Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: pepe isn't racist  (Read 4660 times)

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« on: September 30, 2016, 01:43:06 AM »
i don't care what anyone says, he's a really good dancer.

#ImWithPepe
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:22:11 AM by redrum »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 02:30:33 AM »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »
Das ghost pepe tho...

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »
Everything is racist nowadays. You can't make jokes anymore. The butthurt culture of the Western world is leaving little space for real problems that need to be adressed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-37107541
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 05:15:44 PM »
You could probably say that again. :-/

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:42:11 PM »
+1
and again :(

You know this is a problem when microaggressions are a thing.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:03:37 AM »
Also, this:
 ;D

Pepe Trump MAGA Dance
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 10:38:58 PM »
I work at a college library. since I work on Halloween this year, I was thinking of maybe going to work in costume.

My thoughts instantly drifted to Crusader. probably because I see a LOT of muslims there lately. I dunno. 

I ran it past my boss, although i said "Templar" instead. He laughed, and loved it, said it was something he would wear, but sort of scratched his head because it would probably get the department in trouble. I think he was on to my scheme instantly. I'd get called out as RAYCISS in an instant for a stunt like that.

I guess if I had to ask i already knew the answer
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
I work at a college library. since I work on Halloween this year, I was thinking of maybe going to work in costume.

My thoughts instantly drifted to Crusader. probably because I see a LOT of muslims there lately. I dunno. 

I ran it past my boss, although i said "Templar" instead. He laughed, and loved it, said it was something he would wear, but sort of scratched his head because it would probably get the department in trouble. I think he was on to my scheme instantly. I'd get called out as RAYCISS in an instant for a stunt like that.

I guess if I had to ask i already knew the answer

I mean...if your first thought is to be a dude from the Crusades because of Muslims in the library, it's not hard to interpret the intent behind it as racist.

But on the other hand, I can't imagine it being an actual problem unless you're antagonizing the people in said costume (or in general). It's not like you're in a suspiciously Klan-like ghost costume here--Templars did plenty of shit other than the Crusades, and weren't a group made exclusively to be racist about things.

But yeah, dressing as a dude people's religious ancestors fought an insane war with in a period when they and their religion won't stop coming under fire for literally any reason probably has way more chance of igniting tensions for its own good.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 09:41:52 AM »
I once read a book which described the crusades as "medieval imperialism". It's an unusual way to view the Crusades, because imperialism is a 19th century term. However, it doesn't mean the crusades were entirely different from imperialism.
Consider this: crusaders were Europeans, the absolute majority of whom never were in the Middle East and knew very little of it.
The very little that they knew of the Middle East was the holy scriptures, which they strongly believed in, yet it was brought to them by the religious authorities who outlived the Western Roman empire. Then the pope decides there is too much violence in Europe and that the knights need to be redirected to a "good cause" which is assiting the (quite distant and not super friendly) Byzantine Empire and taking away the Holy Land from Muslim infidels. So the knights embark on a long and dangerous journey to a faraway fairy-tale land to conquer in the name of Christ (and power and glory and treasures), having no real interest in the will or well-being of the land's residents, or any other people that they meet and pillage on the way.

Yeah, crusades weren't all that romantic.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:43:33 AM by Mooning Freddy »
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
I mean...if your first thought is to be a dude from the Crusades because of Muslims in the library, it's not hard to interpret the intent behind it as racist.

But on the other hand, I can't imagine it being an actual problem unless you're antagonizing the people in said costume (or in general). It's not like you're in a suspiciously Klan-like ghost costume here--Templars did plenty of shit other than the Crusades, and weren't a group made exclusively to be racist about things.

But yeah, dressing as a dude people's religious ancestors fought an insane war with in a period when they and their religion won't stop coming under fire for literally any reason probably has way more chance of igniting tensions for its own good.

ill be honest, I was just thinking it because I wondered if it would be "controversial"

that said I have Spanish heritage, so I could be just as offended if I wanted. (of course it wouldnt fly though, crusades are considered bad but the 700+ year dominion over Spain isnt)

to be fair the other reason was just because I dig the look. I found a cool crusader costume in like, party city or something and thought "hey this looks neat". the other reason was what popped into my head when I considered taking it to work.

I hate when Halloween lands on a weekday.

Yeah, crusades weren't all that romantic.

yeah, vacation they weren't. Then again, I suppose war and stuff never really are. But it is testament to the power of time, and how eventually, even the most heinous parts of history, eventually becomes washed down and romanticized.

also it doesnt help that Islam had been going on a conquering spree for a while. Spain was again, held for almost 800 years. And there were other European (and non European) incursions against Christian kingdoms and nations. Europe knew from scripture, that the holy city, (and with it the sepulcher) were not originally under islamic control, and so they went on a counter attack, to "liberate" the place.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 11:55:41 AM by Flame »
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 02:52:28 PM »
Ah yes... "We were here first" is a nice argument, but nobody cares about it anymore, and I doubt anyone cared in the first place.
Israeli Jews still make this argument, but after 2000 years this argument is a bit... Well, nobody really cares about it anymore. Poor American Indians.
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2016, 03:45:02 PM »
Yeah, I don't see anyone calling for a free and independent Assyrian state, either.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
A free and independent Assyrian state doesn't make for good headlines.

Tags:

anything