Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread  (Read 24274 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »
Slayers is very cool, I've watched it on TV yearz ago (not all episodes).

Yep, great high-fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons parody. That stuff was apparently all the rage in Japan in the late 80s/early 90s. Shame that trend seems to be almost forgotten in Japan now, aside from the national obsession with Dragon Quest.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
Watched "Mind Game", some Naruto movies, and, um... what else... oh "Eve no Jikan" this weekend.

I hate Studio 4*C's style, but I still actually liked "Mind Game" by the time it was over. I was just sitting here thinking, "Damn... This is getting to be such a motivational movie!" Then by the end I was more like, "Why do I suddenly have the urge to watch 'DOA' or 'Sharkskin Man, Peach Hip Woman' again?" Love those trippy Japanese yakuza movies.

As for "Eve no Jikan", I didn't think it was that great, but the story was still good enough to hold my interest. Was a decent sci-fi story. Everyone's worried robots will take over the world, but they just want to be treated like everyone else and sometimes they just wanna go where everybody knows their name and they're always glad they came. They want to be where they can see their troubles are all the same.

The Naruto movies were meh. The one where Madara sends them to another reality where Naruto's parents are alive and Sakura's are dead was nice, but then it just made me hate Sakura even more because she gets a chance to see for herself how much Naruto's life sucked, but in the alternate reality people still like her and dote on her, whereas Naruto was always an outcast. And after all that, she still chases after Sasuke and disses on Naruto. She never actually learned anything and remained a spoiled, selfish brat. Watched the Blood Prison one too and that almost bored me; it was too predictable. Have some other movie I downloaded a couple nights ago I'll watch tonight. Usually just use YouTube, though.

Oh and watched the 3D CG .hack\\ movie. ... Also meh. Same as all the others. Weak story. Weakest of all the .hack\\ productions. Looked like it was made in MikuMikuDance too.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
Just finished "A Letter To Momo". Debuted end of 2011, released 2012. It was written and directed by Hiroyuki Okiura, who worked with Satoshi Kon a lot and has been a key animator in a lot of big name anime; it shows. Watching this movie was like watching all those anime he worked on meshed together. Apparently it took 7 years to make, but the writing I think was still a little rough. The animation though was superb, as is to be expected from Okiura and Production I.G.

Cute story, if not troperific. Widow and her daughter move to a different town and the girl is all alone. Three trouble-making spirits appear as guardians watching over the girl and her mother until the spirit of the girl's father reaches heaven (aka "The Sky"). The spirits are trouble-makers, frequently stealing food and odds & ends, so the girl threatens to break the spirits' pass back to heaven if they don't behave. When the mother suffers from horrible asthma attacks during a severe typhoon and the girl runs out of the house to find a doctor, the spirits come to the girl's aid even though it could cost them their lives because they interfered with natural order. 

... Yeah, it's basically My Neighbor Totoro with demons instead of fuzzy pillow-pals. Entertaining movie, but felt a bit long. The spirits were hilarious. There's one scene where the biggest spirit pushes the girl off a ledge into water and then cheers her on. And Mame, the littlest spirit, is so damned cute and loveable, even though he looks like Gollum.

Offline Mangoaxe5

• A Rotted Heart
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • mangosgooddreams
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 05:37:59 AM »
My favorite anime is Vampire Knight.

I also like Elfen Lied, Deadman Wonderland, Soul Eater, Big O, and the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 10:17:05 AM »
Weelll, just finished Death Note. Pretty much the best I've seen. And this coming from someone who can't stand about 90 % of anime.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »
Death Note was my top anime at some point, until I discovered Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
Dragon Ball Z was my favourite anime at some point, until I discovered a lot of other series  :P

Seriously, I still love the Freezer's saga, and I really like the Majin Boo saga.
But right now DBZ is not in my top 10 anime rank.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 12:58:06 PM »
Dragon Ball is and always will be in my top rank, but mystery genre is high above.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 02:51:21 PM »
Dragon Ball is and always will be in my top rank, but mystery genre is high above.
DB, you mean DBZ?
I am speaking strictly from my personal tastes here.
Because I think DB (the old series, with kid Goku) is too childish for my tastes, and DBGT is just plain terrible. One of the worst anime I watched.
But DBZ yes, I'll always like it (except the most part of the Cell saga).
Today, I have watched so many great anime series that it's impossible for DBZ to remain on my top 10, but of course I like it.
By heart, without checking my written list, I can think of Elfen Lied, Haruhi Suzumiya No Yuutsu (2 seasons), Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka (2 seasons), Rosario to Vampire (2 seasons), Sora No Otoshimono (2 seasons), Ano Hana, Angel Beats, High School DxD (2 seasons), Dance in the Vampire Bund, Magipoka, Mayoi Neko Overrun, Moetan, Cyber Team in Akihabara, Full Metal Alchemist (2 seasons)... and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few series, but that's already like 20 anime I like more than DBZ, and the same happens to other older anime like Pokémon, Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Saber J / J to X... I still like them a lot, but there's plenty of anime series I like better now.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
DB as in DBZ, DB is funny and cool but isnt in my top list I think.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »
... the same happens to other older anime like Pokémon, Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Saber J / J to X... I still like them a lot, but there's plenty of anime series I like better now.

I disagree. Well, I can't disagree that you like newer anime more, but for me the old anime are still at the extreme top of my lists.

Slayers will always be no.1 for me.

Record Of Lodoss War will be up there near it until I die.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor will always be one of my all-time faves.

Saber Marionette J will probably be the only harem anime (in essence that's what it is) I ever like -- all because of Megumi Hayashibara.

I watched all of Rurouni Kenshin and read the manga; the same can hardly be said for shows in a similar vein like Naruto or Bleach -- I think those shows are crap... but Naruto's games are fun.

Cowboy Bebop will undoubtedly be in the top ten.

Serial Experiments Lain was, is, and always will be one of the best avant-garde cyberpunk anime ever.

Angelic Layer is my favorite CLAMP series, although CCS may be close.

Samurai Champloo is still one of the funniest anime I've ever seen and continue to watch, surpassing Excel Saga, which was one of those nostalgic anime I mentioned (I buy the Excel Saga manga as they get released stateside).

Paranoia Agent, while it could be considered a newer anime, will always, always, always be in my top ten list regardless of whatever anime may come out next or that I may "catch up on."

Haibane Renmei was probably the latest addition and skyrocketed

FLCL was fucked up crazy good and that one song is stuck in my head.

Azumanga Daioh got me into Yotsuba&!, so it rightfully secured its position in my top 20 list.

.hack//Sign is one of the series I continue to watch over and over.

Mai-HiME was an immediate favorite of mine and the third anime with OST by Kajiura (I think... Noir, then .hack//Sign, then Mai-HiME).

Full Metal Panic was one of my college faves.

Full Metal Alchemist (first series) is another that slithered its way into my list.

Mononoke immediately leapt into the top ten list from day one; coupled with the Bakeneko story from Ayakashi.

Jigoku Shoujo may be hanging on somewhere around 19 or 20, always leaving a bad taste in my mouth when I watch it.

Bokurano is probably 18 or 19 in my list; the opening theme lured me to it and the ceaselessly depressing content kept me watching it all the way to the depressing end.

Surprise, surprise, Hikaru No Go is and perhaps always will be one of my favorites -- 72 or so captivating episodes about a board game... A BOARD GAME!!

So far I've only considered series. Including short OVAs and movies makes things harder. Urotsukidouji. Vampire Princess Miyu. Magical Twilight (the hentai with student witches). Paprika. Perfect Blue. Millenium Actress. Tokyo Godfathers. Metropolis. Mononoke Hime. Spirited Away. Vampire Hunter D. Macross Plus (how this doesn't at least make top 20 on everyone's list is proof hope is lost for humanity). The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (okay, it's a recent entry like Paprika, but the original premise is old, so it counts). Voices of Distant Stars. Heisei Tanuki Taisen PonPoko. Grave of the Fireflies. Neko No Ongaeshi.

Some anime that I liked that have fallen out of favor:
GS Mikami (I can't find subtitles, so I just sit there watching raws mindlessly).
Risky Safety (the girl annoyed me, but Risky and Safety were so cute).
Desert Punk (immature humor...).
Excel Saga (see above).
Shinesman.
Astrofighter SunRed (not really fallen out of favor, but it's just somewhere in the lower 40).
Magic Knight Rayearth (got me into CLAMP, but preferred the manga).
GeGeGe no Kitaro (when you've seen one season, you've seen them all... literally).
Hellsing (I'll try to get back into it one of these days, but it got pushed out of my list pretty fast).
Mahoujin GuruGuru (still fun to watch, but nowhere near the top anymore).
Yoma (watch it every now and then, but don't like it anymore).
Ninja Scroll (yeah, it got bumped down).
Akira (still one of the most badass soundtracks of all time the world over, though).
Dirty Pair (love, love , love the series... but it's not that good).
Nekojiru (makes you feel dirty for liking it BECAUSE YOU ARE DIRTY FOR LIKING IT).
Noir (bored the fucking piss out of me, but I always got the urge to play a FPS after watching it).
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Gainax's flagship kinda just didn't hold up very well for me).
Haunted Junction (teenaged girl sexually harassing deceased children can only carry a show for so long).
Inuyasha (lost interest as the series dragged on). Naruto (see above notes).
Ranma 1/2 (as you can see, Rumiko's works haven't held up over time for me).
Project A-Ko (the original will always be dear to me, but that's nostalgia at its finest).
Shamanic Princess (loved the style, but that was about it in the end).
Bubblegum Crisis (still great cyberpunk, but not in my top 20).
Alien Nine (watched it, fell asleep, got mind-fucked at the end -- what the fuck man that big alien at the end?!!).
Panty & Stocking w/Garterbelt (hahah, this one is like, top 25 or so for me; still funny because it's still recent).
Pita Ten (my first purely moe anime fave, although it became somewhat forgettable).
Ichigeki Sacchu! Hoihoi-san (pure moe love, but when I'm honest with myself it's nothing special).

Most anime's just about hype. And most anime start off good and then blow chunks starting around episode 40. Sometimes they start off boring and only get good around episode 40. And then sometimes they're good throughout. I haven't seen many of that last kind.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 08:11:08 PM »
TheouAegis, try Danganronpa, since our tastes seems to be similiar in some parts.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 08:21:36 PM »
Slayers will always be no.1 for me.

What did you think of the more recent Seasons 4 and 5? I've not seen them yet. Assuming you're in the US you can see them here http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWz3baHSUTDBI and here http://www.youtube.com/channel/SWnNJa6Gw_RTg
I just finished season 2 the other day and I've still kinda got "A Maiden's Prayer" stuck in my head lol.

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:34 PM »
Revo? Didn't like it as much. Was still entertaining, but something just felt off. For whatever reason it lacked the charm of S1 and Next. Even Try seemed better to me. But I still liked it. And all the movies. Even though I don't understand a lick of dialogue in them, I like the Sega Saturn games too (I guess they're the same ones on Playstation, but I don't have a Playstation). Too bad the games are so easy, but they're still fun in a way.

Danganronpa
Watched an episode halfway through the series. Was put-off by the design. Read the wikipedia entry on the game. Sounds interesting, if I can just get past the style.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »
Design is like graphic quality in bits to me: doesnt matter. I know that its not possible to everyone, so Im happy that I can do that xD

Its really good and is only getting better. But okay, you at least checked it and know it exists :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~