Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A Letter to All Iga-Vania Fans From a LoS Fanatic  (Read 35405 times)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: A Letter to All Iga-Vania Fans From a LoS Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »
Been some time since I posted in the actual Castlevania forum rather than the off-topic place, but I guess it couldn't hurt for me to give it a decent shot.

First off, to the OP: I won't mock you for liking LoS, and I respect your opinion. I also respect the amount of thought you've put into your posts as well as the empathy you display by comparing your experience as a CV fan disappointed with changes in the series to similar experiences (some) SoTN fans have felt over these new changes. It demonstrates an ability to put yourself in another person's shoes, which is something I wish more people had these days.

However, I'm with PFG. While I haven't been gaming as long as you have, maybe--the first system I have clear memories of is the Super Nintendo--I have been playing sinc SCIV and...not Rondo of Blood, but Dracula X on the SNES. While I love IGA's games, I am very much not opposed to the classicvanias either. Now, I haven't played LoS yet (I'll get on that soon...it's coming in the mail from amazon.com) but I think the good PFG's post spells out many reasons why retro fans might not like it very much. Since I haven't played the game, again, I won't criticize too much. But from the bits of soundtrack I've listened too and the gameplay I've seen on Youtube, it does have some problems--no music is as good or even as distinctive as, say, Aquarius from CV3, and the action doesn't look too great either--not bad, but despite some Shadow of the Colossus-style fights not that different from most other action games. Maybe my opinion will change once I play it, but for now, here's another retro-CV fan backing up PFG in saying you don't speak for all of us. Prunyuu~~
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 12:54:12 AM by Gunlord »

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 03:10:19 AM »
This post of mine will come off a bit odd as only a month or two ago I was saying how Lords of Shadow is pretty good, but a few more hours in and I found myself yawning. First few stages were pretty damn cool with good atmosphere and fun level design. Whipping the shit out of and then raising the beam to impale the Warg? Awesome. Trudging through a spooky swamp? Also cool.

Then the gameplay started relying more and more on "whip, dodge, whip again, dodge, whip, whip, dodge, dodge, dodge," repeat. Those spiders are boring as hell to fight against, and I hate how the game pretty much forces you to go about killing them a certain way, rather than letting the gamer play the game in the way they see fit with their style of strategy.

Castlevania just isn't a hack and slash series and never should be, but at least Lament of Innocence had lasting atmosphere and pretty colors to make up for the mundane, not-very-Castlevania-like gameplay. I still feel the N64 games approached the series in 3D the best so far.

I'm an old school fan, been in love with the series since I first laid eyes on Simon's Quest as a tyke and was able to play Super Castlevania IV at my cousin's place. (My fam didn't get a Super NES until Christmas '92.) Grew up on Castlevania, even if most of my exposure to it didn't come until the late '90s. Symphony of the Night is up there with the greats in the old style of gameplay, although the post-SOTN Metroidvanias often left much to be desired. They still offered some cool gameplay, however.

Critical as I was of IGA, he at least kept alive familiar elements of the series. As a fellow classic, whip-toting CV fan, LOS just...doesn't feel much like Castlevania. By the time I got to the ice giant and had to climb atop him, I finished that level feeling like I'd rather be playing Shadow of the Colossus and other better, more aspiring games. LOS feels like a retread of so many games I've played before but coupled into one, and little of it has any sort of Castlevania flavor, classic or otherwise.

Endless ledge-grappling is also tiresome. I can only think of one moment where it was actually fun, and it's when you're crossing a broken bridge and need to use your whip in all sorts of ways to get across. That was enjoyable. I didn't see much of that.

Who knows where the series will go from here? I'm not sure I want more IGA recycle jobs—and let's face it, the guy in the last few years focused too much on "expanding" the series but in all the wrong ways (Harmony of Despair, Judgment, that puzzle game, etc. can all eat my dick)—but I want something that gives me the same feelings of excitement that the old games still give me today. Something innovative and full-on yet still looks and feels like Castlevania. It's a lost hope because I know no one's going to give the series the tender loving care it deserves.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 05:04:32 AM »
+1
Holy shit, this thread... Am I the only one who didn't read almost anything from here... I think that's a first. I'm so sick of these threads trying to defend LoS, it's the same arguments being used over and over again.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 07:42:29 AM »
+2
I remember reading this on ScrewAttack.

I'm not sure where I fit into this conversation. I love every iteration of Castlevania in its own way, but I see can also see flaws with all of them. Sure, my favorites will always be the Classicvanias, and I was definitely disappointed when they got wiped from the face of the earth, only later to be revived briefly with DXC and Adventure Rebirth, but I love Metroidvanias too, and I never felt this sense of disinterest with the series that I know some Classicvania fans did when SotN came out. If anything, the worst part of the series was, for me, the period between PoR and LoS. OoE was the first Metroidvania that I never wanted to touch again after I played it. The level design and platforming was as poor as a typical Metroidvania, but it was missing all of the overwrought exploration and constant item drops that makes me come back to Metroidvanias for more. I beat it and I was done with it, and that's when I knew something was going wrong.

When LoS came out, I was excited. It wasn't so much that it was bringing back the Classicvania formula as much as it was bringing back the Classicvania feel. It wasn't a hardcore platformer, and gameplay focused more on actual combat, but what it did do was focus on one dude, with a whip, fighting monsters in a variety of environments, and running through designed, streamlined, challenging levels. I definitely felt that, while this wasn't the Castlevania I knew, it felt nicely familiar in an odd way. The art direction and cinematic-qualities were something new to the series, but they helped expand on the atmosphere of challenge I always got from the older games in a newer, more bombastic way. Instead of constantly looking backwards, which is slowly becoming apparent in beloved series like Legend of Zelda, it looked forwards, and as with pretty much everything in life, when it's time to go forward not everyone wants to go in the same direction.

Good post.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 07:56:45 AM »
+1
Vampire Killer/Simon's Quest are the roots of the exploration-based 'vanias, not Rondo.  And Rondo's layout was obviously based off of Dracula's Curse, what with the branching pathways.
Nah, in the Game Center CX interview with IGA, it's pretty clear he doesn't hold Simon's Quest in that high regard. I'm not sure about Vampire Killer, but I'm assuming Rondo was the main influence, besides Super Metroid ofc, because Symphony is a direct sequel.

But furthermore, Rondo is pretty much a little trove for secrets, what with unlocking Maria, the switches in the Clock Tower, the way you can lengthen the whip, and etc, and it all seems to vibe with Symphony's own particular brand what with its Richter, numerous instances of environment interaction like the bookcase, and its own special attacks.

I guess those comparisons are kinda stretching it and implying that Symphony's creativity is derived from Rondo, and I don't really mean that.

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »
Nah, in the Game Center CX interview with IGA, it's pretty clear he doesn't hold Simon's Quest in that high regard. I'm not sure about Vampire Killer, but I'm assuming

But furthermore, Rondo is pretty much a little trove for secrets, what with unlocking Maria, the switches in the Clock Tower, the way you can lengthen the whip, and etc, and it all seems to vibe with Symphony's own particular brand what with its Richter, numerous instances of environment interaction like the bookcase, and its own special attacks.

First off, so are Vampire Killer and Simon's Quest.

Secondly, lengthening the whip has been in the series since?  Oh, that's right.  THE FIRST GAME.

Finally, I find it interesting that you complain about Rondo and how it drifted away from Castlevania and then mention the minor puzzles it has.  What did Lords of Shadow have?  What do you claim Lords of Shadow did for you again?  And yet Rondo is 'the beginning of a betrayal'?

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
The difference is that Rondo's doesn't work with a powerup. The length increase is a secret move for when you press Forward just as you are attacking, and it gives the whip a slight reach advantage on that attack. You will know when you've performed it because the whip will flash white. You must do this every time to get the length increase.

Offline KyleVoakes

• Hunter in Training
  • Suffering Like G Did?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
Hey, Gaawa-Chan. I replied to your spoiler post. Yeah, it is VERY long indeed, so I've put it as a spoiler myself.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »
Simply by saying that you hate LoS could have sufficed. Saying it like this makes you seem a bit spiteful.

I was using the same exact language you used to describe the metroidvanias. Now who is the spiteful one?
I considered using different language but I have a weird sense of humor, so...

I don't see how the LoS story is made up of rehashing old plotlines.

X is out trying to save love interest.  X has another guy, Y, that he trusts following him around/helping/encouraging him.  X actually killed his love interest because of Y, who then turns on X.

Gabriel is an obvious meshing of Leon and Mathias.  Zobek is an obvious meshing of Mathias and Death.  If you have played Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness the similarities are undeniable.

Anyway, that's all I have to say on the matter.  I disagree with you.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 01:06:29 PM »
X is out trying to save love interest.  X has another guy, Y, that he trusts following him around/helping/encouraging him.  X actually killed his love interest because of Y, who then turns on X.

When you start throwing in "X" and "Y" for characters reducing a whole plot to three sentences, similarities are bound to pop up.

Quests for love interests and sidekicks being present are pretty typical of just about any adventure story, so I won't even discuss that, but as for X killing his love interest because of Y, it's done completely differently in LoI and LoS. If anything, you could call it a reference, but "rehashed" is a bit much.

1. Marie is dead at the beginning of the game. Sara is not.
2. Gabriel is mind controlled. Leon is not.
3. Sara's death, while indirectly caused due to Mathias, is ultimately a willing decision made by Leon and Sara, and ends up being for the greater good. Marie's death, however, is a direct and unfortunate machination of Zobek, has no positive effect.
4. Leon immediately turns on Dracula. Zobek, however, bursts into flames and disappears for what seems to be hundreds and hundreds of years.
5. Leon stays a good guy. Gabriel becomes a bad guy.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 05:45:43 AM »
I think Nagumo or someone mentioned that it was probably intended as canon from the start, but then IGA felt offended by it and kicked it down a pit. Probably because it undermined CVIII or seemed to be riding off of SoTN. Or because Sonia was a woman.

It makes sense for it to have been intended for canon, considering it has Alucard and foreshadows Trevor. CV64 and CoTM pretty much make no direct references to the past games. There's also a quip by Dracula that basically assumes Rondo and SoTN never happened. But then again, Dracula is kinda an idiot.

Recently I found a Japanese Konami magazine and it said Legends was never meant to be canon to begin with, lol. Back in 1997, before Legends was released, they released a timeline in the magazine that was developed as a reference for Symphony of the Night and Legends was on there too. The very next issue, they said the timeline does not to apply to Legends. Two months later the game got released.

That makes sense, since I got the impression that Legends was more trying to overwrite CV3 instead of being a prequel to it.

Also, IGA did mention he "removed" Legends from the timeline, but that must have happend while the game was still in development. It's kind off ironic that Legends got all this slack for conflicting with the rest of the series for years when it just was trying to do its own thing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:53:18 AM by Nagumo »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2012, 12:00:14 PM »
If Legends was trying to do it's own thing then why not release more games of that particular timeline? If Legends is to be the first for it's own timeline then we now have a thousand years to work with. Newer CV games to come in to the mix and they can be all original stories to boot.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this really does seem a generalization that LoS is a return to the roots. Cox keeps saying that, and then contradicting it with the product. I grew up around the Castlevania franchise, and began playing it for myself sometime between II and IV. I love Classicvania. I respect SotN (though I think the "Metroidvania" style went along too far on its own), even if it isn't my favorite. It's fine as a variation, much in the way Simon's Quest was. Let me say this: the Lords of Shadows reboot has been a great disappointment to me. It's fine as a game on its own, but when you put the Castlevania name on it, it just doesn't work. It's not as true to Castlevania in 3D as the N64 titles, and that's with tons more budget and technology behind it, and LoS doesn't substantially improve on what was done on the PS2, which in of itself was a few steps backward from the N64 attempts. We're still stuck with a lot of scripted hallways featuring super-powered, combo-styled beat'em up action, and not dynamic action-platforming. And now, with a new 2.5D game, Mirror of Fate, we're getting a game that doesn't even look like it'll live up to Castlevania IV--even when given free rein on the series. While I thought IGA's reins on the series had led it a little too far off the path, LoS was not the answer. Sure, we have whips and Belmonts back, but at what cost? God of War meets Lord of the Rings meets Shadow of the Colossus meets Uncharted. Didn't anyone consider looking at the meat-and-patatoes gameplay of the N64 games to see what was working and just needed more polish and tech? I am so frustrated with the Castlevania franchise, and I'm sorry, but it irks me when people tell me, a fan of Classicvania, that LoS is the second coming of Classicvania. Kudos to Mercury Steam for making Castlevania some cash (I guess?), but I hope the next reboot is better. Castlevania can be so much more than this.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:13:07 PM by RichterB »

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
+1
maybe you guys should just judge the games on their individual merits instead of caring for castlevania-ness.
because a good game is still a good game. and bad is bad. and lords is lords...

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 06:44:30 AM »
You know full well that is not possible since it's titled "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow".

Tags:

anything