Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What books/comics have you been reading lately?  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: What books/comics have you been reading lately?
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »
I just got my copies of the Marvel Masterworks series Uncanny X-Men vol. 1 and 3 in the mail today! They're collections of the X-Men comic books that take place in the main universe (Earth 616). I've read the first two stories in vol. 1, and it's pretty entertaining. I skipped vol. 2 because it's so damn expensive. I know it contains all of the Phoenix Saga issues, but damn, that's more than I'm willing to spend at the moment. I'm just now really starting to get into the X-men (well, really I have been all summer), so it's pretty fun catching myself up with things. There's a lot of material to look into.

I've got the softcover edition of the first Marvel Masterworks collection for Dr. Strange (my favorite Marvel hero) and I'm very pleased with it. I prefer original issues when possible but Strange was a back-up character during that period and the stories are short anyway.

In case you don't already know you can get the Dark Phoenix saga more cheaply, albiet in black and white, here http://www.amazon.com/Essential-X-Men-Vol-Marvel-Essentials/dp/0785120076 I like the "essentials" collections alright, but they are very cheaply bound so look at the pictures and make sure they're in good condition if you buy them used. I had my copy of "Essential Marvel Horror vol. 1"** come apart on me when I didn't.

Not really reading anything myself atm, though this reminds me there's an "Essential Defenders" volume I should read more of.

**Really "Essential Son of Satan / Satana the Daughter of Satan" but I guess the marketing guys didn't think that was as catchy, also it allowed them to make "Essential Marvel Horror vol. 2" which focuses mostly on Brother Voodoo.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:27:58 AM by Ratty »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
You give pirates too much credit. Not something I would have expected from someone who on the other hand has insisted pretty much all criminals who are in prison deserve to be there, and that prison conditions should be as harsh as possible.

Don't mistake observation of reality for praise or support. Piracy may be wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that they provide a service of good as a by product in certain situations. As much as people sometimes hate to admit, if the government ever does get out of control, the pirates will be the ones handing out the goods we need to stop it or prove the corruption. These are, after all, the people who run sites like wikileaks.

Another thing to consider is, pirates don't all live in the USA. The most prominent and effective pirates, in fact, do not.

I truly believe that I am not overestimating them and their affiliated groups, but that people greatly underestimating them.

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2012, 06:37:29 PM »
I got the first issue of the new Gambit comic book series. Gambit is my favorite member of the X-Men, so it's cool that he has his own comic book series' from time to time that show you what kinds of things he's up to when he's not doing X-Men things. In this issue, he goes all James Bond on a rich guy who collects technology that's left over after conflicts between Marvel heroes and supervillians. Being a professional thief, Gambit is out to see what he can get out of this, and uses his position as a teacher and bodyguard at Jean Grey's institute to get in, then the fun starts. It's really action-packed, and well-written. He does subtle things when interacting with people at the party, and it all comes together once he starts infiltrating the.. I guess it's an incredibly high-tech safe. Sort of.

I can't wait for future issues, as it really looks like this could turn out to be a great side series.

In case you don't already know you can get the Dark Phoenix saga more cheaply, albiet in black and white, here http://www.amazon.com/Essential-X-Men-Vol-Marvel-Essentials/dp/0785120076 I like the "essentials" collections alright, but they are very cheaply bound so look at the pictures and make sure they're in good condition if you buy them used. I had my copy of "Essential Marvel Horror vol. 1"** come apart on me when I didn't.

Well ideally I'd like to collect all the Marvel Masterworks series books, as they have all the main stories for the series in very good quality. I may settle for getting vol. 2 of Uncanny X-Men used if I can indeed get it in good condition. The "new" prices for that one are ridiculous, but I see that there are some good deals on used ones on Amazon.

I've actually finished volume 1 now, but I feel like I should wait until I have 2 before I start 3. Volume 1 had some cool bonus stuff at the end, with conceptual drawings for characters that didn't make the cut, and some artist guidelines for how future artists should draw the characters. It's really neat to read the little notes written next to them, identifying key important features like Nightcrawler's darkness around his face, and Colossus's metal form retaining the muscle shape from his normal form.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 06:49:13 PM by Gecko »
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Finished a volume of "The Essential Defenders" and enjoyed it greatly. Then moved on to "Doctor Strange: The Oath" which I've had for a long time and hadn't gotten around to reading.
I'll tell you this much- it is hella jarring to go straight from reading a story for a superhero character in the 70s to one written within the last decade.
In one story Dr. Strange is helping to defeat the Dread Dormammu's attempt to take over our universe, in the other he is dealing with the inoperable cancer of his manservant and friend Wong, and the responsibility of having a cure for all illnesses. In either case Strange rocks.
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Theme of Dr. Strange
I was erked by the more flippant tone of "The Oath" at times but if you're going to have such solemn subject matter in your superhero story you better bring some comic relief. It was interesting to see Strange think and act as an MD since that's a part of his character that's not often explored.

I also finished the 3rd Ravenloft novel "Dance of the Dead". Twas an alright fantasy in a toned down bodice-ripper/female empowerment mold.

Thinking I might read "Showcase Presents: Hawkman" now, read part of the first story and it's delightfully goofy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:46:09 PM by Ratty »

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
I don't really read that much anymore because college pretty much weened it out of me.

Also, fuck the law for putting people in jail for downloading shit, and fuck this gay earth even more for harboring a species that has been to the moon yet can't stop being butthurt over copyright infringement.
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:08 AM »
Catching up on One Piece...

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
Catching up on One Piece...

I could never get into One Piece despite several attempts. Not that it's a bad series, just doesn't click with me. I need to catch up on Berserk, it's been a year and a half at least since I looked into it, Miura might have released 2 or even 3 whole chapters by now lol.

I'm a little over halfway finished with “The Daughter of Fu Manchu” the 4th of 14 volumes of sadly extremely popular and influential*, and also virulently racist, tales written from the 1910s to late 1950s.
I find reading such books an invaluable insight into understanding prejudice and popular sentiment, but it all makes me very glad to live today instead of then. It’s funny and sad that millions of people in Britain and America learned everything they knew about “the orient” from Sax Rohmer and his ilk because 90 to 100% of it is all made up.
Oh, really Rohmer, Tibetan monks are evil assassins who wear stuffy hooded camel hair robes and are dedicated to overthrowing western civilization in the name of debauchery and nihilism? Please, tell me more.
The Castle of Fu Manchu - Trailer - Blue Underground

*Aside from having countless copycat “Evil Chinese/Asian Genius” characters in every medium. As well as tons of movies from the 1920s to the 1980s where he was played by white guys, including Christoper Lee in yellowface for 5 films, the character was a big inspiration for James Bond creator Ian Fleming and the “super villain” trope in general.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:23:05 PM by Ratty »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2012, 08:12:50 PM »
I could never get into One Piece despite several attempts. Not that it's a bad series, just doesn't click with me. I need to catch up on Berserk, it's been a year and a half at least since I looked into it, Miura might have released 2 or even 3 whole chapters by now lol.

I can kinda see that. It is something, much like Harry Potter, where it is easier to get into when you've grown with it.

If you can get to the Arlong arc then you'll be hooked though.

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
I decided to pick up the TPB issues for The Immortal Iron Fist, so I've been reading through the series again.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »
Just read Tommysaurus Rex by Doug TenNapel, creator of Earthworm Jim. Wasn't sure how I'd think of him as a storyteller, as I read portions of his more recent works (Ratfist and Cardboard) which were filled to the brim with conservative political/moral commentary, and I just couldn't see the funny in any of it. I hate political commentary in my entertainment, even conservative commentary despite myself being conservative. (Although Doug subscribes more to Sean Hannity type thinking, which is partially braindead.) It's just really trite.

But Tommysaurus Rex is great. Fantastic art/layouting, really funny moments, good story about companionship and forgiveness... Loved it so much I ordered a copy just now. (I checked out a mess of TenNapel graphic novels from the library. And when I use the term "graphic novel," I mean actual GNs, not trade paperbacks/collections of single issues.) Hoping I can enjoy more of his work, because his art is amazing and I'd hate some lame stories to spoil that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
+1
Im reading Worlds of Power: Simon's Quest, Im right now in the middle of the book and its as terrible as everyone is saying until now, the only cool thing is that they tried to explain better about the curse, riddles and the woman that appeared to Simon. Also they introduced a Troll in CV in this story, what only happened in SOTN in-game. Im looking forward for more interesting things to happen, since we can ever filter the bad things, pick the good ones and try to use them somewhere.

edit: I have finished reading it now, its really 95% shitty if you dislike these kind of stories made for kids with a moral in the ending. I liked it a bit, but they changed some parts from Dracula (Dracula's foot, Dracula's brain? wtf?) and jumped almost all the story, they depicted only the first mansion, also Death is called Thanatos and have a energy shied protecting him. They found a old woman and a friendly Troll in the first mansion, a dumb and friendly Giant Slime in a swamp and "Thanatos" in a forest I think.

Its so bad that the ferryman and the gypsies didnt even appeared, atleast they tried to explain why the people lies and say things in riddles, also the tornado is used to reach Castlevania's Death Tower, not the mansions. They revive Dracula there and have a boring battle.

I think that only 5% of this story can be used for something, like a fangame or fanfic or whatever else. If you hated Johnathan way, you will try to kill this children lol
 He talks almost all time about chocolate and bad puns. They included some hints to the game as well, but even in that they failed. They said about throwing holy water to discover fake blocks only almost in the end, while they said some another clues that you only will use almost in the end of the game in the beggining of the book. I only recommend that you read this if you are a really hardcore fan that wants to see everything about castlevania, even the shitty ones.
 I understand thats it an old book and all, but even so I didnt think that even when they launched this it are a good book for the standards of the time, but who knows?

What can be used:
-A Troll mid-boss/boss inside the first mansion.
-A Dogether inside the first mansion guarding one of Dracula's parts. (they said its a giant eye with a mouth, since they didnt mentioned a "tail" I thinks its not a peeping eye)
-A old woman with a fat cat trapped inside a room with bricks. (you use the holy water to open this place, inside there exists her room and a entrance for a dungeon, where you find the friendly Troll, since its not Super Mario we can turn the Troll in a boss.)
-A guy that have a shop anti-vampires, he sells garlic, crosses, laurels, etc. All these kinds of items. We can change that if necessary lol
-A priest in the church gives you holy water after you donate some money for the church.
-Giant Slime boss in swamp.
-Dracula's curse turning all transylvania dark, even when its not night, nights are even more darker.
-Dracula's trying to possess Simon tempting him with the seven deadly capital sins.(?)
-Linda lol. She appeared to give some hints when Simon used his gold ring or a orb/crystal in front of some signposts or a mirror in the anti-vampire shop.
-Dracula's being weak against a creampie and paper planes (now thats Im really joking about this being a good idea, but they actually made him weak to puns in this book)

Its all that I remember for now to point as useful for something.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 05:46:41 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2012, 08:45:50 PM »
I've been reading "The Mask of Fu Manchu" which for what it's worth has been better written as an espionage story than "Daughter". But its misrepresentation and clear lack of understanding of even the basics of the Islamic religion are completely ridiculous and laughable. Fu Manchu attempting to get the sword and mask of a author-just-made-it-up "Islamic saint, who claimed to be God incarnate" so he can pose as said "saint" to start a revolution in the middle east being the gist of the plot.

But right now I'm drawn away from the 1932 farce of "Mask" to a book I ordered for my October/Halloween reading. "Weird Vampire Tales: 30 Blood-Chilling Stories from the Weird Fiction Pulps" so far it looks very promising. I love pulp stories and I love classic vampires. I've also got a few more books on order for Halloween. "The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men"* a fairly large short story collection and "The Vampire Archives: The Most Complete Volume of Vampire Tales Ever Published" a 900 odd page collection of short stories and novellas, with a 100 or so page bibliography of Vampire books being notables among them. Needless to say these will be enough to keep me reading long after October.

*Reprint of "The Mammoth Book of Werewolves" with an extra story. Retitled to tie-in with the 2009 "The Wolfman" movie.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:04:49 PM by Ratty »

Tags: