Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586655 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #870 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »
Just bought a new PS4 system that came bundled with the game Destiny. So far I like what I'm playing. Fans of Halo should feel at home with this title.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #871 on: September 11, 2014, 02:33:30 AM »
Played through Guerrilla War on the NES once again. It's a nice standby title, much like the 2 NES Contra games, or the first 2 Double Dragon games, where you want to just knock out a game quickly because you can't think of anything else to pick up. This is like the exact opposite of Ikari Warriors, but in a good way. Incredibly fun game.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: September 14, 2014, 02:08:42 AM »
Just got two games in the mail: Kid Dracula for Famicom, and Bucky O'Hare for the NES. The latter is pretty awesome...just played through it yesterday. Has all the traits of a good Konami action platformer from back then. I only played through a bit of Kid Dracula so far to see if the cartridge worked. Died at the chicken boss.  :-[
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: September 14, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
+1
and Bucky O'Hare for the NES. The latter is pretty awesome...just played through it yesterday. Has all the traits of a good Konami action platformer from back then.

I agree! This game is one of the few that actually did things with NES hardware that I never though it was able to do. Bucky O' Hare was one of the few NES titles to sport multi-scrolling backgrounds giving the game just that much more depth to it. That, and the music was awesome as well. I found a rearrangement of the soundtrack;

Bucky O'Hare Arranged Soundtrack

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 10:41:43 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #874 on: September 17, 2014, 08:29:13 PM »
Outside of a few bouts of multiplayer gaming, I have had zero time to game this year and since moving house, nothing is yet hooked up.
Since I've been unwell the last week, I have resumed my save file of Fire Emblem for 3DS.
Great game, though towards the later chapters it can get a little bit grindy. but I only feel this way because I'm playing on classic/ hard. It becomes very tough not to lose characters in some battles. It is a satisfying game winning battles.

Before this it was Castlevania OOE on Albus mode LV1 max on hard. Got up to Dracula, haven't beaten him yet. It's funny because even on this difficulty I find the stages are much easier with Albus, bosses are easier with Shanoa.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #875 on: September 18, 2014, 01:54:36 AM »
I agree! This game is one of the few that actually did things with NES hardware that I never though it was able to do. Bucky O' Hare was one of the few NES titles to sport multi-scrolling backgrounds giving the game just that much more depth to it. That, and the music was awesome as well. I found a rearrangement of the soundtrack;

Bucky O'Hare Arranged Soundtrack

Hell yes. I've been excited for this game ever since I saw it on YouTube. It's one of those games that I probably wouldn't have given a second glance if I didn't hear how good it was beforehand. It looks and sounds excellent, and plays just as well.

I've made a point of tying up some unfinished games lately. Went back and beat No More Heroes. Great game...loved the boss fights. The "true ending" boss fight was pretty awesome, especially when you can manage to get some wrestling moves in. Makes you feel like a "real man."  :P I was kind of shocked when I got insta-killed by a few of the later bosses, but it's nothing that can't be avoided. I want to start on the sequel right away, but I'll have to hold off for now.

Still need to go back and finish the Strider remake. I started Dark Souls II in the middle of playing Strider, and just haven't gotten back to it yet. Hell, I still have an unfinished Wind Waker game burning in the back of my head each time I find another game to play, and that was from over 5 years ago! I got on the open water and haven't touched it since. One of these days...

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #876 on: September 26, 2014, 03:07:51 AM »
Finally finished Strider. The storyline was a bit dull, but the game was pretty fun to play overall.

I tried giving Actraiser 2 another go, but man, I just didn't like it very much. Too many cheap hits by ghosts that can materialize anywhere. Anyone who hates the medusa heads from Castlevania would curse and scream at these. I actually switched it to easy mode before getting annoyed and just quitting altogether. If anything, I just wanted to go back and play the first game instead.

Started Asura's Wrath tonight. I thought all the QTE's would become grating, but I'm having a blast with it so far. Such a great-looking game, and the story has really sucked me in. Nothing too difficult at all, but still fun nonetheless.

Offline AxeLord

• Hector's #1 Fan
  • Hunter in Training
  • Where's the damn wall meat, Ellis?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #877 on: September 26, 2014, 03:19:29 PM »
Been playing through Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue on PS1. Don't laugh. It's excellent. Also playing though Myst, because why not?
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
but enough talk -
have at you!

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #878 on: September 27, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »
Ive been playin thru SotN on Dracula X Chronicles off and on the past week or so. First time Ive played that version

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #879 on: September 27, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »
AMR2
new demo came out this week that is 50% complete.
"Stuff and things."

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #880 on: September 27, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »
SotN DXC version. I just have to say the detail to the backgrounds is one of my favorite things in the game. Also MGS1.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #881 on: September 29, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Resident Evil 4. Never beat it as a kid (fucking Regeneradores), so naturally bought it when it went on sale on PSN.

Wolfenstein: The New Order and MGS4 again, too.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #882 on: September 29, 2014, 02:26:11 AM »
I was playing Castlevania Chronicles earlier, and I finally made it past Level 2, the part with the raft. The boss is actually pretty easy, and the raft part isn't really that long, but it is so easy to get knocked off.

If you didn't like this stage you will luuurv the clocktower.. That boss is so random too.

Finally finished Strider. The storyline was a bit dull, but the game was pretty fun to play overall.

I tried giving Actraiser 2 another go, but man, I just didn't like it very much. Too many cheap hits by ghosts that can materialize anywhere. Anyone who hates the medusa heads from Castlevania would curse and scream at these. I actually switched it to easy mode before getting annoyed and just quitting altogether. If anything, I just wanted to go back and play the first game instead.

I agree that the Actraiser series had levels that were unforgivingly difficult.. I'm not sure if it was AR1 or 2, but I recall some massive Snow stage which was this vertical tower/shaft, that had an Ice Dragon boss. I don't think I ever passed this.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #883 on: October 06, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
The new smash bros. As far as I'm concerned the ability to customize characters is the best thing they did. I'm really digging the feature.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:38:34 PM by GuyStarwind »

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #884 on: October 06, 2014, 02:06:07 AM »
I played Burning Fight for some stupid reason. Okay, it was to earn more medals on the SNK compilation disk. Man, that game sucks, but it strangely draws you in to its crappiness. SNK's  bad games were even kind of enjoyable.

I went to play Maverick Hunter X on the PSP, and the friggin' thing expired. WTF? So I just popped in the original for the SNES instead. Easily my all-time favorite on the SNES. But back in the day, I was dumb and went through the entire game with the X-Buster, ignoring all the different weaknesses of the bosses.

I just got a Super Famicom from ebay, so I'm waiting for that. The seller also included 2 Tetris games, a DBZ game, plain ol' Space Invaders (???), Street Fighter II, and a transportation sim that I can never hope to understand how to play. That'll keep me busy until I find something I want for it. That, and Akumajo Dracula, but the differences between that and SCVIV aren't much to warrant a separate playthrough.

Tags:

anything