Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Can anyone recommend an affordable, reliable home theater system?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
I'd like to expand my current HDTV/PS3 setup by setting up some speakers. Can any recommend a good home theater system that's not too pricey?

Please post too what you have (if you have it) and a quick review of it. Thanks!
"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Can anyone recommend an affordable, reliable home theater system?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
I'd like to expand my current HDTV/PS3 setup by setting up some speakers. Can any recommend a good home theater system that's not too pricey?

Please post too what you have (if you have it) and a quick review of it. Thanks!

Mine is completely custom, but I only use Sony. :\
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Can anyone recommend an affordable, reliable home theater system?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:39:51 PM »
So are you looking for a "home theater in a box" type setup?

I have a Panasonic HTIB that I got 5 years ago...hardly use it, though. The sound lags (and only gets worse through the duration of a playthrough), and there's really no way to make quiet movie dialogue louder without making everything else deafeningly loud. Probably the best bet would be to get a receiver and choose your own speakers, especially if you want to upgrade later down the road. Some HTIB setups have somewhat proprietary ohm levels on their speakers, which make upgrades nearly impossible. But then again, if you're wanting to keep it cheap, HTIB is probably your only option.

You might check Cnet to see which sets have good reviews. This helped me out a lot when I was looking for a TV - which, funnily enough, led me to a Panasonic.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Tags:

anything