Poll

Choose who wins the December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest

Chernabogue's "You'll Die at My Place" covering "I'll Sell at My Place" from HoD
3 (33.3%)
Dracula9's remixed "Forest of Monsters" from SCVIV
3 (33.3%)
BairaagiVN's remixed "Silence of Daylight" from CV2
1 (11.1%)
BMC_War Machine's "Stalker" - Followers of Darkness IV
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 30, 2014, 12:56:28 AM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest  (Read 28751 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: December 2014 Castlevania Dungeon MUSIC Contest
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
Ultimate Drums has got the cure for what ails you.
Many varied percussion banks.  I often use them on my tunes so that I'm not stuck with generic drums.
These percussion banks are arguably better than what most people use for their percussion (SGM 2.01's percussion sets).
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »
Hey since this is the first time I'm doing remixing of this sort I'm in need of a little help. I've got my idea all planned out and even have a nice intro for my theme. What I am lacking however is a reasonable library of soundfonts. I'm using Logic Pro X and I'm in dire need of drums/ percussion fonts. Right now I have a timpani and a bunch of synthesizers that do not sound the way I need them to. Cheers to whoever helps me.
If you're willing to invest money, buy Addictive Drums. One of the best VST I ever tried for drums. (Basically, it's a virtual drumkit with lots of customizable stuff.)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 08:15:01 AM »
Actually Jorge, I prefer SGM's Power kit over Ultimate's.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2014, 08:23:53 AM »
As you know, I mix and match.

As for VSTi's, they can also try "Drumkit from Hell" or "Kontakt" percussion sets.  Those are pretty great as well, but they asked specifically for Soundfonts.

As for Soundfonts... yeahhhh.... about that...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:28:43 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
Ssshiiiieeeeeetttt... You do back that stuff up regularly, right? Can't imagine losing all of that in a freak accident.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
Oh hey I'm not the only one with a huge soundfont folder

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 09:01:27 AM »
Ssshiiiieeeeeetttt... You do back that stuff up regularly, right? Can't imagine losing all of that in a freak accident.

You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
Look into the Unison, SGM, and Timbres of Heaven soundfonts. They have great drumkits.

I'd post them myself but the latter two are very large files, and with how wonky Mediafire's been acting with me lately I don't think it would comply with them.

Cheers, in the process of acquiring them right now but listened to some samples and especially SGM sounds awesome.

Also Jorge, awesome I'm getting that one too. Should give me a better base to work with.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:52:51 AM by Donvermicelli »

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Timbres of heaven download from midkar seems to fail every time I try, does anyone know of any other mirrors?
Edit: I hate to be asking for this much help but I've looked all over google but the program I'm using(Logic Pro X) uses EXS24 in order to import sf2 files into it's sample bank, however ALL Rhythm FX seems to be working but all of the other ultimate drums sound like a tribal barrel drum and half of the SGM ones do too(other half contained in SGM do work) anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:02:04 PM by Donvermicelli »

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »
Hey guys  :) i just threw this together in about 30 mins, still has plenty to be done to it but just to give you the idea so far

Stalker - Followers of Darkness IV
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/154xg465353lecc/Stalker_-_Followers_of_Darkness_IV_preview_by_BMC_War_Machine.mp3

I wanted to take something that really wouldn't sound like a boss track at all for the challenge lol.  This is all the midi based parts that are being used (i'll probably add more later for some flair), the rest will be live instruments.
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »
Timbres of heaven download from midkar seems to fail every time I try, does anyone know of any other mirrors?
Edit: I hate to be asking for this much help but I've looked all over google but the program I'm using(Logic Pro X) uses EXS24 in order to import sf2 files into it's sample bank, however ALL Rhythm FX seems to be working but all of the other ultimate drums sound like a tribal barrel drum and half of the SGM ones do too(other half contained in SGM do work) anyone have a clue as to why this might be happening?
Does ultimate drums have an eq setting in there?  I use EZDrummer 2 and i always set mine to "Dry" on the EQ, that dampens things out and turns the room noise off completely.  Maybe try a high and low pass filter?  That might help out the boomy sound of the tribal drums - hope it helps  ;D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2014, 10:38:39 AM »
Ultimate Drums is a soundfont, not a VSTi, so I'm not sure if there will be settings that change the wet/dry level.  I usually just couple it with a VST for that track if I want to make it more sparce-sounding, though there are enough patches in there for quite a few things.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
Does ultimate drums have an eq setting in there?  I use EZDrummer 2 and i always set mine to "Dry" on the EQ, that dampens things out and turns the room noise off completely.  Maybe try a high and low pass filter?  That might help out the boomy sound of the tribal drums - hope it helps  ;D
EZD2 is way better than most of the drum stuff you can find on the Internet. ;)

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2014, 11:43:34 AM »
EZD2 is way better than most of the drum stuff you can find on the Internet. ;)
haha my bad, EZDrummer 2 was wishful thinking lol, I have EZDrummer, but hopefully ill have EZDrummer 2 in the next few weeks. But definitely agreed, EZDrummer is IMO t he best out there for studio quality  ;D

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »
Just a helpful reminder: 6 days to go before Christmas day which is also the deadline for all your music submissions.
Do not forget to write a note stating that the said submission is final so that I can compile all entries on the top post.

Tags: