Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Do you think Castlevania is dead?  (Read 49352 times)

Offline angevil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Do you think Castlevania is dead?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
+3
2D platformers are not meant to be played with touch screen control. You can`t have precise controls with a virtual D-pad and virtual buttons. Besides by putting fingers on both sides of screens you hide half of the screen. Seriously, 2D platformers on mobile touch devices are one of the worst ideas.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »
@Esteban
You're taking this way too seriously. No, I'm not trying to "deceive" anyone, nor did I make a mistake.  :P
When I said 'reboot', I meant the Lords of Shadow trilogy as a whole. If a critic's consensus was written, it would look something like this (not necessarily my own opinion): Lords of Shadow was a very solid hack'n'slash RPG driven by a well-conceived plot, showing a lot of potential despite a few issues. Mirror of Fate was a fairly decent 2D spinoff that expanded the LoS lore in interesting ways but wasn't really able to stand out on its own; Lords of Shadow 2 was a disappointing sequel that failed to live up to the original's potential, straying too far from what made the first Lords of Shadow enjoyable.
All in all, it's a pretty mixed bag, especially when you consider that MercurySteam left Castlevania after finishing its vision for the series. I'm just worried that this, along with the sequel's declining sales, might discourage Konami from trying a new reboot, or even from continuing the series at all. But maybe the original spike will have the opposite effect. We really don't know. Hence the term relative failure.

2D platformers are not meant to be played with touch screen control. You can`t have precise controls with a virtual D-pad and virtual buttons. Besides by putting fingers on both sides of screens you hide half of the screen. Seriously, 2D platformers on mobile touch devices are one of the worst ideas.
Pretty much this.

Besides, I'm not particularly fond of mobile gaming. It's small and cumbersome enough to counteract the "on the go" advantage, not to mention that good games are incredibly hard to find among the sea of wannabe mobile hits. And even when you do find a decent one, it usually ends up being so poorly monetized that you'd find yourself giving up after less than an hour of play.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2015, 03:20:50 PM »
The iOS port of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite seems to decent albeit complex touch controls that take some time getting used too from what I heard. If they can pull that off I personally am convinced they could pull off a 2D Castlevania game now or sometime in the future. I think they should definitively at least try. 

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2015, 03:21:53 AM »
Konami could easily do a HD port of LoI/CoD, but I guess it's too late for PS3/X360.
LoI is on PSN under the PS2 Classics section.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2015, 03:51:43 AM »
I dont think so but IGA will do a comback IGA will have a comeback for sure I really hope so give him time but Castlevania is nearly dead myabe....

But WE need a New CAstlevania game next year or this year for sure.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2015, 08:00:41 AM »
IGA left Konami. There is no come back.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
Plus IGA's attempt to create his own studio failed and ended up to work in mobile game industry for a living.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2015, 01:53:17 AM »
It is true he is not Konami studio more but even he is working on mobile game for time so he may come back to Castlevania ago.

He has stated he has dream game on hold. 

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/tgs-2014-castlevania-symphony-of-the-nights-koji-igarashi-puts-independent-dream-game-on-hold

So you need not believe me but I think IGA will come back with a new CV before or since.

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2015, 08:59:03 AM »
It is true that his game was 'onhold' but there's no guarantee that it will happened for sure, sure he still have a free time after work but he also need a leisure time as well as spending his time with his family. I too was an employee and I don't have a mood to do a side work after having an exhausting hours in the office, I'm sure IGA feels the same way too.

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
I understand so IGA what are you doing? Bring back Castlevania;( But if Castlevania came back in 2D I will scream and be happy:)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
Boy what I would give to see what the backlog ideas are for Castlevania at Konami, even if they are just pipe-dreams at this point.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
All because we are not getting yearly releases doesn't mean it's dead. We literally just had a release last February.
"M-MUH NICHE FRANCHISE"

Castlevania used to be mainstream, you know. It used to be a name on people's tongues, right alongside MegaMan and Mario. But after Symphony, that stopped being the case as the games declined in quality and started solely attempting to re-capture Symphony's success on handhelds

It was already niche after Super Castlevania IV. IGA's motivation for making SotN was seeing Castlevania games relegated to the bargain bin in Japan.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »
It was already niche after Super Castlevania IV. IGA's motivation for making SotN was seeing Castlevania games relegated to the bargain bin in Japan.

To be fair all games at one time or another have done time in the 'Bargain bin' so it's not unexpected. Older titles don't exactly sell like hotcakes when compared to the newer releases so they 'bin' them and sell 'em cheap.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
IMO, I think that was the time during the near-death or the death of 8-bit and 16-bit era, that's why they ended up in bargain bin so IGA's reason to make SOTN is possibly not valid.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
It's a bit delusional to argue Castlevania somehow wasn't in a pinch before SotN, yet before LoS it was. Seems a little selective to me.

Tags:

anything