Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle on PS4  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:55:58 PM »
hey, looks like we are getting a Halloween Castlevania treat after all, Haunted Castle on the ps4.  i think this hamster version has been made available in Japan several times, but this is the first time it was downloadable directly in the us as far as i know.  hope it has an easy mode haha.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/arcade-archives-haunted-castle/cid=UP0571-CUSA09306_00-HAMPRDC000000001

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 02:02:44 AM »
Yeah, it has an easy mode. It also allows unlimited continues.

It's kind of weird but nice how it works: you can select unlimited continues, use credits to refill your health, and falling into a pit just sets you back to a checkpoint (the only penalty is that the timer doesn't reset when you go back to a checkpoint, so you can run out of time pretty easily if you're having trouble with a level). Kind of a nice way to experience a game that's pretty frustrating otherwise.

It also has the NA, JP and EU versions all available in the game. I don't even remember what the differences are, I just played the JP version tonight.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:13:42 AM »
The differences are mostly default damage and enemy patterns, far as I can tell. The US version has the bats fly in a pretty steep arc, so they're tougher to hit; and its damage seems to be around four hits and you're dead.

I'm glad the three versions are offered and that you can tweak the difficulty individually. The Japanese PSN release only had the Japanese version. Allowing for infinite continues goes a long way in making this game more tolerable.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 05:50:44 AM »
And still the game limits me so I can't just keep putting in quarters and mashing Start to give myself infinite health.

poopy.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
Probably the worst castlevania ever made due to completely unfair difficulty.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:50:49 AM »
Better than nothing... maybe?
Oh, wait. I don't have a PS4.
I guess "nothing" it is.
"Stuff and things."

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
I bought the Japanese version on PSN a few months ago.  When you push the touchpad, it brings up a ton of options, but I can't understand what any of them do.  Does the US version have a ton of configuration too?  If so, I'll buy it.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:23 AM »
Yeah, all the Arcade Archives and ACA Neo Geo titles have a good number of game/control/video options. One of the more fun games to fiddle around with is The Ninja Warriors, and that's down to having all sorts of different ways to present the three-screen setup.

I normally turn all filters and scanlines off (since the latter blur the image—i.e., they're crappy scanlines), but for this game it's fun to make it look all wonky.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline MathUser2929

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
I didnt know it was gonna have options to make the game beatable. I think I may look into getting this after all.

Tags:

anything