Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Death animations  (Read 2866 times)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« on: February 22, 2021, 09:57:01 AM »
What I particularly loved that many people probably didn’t even notice was the unique death animations each enemy had in SotN. Some monsters just fall over & die, the zombie guards in the Marble Gallery get split in half & yell in agony as blood squirts from their abdomen, other creatures fall apart limb my limb, etc. this attention to detail was amazing. A lot of gruesome death scenes. I recall an old zombie-ish man with his demonic pooch, and if you kill the pooch first, he mourns his death for a few seconds before attacking you in revenge. I think a similar thing happens when you kill an armor knights owl, he gets visibly upset. The Hippogryph doesn’t have a violent death animation, but simply admits defeat & disappears out of reality. It was cool to see because it wasn’t expected.

Do you guys have any favorite death animations?

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 04:06:24 PM »
Diplocephalus because there's a beauty to watching its body explode and sending pieces of itself rolling away. Blade because you've got to applaud that defiant, if futile, last stand of throwing his sword (except in Order of Ecclesia's Hard Mode, where it can actually hurt you this time).

But my absolute favorite is the Lion. If the presence of the Tin Man and Scarecrow in the same area weren't enough to convince you of the Wizard of Oz reference, the way he clutches his nose when you kill him will. It's a nod to when Dorothy slapped him after he tried attacking Toto. Love that detail.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:04:02 PM »
I mostly remember RoB/SotN enemies just exploding into fireballs when they die.

I think Iga is a big Sentai fan.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:32:48 PM »
Boss enemy: Death from Rondo. Love that his head is chopped off by his own scythe.

Common enemy: Discus Lord from SotN. First he shatters, then his pieces are dragged into a black hole that seems to have no relation to what he is.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 02:51:19 PM »
I think I may have made this same topic many many years ago, because SotN's death animations really are a thing of beauty.  It must have been a specific design goal during the creative process, because it's so prevalent during the enemy encounters.  My favorite is the Guardians in the reverse Marble Corridor, or whatever those guys are called.  I love how they just kinda evaporate into magic dust or something.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 10:10:06 PM »
Boss enemy: Death from Rondo. Love that his head is chopped off by his own scythe.

I was not expecting that when it first happened. I was thinking, "damn, that would be cool if..." then the scythe hits him.

My favorite off the top of my head is Richter's death animation in Rondo. Turning into a blood mist might be better suited for a vampire, but I digress. It looked pretty cool.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
Giving both enemy and bosses their own death animations is definitely something cool to showcase in a game. Although it does make me wonder if some of them were intentionally designed or that the designers just had some free time and wanted to show off their mad skillz  8)

either way death animations are much appreciated in CV.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: