Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV2:Sq ENglish retranslation  (Read 15262 times)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
The patch is up to version 1.3.2
Something interesting about the various versions of the patch is that it comes in MMC1, MMC2, and VRC6.
I know that the VRC6 version actually performs a little better than the other, but I'm wondering if this would also allow the music to be upgraded.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:57 PM »
I know that the VRC6 version actually performs a little better than the other, but I'm wondering if this would also allow the music to be upgraded.

Is it possible at all to add more music tracks to the game? Like, give each mansion its own theme?
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:04 PM »
Possible? Yes. Probably not easily. It would likely require expanding the ROM, shifting data around, and re-pointing a ton of pointers.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
And in the end it sounds like more trouble than its worth...
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »
Not if we could get a small group of people together with the right knowledge.

Patch updated to version 1.3.4 now.
"Stuff and things."

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: CV2:Sq ENglish retranslation
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15524.0.html

The author is actually talking about it here and that's where the updates are being posted. I dunno if anyone expereinced lag but he's fixing it. Also changed the cursor on the map.

Also, he talked about VR6 music and said he don't know enough to be able to do it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:51:49 AM by MathUser »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »
I was the one that asked about VRC6 music. At least we know there's no reason why it can't be done.

Up to version 1.3.8
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
I patched the US ROM with the latest version from the dude's site (1.4.1 I think?)
Perhaps I should've patched a different region's ROM?

Using the map in Berkeley Mansion crashes/freezes the game.
The new translations are pretty great but I miss "WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE".
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »
Don't tell us, bro. Tell the dude. There's thread at RHDN. The particular text thread you miss can easily be restored with a hex editor.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:29:57 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:08 AM »
Eh, I'm not signing up.  Just commenting on it.
No sense to sign up to an entire new forum just to post one complaint.  I can wait.  Too bad, though, as the translation is pretty nice.

I'm actually one of those people who uses select to pause so it was a bummer to have my game crash because of it.  Then again I did state-save prior, but I lost a bunch of hearts.  Oh well.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline MathUser

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: CV2:Sq ENglish retranslation
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,15524.120.html

New update, now with SRAM saving! I think password still works too so you can have the best of both worlds. Now one of the games other major complaints is fixed.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
Here's the latest post from the patch author:

I have released version 2.0.0 of the translation patch now.

You can download it at:  http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/

Major features:
-- SRAM saving support.
Minor changes:
-- Exiting the map screen no longer allows escaping the battle with Dracula.

Load/save options have been added in the main menu and the gameover menu respectively.
In addition, you can save the game at any time during the game by pressing select on the status screen.
Seven save slots are offered currently.

Please report to me any errors and weirdness you encounter in this patch!

Screenshots:

I retained the password feature in the game, because I like it.
Incidentally, I discovered that FCEUX does not support the de-emphasis bits when its NTSC filter is enabled... Bummer.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:52:51 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Bisqwit

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 01:32:20 PM »
Thanks for noting my project here :-) I discovered this forum through YouTube's analytics feature on my video.

Yeah, the discussion regarding this patch goes on mostly at Romhacking.net. If you are having problems with the patch, I suggest you post a report there. That way, the discussion that begins from your post will benefit a larger audience. But at least until I forget to, I will check posts here as well.
For the record, the proper USA Castlevania II NES ROM to patch has the CRC32 sum of A9C2C503. A CRC32 of BA319CBD also is in distribution and is acceptable. If you use the BPS patch format and Beat for patching, you will get a notification from the program whether the patch was applied successfully and to the right file or not.

Since the last post quoted by Inccubus, I have changed the font and done some other minor changes. The current release version as of this post is 2.2.1. You can find always it at: http://bisqwit.iki.fi/cv2fin/ .

Regarding the translation space (MathUser's post, #119624): For the most part the increased space I added for the dialog was more than enough to accommodate accurate and fluent translations. There were some situations that were difficult. If you encounter dialog that you feel is stilted or otherwise illfitting (possibly by reading the dissection page), please feel free to tell me, and I'll see if I can help it.
My primary project was the Finnish-language* translation of this game; I only added the English one as a moment's inspiration after someone's specific request at YouTube, and it might still use improving. English just doesn't happen to be my native language.

Regarding the appearance of the map, sorry, I don't know what a SOTN/Metroid-vania style map looks like. I used the official map from the Japanese manual, with a few edits to make it more suitable for NES rendering. If you mean a map where each "room" is represented as a square / rectangle... The problem is that Castlevania II world layout is awfully horizontal. It wouldn't make a cool map in my opinion.

Changing the music / adding new music is theoretically possible: There is an abundance of free space in the ROM, so no expansion is needed. It's just that I have not quite reverse-engineered the music engine yet, and even if I had done so, it is not trivial to arrange music -- for the NES, for a particular engine, or otherwise.
Related topic: Changing the engine to support new channels added by the VRC6 chip (which would practically only benefit emulator players anyway) without sacrificing its existing features might be a huge undertaking on its own.

Some screenshots:

*) Yes, the language is called FiNNish. "Finish" is an English word that means something completely different.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:14:29 PM by Bisqwit »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »
Welcome to the forums, dude :D
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:38 PM »
Welcome!
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: