Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Music you've been digging lately  (Read 286984 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #720 on: June 02, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »
To be honest it kinda reminds me of Man-O-War. The good classic-sounding rock with no profanity in the lyrics.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #721 on: June 03, 2023, 12:20:16 AM »
I can definitely see that. Especially with a sprinkle of Rob Halford thrown in. Their vocalist can hit some crazy high notes!

Orden Ogan is another good band I found recently, in the same vein. I guess I was on a drunk power metal binge, lol.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 12:53:40 AM by JR »
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #722 on: June 17, 2023, 09:13:48 PM »
Been on a bit of a death metal kick lately, mainly just stuff I used to listen to a lot but haven't recently since I sold off most my metal CDs around ten years ago. Been buying some of them back, the ones I like the most.

Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Autopsy - Severed Survival
Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines
Depresy - A Grand Magnificence
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (always thought of it as kinda power metal but I guess people say it's melodeath? I dunno)
Demilich - Nespithe

I also bought Death's Leprosy and Individual Thought Patterns (my two favorites of ol' Chuck's) but had to settle for Relapse reissues, which I found out upon arrival that they're remastered and actually sound supremely shitty, so I sent 'em back. I previously had the Century Media reprints so I might have to track those down on Discogs unless original pressings are affordable.

Never sell off the stuff you think you outgrew because the older you get, the more childlike you are, and all those fun things become relevant again.

I also started a new job a month ago where I work with the guitar player for Tipper Gore–lambasted '80s shock rockers Impaler, and that's pretty badass. I think our talks about music is what resparked my interest in metal.

Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #723 on: June 18, 2023, 09:55:17 AM »
I also started a new job a month ago where I work with the guitar player for Tipper Gore–lambasted '80s shock rockers Impaler, and that's pretty badass. I think our talks about music is what resparked my interest in metal.

I'll say! Congratulations on your new job. Hope it woks out for you for quite some time  :)
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #724 on: June 18, 2023, 01:28:38 PM »
Thanks. My previous job was rapidly swirling down the toilet to the point where they didn't have money for payroll, so I had to get out before suddenly there was no job to go to.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #725 on: June 19, 2023, 05:34:58 PM »
Always Drum N Bass

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #726 on: June 24, 2023, 12:05:02 AM »

Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (always thought of it as kinda power metal but I guess people say it's melodeath? I dunno)

I always wondered the same. I always thought of it as power metal with Gothenburg-style vocals. Hatebreeder was a banger, though. My favorite, mostly because of the sound production. Black Widow was my gateway into CoB.

Same with In Their Darkened Shrines for Nile. Nile's gold standard for me. Sarcophagus is still my all-time favorite song of theirs. I didn't think of it until now, but their sound was similarly raw when compared to CoB's Hatebreeder. Both bands still sounded cool with more "modern" production, but nothing beats their earlier stuff.

Heard something tonight that sort of blew my mind. I've heard of Oingo Boingo, but I'm definitely not familiar with them. Then this song came along:

This is right up there with Siouxie and the Banshees and Devil Master as far as stuff I never knew I needed in my life. Good god, this is awesome.

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #727 on: June 30, 2023, 08:52:39 PM »
Oingo Boingo's got some good stuff. I particularly like their first two albums.

I had a chance to go see COB, wish I had. I was supposed to go with my sister but was too tired from work; who knew Alexi Laiho would die a few years later. She's got a cool pic with him. They definitely ramped up the bombastic production on FTR and HCDR. Still good, but Hatebreeder is my jam for its sounds and compositions.

Nile's ITDS was a gateway album for me. I'd already heard and loved Opeth's Blackwater Park and that's what got me into death metal, but Nile was just so raw and powerful, more straight-up death than prog. I picked up ITDS and t.A.T.u.'s debut on the same day, haha. Both had heavy rotation (2003, I think?).
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #728 on: July 01, 2023, 09:18:49 AM »
Oingo Boingo's got some good stuff.

Yeah, they did the theme song for the movie Weird Science. Danny Elfman was in that band before he went solo. Surprised me when I first heard of it.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #729 on: July 07, 2023, 10:39:52 PM »
Oingo Boingo's got some good stuff. I particularly like their first two albums.

I had a chance to go see COB, wish I had. I was supposed to go with my sister but was too tired from work; who knew Alexi Laiho would die a few years later. She's got a cool pic with him. They definitely ramped up the bombastic production on FTR and HCDR. Still good, but Hatebreeder is my jam for its sounds and compositions.

Nile's ITDS was a gateway album for me. I'd already heard and loved Opeth's Blackwater Park and that's what got me into death metal, but Nile was just so raw and powerful, more straight-up death than prog. I picked up ITDS and t.A.T.u.'s debut on the same day, haha. Both had heavy rotation (2003, I think?).

Yeah I liked both Hatebreeder and ITDS for their relatively raw production sounds. Hatebreeder sounded like vintage 80s metal, and ITDS definitely sounded like a step back into old-school DM. Both are my absolute favorites of those respective two bands.

Yeah, they did the theme song for the movie Weird Science. Danny Elfman was in that band before he went solo. Surprised me when I first heard of it.

That's how I found their Dead Man's Party song, lol. I had Weird Science on my playlist, and Spotify lead me to an awesome recommendation, for once!  ;D I still listen to that song daily.

Here's my newest like:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 10:52:05 PM by JR »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #730 on: July 15, 2023, 09:23:07 AM »
I know that song! I've had it on my PC for a few years now. Ultimately I like this one better then the rendition done by Great Big Sea. I'm just not into certain types of folk music I guess.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #731 on: July 15, 2023, 10:03:11 PM »
I know that song! I've had it on my PC for a few years now. Ultimately I like this one better then the rendition done by Great Big Sea. I'm just not into certain types of folk music I guess.

Ooh, I'll have to check out that version, too. Didn't know it was a cover, but it makes sense because it really does sound kinda folksy. I'll have to check it out for sheer curiosity.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #732 on: July 16, 2023, 09:50:48 AM »
Great Big Sea did the cover. Slade is the original British group that wrote the tune back in 1984. I learned something new today  :)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #733 on: July 28, 2023, 11:25:06 PM »
Ha! I'm surprised. The Slade version, at least to me, sounds adapted from something else.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #734 on: September 22, 2023, 10:31:34 PM »

Just decided to give Edge of Sanity's older stuff a spin after listening to their stuff previously and being pretty meh about it. This album was pretty good, but Sacrificed is an absolute gem. It's as if Sisters of Mercy and Gargoyle Sox had a baby, lol. Imagine finding a solid, straight-up gothic rock song tucked away in a melodic death metal album  ;D

Tags:

anything