just me being nitpicky though. Environment illustrations and still images are still very high-quality and some of the best shots.

The story is all over the place. They just inject all this weird fluff into the world for no reason other than to pad interest, but without having enough interesting game-relevant content to balance it out. That's why I say I see it like high-budget fanfiction. Hate what they did with most of the game-based characters, except Olrox where they actually made him interesting.

Watch and drawn your own conclusions though. These are just mine.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:40:05 PM by Sindra »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2023, 04:09:47 PM »
Two episodes in and it's pretty crap, and then I get to the singing burial and feel like shutting this shit off for good, lol. This is boring.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2023, 07:16:59 AM »
I just watched most of the last castlevania episode... yeah I'm glad I didn't commit to it. Again, I watched most of the last episode and all I thought was "what in the hell am I watching?" Maria using f words (instead of "good always wins" in a baby voice"), black Annette (look why not make a new character?), random enemies that I question why not use some more familiar ones, no Dracula, no giant castle, and for some reason making the Rondo Maidens fighters...

I mean Richter and Maria look good and it's cool to see Richter using Juste Belmont powers... but not enough to save it.

If you liked it, more power to you. I just wasn't into it.

Tags:

anything