Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 587359 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1020 on: June 11, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Awesome soundtrack! One of the best in the NES era. I'm surprised no one has ever tried to hack the game into the original intended Terminator game. Although, I also always thought it would have made a good base for a spin-off Mega Man hack, too.
That and Darkwing Duck would make a good base for a Proto Man game.

Anyways, I finally tried Dark Souls and I'm currently at level 42. Fucking game is super frustrating at time, yet I love the exploration aspect. That is a lot of fun and the adrenalin rush when you accidentally run into a boss encounter is genuinely thrilling at times.

What I don't get are the times I've heard people compare it to Castlevania. Sure the exploration of a huge castle-like structure is superficially similar, but what the game really reminds me of is a brutal 3D Legend of Zelda 1 more than anything. Hell, if you modded in Link, made dying not cost you your souls and Humanity, and made falling into pits only cost some HP then I'd be playing LoZ1 in 3D. Most of the dark aspects of the game are just fluff text and creepy models anyway.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1021 on: July 01, 2015, 03:30:26 AM »
6 days off in 2 months doesn't leave a man with much gaming time, or energy to game. Finally got a couple days off, pulled out the old Saturn and popped in some Vampire Savior (aka Darkstalkers 3). I am hella rusty at it now, damn. I always found I did better in that series with a PS2 pad on the Darkstalkers Collection, despite the Saturn pad being legendary. The opposite is true of Street Fighter Alpha 2 on PS2 and Saturn, I do a little better on the Saturn pad than I do the PS2 pad. You'd think both games would play the same, not at all. If you go into Darkstalkers trying to play it like Alpha, the CPU will hand you your ass on a plate.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1022 on: July 02, 2015, 04:51:28 PM »
Castlevania 3 has been tough. The bosses are actually super easy for me, only take one or two tries to kill. But the levels, damn.

The graphics in this game are insanely good. I gave CV1 a shot after playing a bunch of CV3, and the difference was night and day. Just the difference in the moss stuck to the castle walls is huge. The art in the Mad Forest is the best art I've seen on NES.

Yeah, still an amazing game all these years later. It's so impressive that they were able to add all of the detail into it and still make it feel like a visual extension of the first game, something which Simon's Quest failed at to a certain degree. The level design is amazingly tight, I think it might be the best in the series as far as ClassicVania style games go.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1023 on: July 03, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
Getting back into Catherine on the hardest setting. It's very rewarding and I haven't played it for about 18 months to
2 years.

Up to the final boss on Muramasa on Kisuke's game in Shigurui mode. Haven't forged a single blade as yet. Already finised Momohime's Shigurui playthrough a couple of years back.

I tend to just pick at games as I haven't had heaps of time the last few years.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1024 on: July 04, 2015, 03:30:58 AM »
I've been playing the hell out of the Streets of Rage remake.

Just unlocked and beat all 16 of the extra challenges. Really no reward for doing it, though.

I've been playing the main game as Shiva. I've always played the SoR games as Axel, but damn is Shiva a badass on this one. He's got awesome speed, power, and reach, making some of the enemies and bosses an absolute joke. And if you have weapons set on SoR2 (meaning that they don't degrade), you become godlike with his katana special. The only drawback is that his crowd-clearing special is a bit weak.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 03:32:34 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1025 on: July 06, 2015, 06:43:17 AM »
Revisited Castlevania Harmony of dissonance

Revisited Rosenkreuzstilette Weißsilber (Alternate mode of Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel) and successfully cleared in one hour after hundreds of fail attempts. The character's sword is really painful to use and have much trouble hitting enemies compared to other close-range weapons like Castlevania whip or Mega Man Zero saber. And it's very weak aside from charge slash or 3rd slash during ground combo

I like the art style of RKS series very much, it's clear and colorful with less dirty things and reminds me the art style of Aria of Sorrow. I love the concept how Sir Michael Sepperin drinks a bottle of blood or something in his throne and shattered the wine glass before fight, it's really Castlevania
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1026 on: July 06, 2015, 10:13:34 AM »
I've been playing a lot of Simon's Quest on my Ouya. It's nice not having to save or deal with passwords.

I'm more playing for inspiration than I am to beat the game again. Simon's Quest is in my top 3 CV's for its music. There is something very ominous and menacing about it.

The worst monsters are human.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1027 on: July 06, 2015, 01:33:45 PM »
+1
I know what ya mean. Its my fav game of all time. Theres plenty of other CVs that look better and maybe sound better but none of em FEEL better than CV2

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #1028 on: July 06, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
Crystalis on the NES. Man, I forgot how much fun that game is and I jist actually beat ir for my first time just yesterday hahaha. Goes to show there are some hidden gems out there that I need to beat as well lol.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #1029 on: July 06, 2015, 05:43:22 PM »
Just beat Majora's Mask 3D.  It was okay.  I don't know if I like it any more than Ocarina of Time 3D.  I definitely prefer the early, 2D Zeldas.  And Link Between Worlds, because it's an awesome throwback.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1030 on: July 06, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »
I've been playing a lot of Simon's Quest on my Ouya. It's nice not having to save or deal with passwords.

I'm more playing for inspiration than I am to beat the game again. Simon's Quest is in my top 3 CV's for its music. There is something very ominous and menacing about it.

Something about the raging of bloody tears on my ear drums while being immersed in that Wallachian environment. I know the graphics are 8 bit and pixelated but when I was a kid it was like I could see real mountains in the background.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1031 on: July 07, 2015, 03:58:00 AM »
I just purchased Splatoon. :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1032 on: July 07, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
+1
I've just finished a second playthrough of AC Revelations.  I admit that I once again cried my eyes out at the end, in Altair's Library.  If I'm not cryong by the time that Ezio finds Altair, I'm crying by the time that in Altair's final memory disk it gives the instruction 'sit in the chair'.  The tears were flwing properly as the camera panned around Altair's chair.... It's heartbreaking stuff.  It's easily one of my top gaming moments.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #1033 on: July 07, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »
+1
Yeah he just sits there... it has nothing else.
And then in the future you find the chair, argh...

When this was over I watched the "Assassin's Creed: Embers".... and then more Manly Tears...
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1034 on: July 08, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »
Yup yup... Ezio.... I miss him already.
Reading the novelization also has the same effect (maybe because the in game scene plays in my mind).

So few games have this effect of making everyone cry at the end.

Tags: