Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best jRPGs  (Read 11444 times)

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:28 AM »
Panzer Dragoon Saga - one of the best video games I've played, and one of the most interesting JRPGs so far. It takes about 15 hours to beat, but the English ver. CDs cost like HELL. And... even if they would kill me for this epic crime, I would still play it on my SS emulator. :D I mean it's a great game.

Septerra Core is actually a western game, but it's JRPG, it's long and it's good.

The Desolate Hope is a mix between a platformer and JRPG. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone because of its "experimental" nature, but it's one of my favorites. Really hard beautiful game.

Radia Senki Reimei Hen is TECMO's great JRPG on NES, which is also one of the best.

Samurai Spirits RPG. If you love Samurai Shodown series and can read Japanese - it's a must. 

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 05:26:28 AM »
So, many great games are being listed here. I kinda want to replay Breath of Fire again.

Breath of Fire 3 is my favorite and it had an excellent re-release on the PSP with an updated UI looked great. Only it never came to the US so I had to import the PAL UMD Disc.

And since Sony refuses to release the cable that lets you transfer UMD games in a PSP to a Memory Stick in the Vita, and they refuse to put the game on PSN, I basically keep my old PSP around just to play that.

I am also a fan of Wild Arms, and hope to see another installment in the series one day.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »
At first, I absolutely hated any kind of RPG.  I don't really know why...I didn't like the turn taking style, and I also hated random battles.  I wanted to at least see the enemies so I could try to avoid them.

Then a friend introduced me to Chrono Cross.  You could see the enemies, and for that I was glad.  However, aside from that, something about this game...I just loved it!  When my friend was tired, I made him let me start a new game and I played all night.  I didn't get far though.

Soon after, that friend introduced me to Earthbound, which I loved.  When I went to college, a girlfriend found out I liked Chrono Cross and introduced me to Chrono Trigger.  Somewhere in all this, I found a new love for RPG style games...but I'd have to say those three are the top for me.  You all have listed lots of other good ones!

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
I desperately need to play a Wild Arms game.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
Well 1 and 2 are on PSN, unfortunately XSEED has said that they cannot put 3, 4, or 5 on PSN as PS2 Classics because of problems with the way the games are coded.

I would try to find a copy of Wild Arms: Alter Code F, its a PS2 remake of Wild Arms 1 with additional playable characters.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
At first, I absolutely hated any kind of RPG.  I don't really know why...I didn't like the turn taking style, and I also hated random battles.  I wanted to at least see the enemies so I could try to avoid them.

Then a friend introduced me to Chrono Cross.  You could see the enemies, and for that I was glad.  However, aside from that, something about this game...I just loved it!  When my friend was tired, I made him let me start a new game and I played all night.  I didn't get far though.

Soon after, that friend introduced me to Earthbound, which I loved.  When I went to college, a girlfriend found out I liked Chrono Cross and introduced me to Chrono Trigger.  Somewhere in all this, I found a new love for RPG style games...but I'd have to say those three are the top for me.  You all have listed lots of other good ones!

I still say that the Chrono Cross "Elements" system, combined with the GORGEOUS visuals (and detailed character models), plus Yasunori Mitsuda's amazing soundtrack, are the reasons that game is a total Gem.  Too bad it's constantly overshadowed by Chrono Trigger (which is ALSO a great title).

This tune still brings tears to my eyes:

Chrono Cross OST - The Dream that Time Dreams

I love how at 1:25 it plays part of the Chrono Trigger music. :D

Opening Theme - Chrono Trigger
Hear it here at 1:12
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 10:22:35 AM »
From what I've read on multiple walkthroughs cutting down on game time (the clock) is part of getting the best ending. I may have read them wrong but that's what was mentioned. I'll have to check again since it's been several years.

You need to do some specific actions in three specific chapters, that they wiil make you drop Valkyrie's seal value lower than 35, to trigger the sequences for A ending. If i didn't have read a walkthrough, i would have never found out that for my self.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 12:04:47 PM »
Well 1 and 2 are on PSN, unfortunately XSEED has said that they cannot put 3, 4, or 5 on PSN as PS2 Classics because of problems with the way the games are coded.

I would try to find a copy of Wild Arms: Alter Code F, its a PS2 remake of Wild Arms 1 with additional playable characters.

Oh cool, I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to check them out some time when I get a stable PS3 again.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:50 PM »
IMO... Wild Arms 2 is the best. I couldn't get into any of the others. 1 was okay but I got stuck in the desert or something and I just gave up on it.

Breath of Fire 3 was also my favorite. 4 was pretty awesome as well. I got into the series at 3 so I can't go back to the older ones.

None of them are on the level as Xenogears and Valkyrie Profile for me though.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »
Breath of Fire 3 was also my favorite. 4 was pretty awesome as well. I got into the series at 3 so I can't go back to the older ones.

I tried BoF 4 a while ago but was not thrilled with it. The colors were so washed out that it was putting me to sleep quicker then listening to country western, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
I still say that the Chrono Cross "Elements" system, combined with the GORGEOUS visuals (and detailed character models), plus Yasunori Mitsuda's amazing soundtrack, are the reasons that game is a total Gem.  Too bad it's constantly overshadowed by Chrono Trigger (which is ALSO a great title).

This tune still brings tears to my eyes:

Chrono Cross OST - The Dream that Time Dreams

I love how at 1:25 it plays part of the Chrono Trigger music. :D

Opening Theme - Chrono Trigger
Hear it here at 1:12

That's how my girlfriend at the time came to introduce me to Chrono Trigger.  I had recently bought the soundtrack to Chrono Cross, and one afternoon while we were studying (yeah, we were really studying this time) I was playing the 3rd disc.  She apparently grew up on Chrono Trigger (though never told me she liked games, what's up with that?!), and wigged out a little when she heard the familiar tune!

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:53 AM »
Seiken Densetsu 3, by far my most favorite Jrpg of all time

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 11:00:56 PM »
+2
Speaking of Fire Emblem have you folks seen this?

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »
I tried BoF 4 a while ago but was not thrilled with it. The colors were so washed out that it was putting me to sleep quicker then listening to country western, lol.
Sadly it doesn't really get that interesting until a bit late in to the game.
(click to show/hide)
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 01:35:46 AM »
Breath of fire III is the best of the series for me. Breath of fire IV is also very nice, but like VladCT said, you'll have to make it a little far to the game for it to start getting interesting and yes Fou-Lu is one of my favorite vilains. Also Breath of fire II and I are also great games and  you can play their remakes on GBA.
Ruler of Chaos

Tags: