Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119204 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
Arcades aren't that outdated. When I was at Silverwood Theme Park in Idaho, there were quite a few people at the arcade. And the malls here used to have arcades. Sure that was probably ten to twe--

WAAAAAAAAAAH! I'M SO OOOOOOOLLLLLLDDDD!!!! WAAAAAAAAAH!  :'(

Age happens to the best of us, always has. The closest thing I've seen to an arcade in a while is the little video game alcove they have at the wal-mart here. Though they are still pretty popular at theme parks from what I hear, partly for novelty now sadly. I was always convinced as a little kid I'd have an arcade machine when I grew up lol.

And no, it's hardly a Toy Story ripoff. Toy Story wasn't as much about being accepted and remembered as time went on, it was about cherishing the things you had as a child. If you want to call Wreck-It Ralph out on being a ripoff of Toy Story (granted, it's the same company so it's a valid argument), then I could just as easily call Toy Story out on being a ripoff of The Velveteen Rabbit, which was way more of a tearjerker.

I loved the Velveteen Rabbit! Poor pox burned bunny :/. Hm you know the movie I saw the day before Wreck-It Ralph was Megamind, two animated movies with very different solutions to the same problem as it turned out. Megamind suggesting you reinvent what you don't like about yourself/become the good guy if you don't like being the bad guy. While Wreck-It Ralph seems to advocate becoming more comfortable with your pre-designated place in society, with a few words thrown around about "not letting labels define you".

PS-Brad Pitt seemed like he was doing a Tim Allen impression in Megamind but maybe it was just the Buzz Lightyear like expressions/face that tricked me.
PPS- Best laugh in Wreck-It Ralph? Hearing M. Bison say "You're not going Turbo are you?" without any of the context/backstory first.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:46:24 AM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2013, 11:10:21 PM »
I was able to finally watch Prometheus.
I felt it lacked something. It was dragging at parts... I wasn't really satisfied. Maybe I was expecting too much...

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Watched a fair cam video of "Man of Steel" last night. Not bad. I can see the uber-geeks flipping out over some of the details, but all in all it's not a bad reboot and a fair movie. Only things that rubbed me wrong is the boner Hollywood seems to have for making sure Pa Kent is always dead on film and why change Perry White's race? Minor nitpicks, otherwise a good experience.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2013, 10:57:39 PM »
I was able to finally watch Prometheus.
I felt it lacked something. It was dragging at parts... I wasn't really satisfied. Maybe I was expecting too much...
I find it inferior to the first 2 Alien movies, since those were masterpieces of the genre.
But I believe Prometheus is also very superior to Alien 3 and 4, which were poor sequels of the original 2 movies.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Where was the sexuality in Prometheus? The Alien saga was full of innuendos. Prometheus just felt more like a sci-fi flick. And what was up with the folded-up zombie dude? THe berserker mutant I could accept, but the other one was just a wtf moment for me.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2013, 11:58:43 PM »
There's not much I dislike about Prometheus. Just a very solid flick and I'm looking forward to more.

That said, the first two Alien flicks can't be beat, especially the first.

I revisited some sci-fi favorites recently: RoboCop, The Terminator, and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. All grade A flicks. Also rewatched Terminator Salvation for the first time since seeing it in the theater, and uh...yeah. I like the robot effects. Certainly better than Terminator 3, but still lacking so much.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2013, 12:11:56 AM »
I love the first Alien, but my favourite is the 2nd one, I consider it a masterpiece.
About the sequels, they are just OK, and Prometheus is a something more than OK. But realy, the 3rd and 4th movies are not worth of the names they carry.
Also: I love the first Terminator, but my favourite is the 2nd one, I consider it a masterpiece.
The 3rd Terminator is good, especially the ending, I love it. And the 4th one is mediocre at best.
Still have to rewatch the Robocop films, I watched them like 12 years ago.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2013, 02:00:46 AM »
Prometheus ending, was a big let down for me and over all the story. I was expecting something different when i've seen 1/3 of the movie, only to find out a stupid ending. What they were trying to saw us, that Aliens started from Prometheus?
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2013, 02:08:12 AM »
I love the first Alien, but my favourite is the 2nd one, I consider it a masterpiece.
About the sequels, they are just OK, and Prometheus is a something more than OK. But realy, the 3rd and 4th movies are not worth of the names they carry.
Also: I love the first Terminator, but my favourite is the 2nd one, I consider it a masterpiece.
The 3rd Terminator is good, especially the ending, I love it. And the 4th one is mediocre at best.
Still have to rewatch the Robocop films, I watched them like 12 years ago.

I tend to prefer more low-key films, so my preferences for the Alien and Terminator movies are the first in the series. I consider the first of their respective series to be perfect 5/5 star movies, while the "sophomore" sequels I'd say are 4.5/5—just below the first ones but still absolutely amazing and perfect followups.

I saw all of Alien 3 about a year ago, having only caught glimpses on TV prior to that as a kid, and yeah...that movie is a big, steaming dump. I'm kind of worried to see the fourth one, but I hear it's better than the third at least.

The first RoboCop is probably my favorite movie after Blade Runner. Just so much fun, so much great satire, killer effects, memorable music. It's pretty much a B-grade movie made with a considerably larger budget and I love that.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »
Prometheus ending, was a big let down for me and over all the story. I was expecting something different when i've seen 1/3 of the movie, only to find out a stupid ending. What they were trying to saw us, that Aliens started from Prometheus?
Indeed, Prometheus is inferior to the first two Alien films, but anyway, it is a prequel and it isn't even named Alien. But it is vastly superior to the 3rd and 4th movies, which they lack in almost every aspect and pale in comparison to the original ones. They are mediocre, and some choices about them (like killing one of the main characters off screen between movies) seem made by amateurs. Also, the high frame rate (I don't remember if in both Alien 3 and 4 but at least in one of them) didn't help, it looked cheap, like a direct to DVD release.

I tend to prefer more low-key films, so my preferences for the Alien and Terminator movies are the first in the series. I consider the first of their respective series to be perfect 5/5 star movies, while the "sophomore" sequels I'd say are 4.5/5—just below the first ones but still absolutely amazing and perfect followups.

I saw all of Alien 3 about a year ago, having only caught glimpses on TV prior to that as a kid, and yeah...that movie is a big, steaming dump. I'm kind of worried to see the fourth one, but I hear it's better than the third at least.

The first RoboCop is probably my favorite movie after Blade Runner. Just so much fun, so much great satire, killer effects, memorable music. It's pretty much a B-grade movie made with a considerably larger budget and I love that.
I understand what you say. Don't expect much about Alien 4, but at least you can know that the worst thing of the series happened in the 3rd movie. Also, the ending of the 3rd movie is very good, but not that good to keep it from being mediocre.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2013, 03:58:10 PM »
John Carter - Movie would have made millions more if they'd just had the guts to come out and name it either of the two titles they had originally planned to give it "A Princess of Mars" or "John Carter of Mars". I've read the original novel it's based on and am a huge fan of Edgar Rice Burrough's other work (mostly his Tarzan/jungle adventure books) and it's just sorta meh. Burrough's books are never as good in first person, like the Barsoom/Mars books are so I'm not that disappointed but I'm not wowed either.

What I don't understand is why you'd hire William Dafoe to play a 7-9 foot tall, three-armed green Martian and then demote his central story into almost an afterthought. The Tharks also looked a little too thin/un-brutish, and the human-looking Red Martians were all nude in the book but it's Disney so whatteryagonnado. Overall it's a decent space opera/"Sword & Planet" adventure. It strays too far from the book to be a satisfying adaptation but kids would probably love it.

Here's the original book for reference by the way, along with Burrough's other writings it's been influencing science fiction and fantasy for over 100 years now. Though I think it's far from his best book. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:07:30 PM by Ratty »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2013, 11:09:29 PM »
What the hell, you people. Alien 3 was a great sci-fi flick, it was all about the character development of Sgt. Ripley, and the great ending. "Aliens" was a space marine gore-fest. 

Anyway, watched Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". Nice movie. It's quite a 1984 kind of story where humanity is swallowed by an all-powerful bureaucracy who keeps growing, swallowing up anything human in endless regulation. Nice message.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »
+1
Among all the Alien flicks the 2nd one is the best of the bunch for me.

Oh and there's a Prometheus sequel in the works too...

Anyway, just watched Journey 2. Kiddie flick. Think like a kid then it is good.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: July 03, 2013, 11:27:17 AM »
Saying Alien 3 is all about character development of the lead and then calling Aliens a gorefest seems silly to me because Alien 3 plays out like a really bad bodycount movie. :P Aliens is a gigantic action flick and that's what makes it work: it's the skillful way in which it was made that makes it so good.

Still, the more sophisticated nature of the first is what makes it best in my mind. True horror and suspense, some nice character development, a real slow-burn movie thick with ambience.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: July 03, 2013, 01:32:53 PM »
So we are 2 people so far whose the favourite Alien movie is the 2nd one.

Tags:

anything