Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Spritework Request & Showcase Thread  (Read 1056187 times)

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #870 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:53 AM »
Only thing that I could point out if you want it to be more smooth is to insert another frame during his 'step' animation while whipping.
Hmm, you may be right. Sadly, I'm on my other laptop, so I can't fix it at the moment.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #871 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »
@donver. Sorry dude, what I meant to say was that his left arm sticks out in one frame. But it looks like you fixed it! Good work!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #872 on: April 29, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
thanks your input helped a lot:), any thoughts on my other questions?
I'm mostly seeking opinions.

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #873 on: April 29, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
Now that I'm back on my editing laptop, I figured I'd share some more things with all the nice people here  :)
First, a spritesheet of recolored Trevor.
Second, a RoB-style leather whip animation for Simon.
Third, a chain whip animation for Simon.
Last, Simon swinging a CV2 dagger in a Alucard-like animation.
Hope you all like it ;D
EDIT: Thanks for all the help! I fixed the weird foot in Simon's animations after a few people pointed it out. I'll post the new results as soon as I finish the animation process.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 03:35:12 PM by Rozul_TheBlu »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #874 on: April 29, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
Nice. Very smooth animations. Only thing is that leg shifting one pixel. That's a little unnatural. I could see the foot lift and the knee flexing a little. Really. Grab a whip and swing it while looking in a mirror.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #875 on: April 29, 2013, 07:23:42 PM »
Hmm.. Maybe if I shifted those frames a pixel to the right, it might look better.
And, actually, I sometimes swing a rope while looking in a mirror for reference every once in a while. It's led me to believe that Fake  Trevor's whip is the most realistically accurate. :P

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #876 on: April 29, 2013, 07:51:34 PM »
Donver, I would say "yes" to all of your other questions.

When I am creating a sprite and I question something about it, I change it until I don't question it. More color and contrast almost always helps. I would say in this case, it most certainly will.

As far as how many frames to use, take a good look at all of your frames. See if each frame is doing a good job of filling in the blanks. Sometimes you may notice that one frame isn't serving as much to the animation as it would if it were changed and perhaps made a little more dramatic.

I've created walking animations with 6 frames that look like they have a lot more frames than your current walking animation does, so I would go through them and make sure that each frame is doing the best job it can. If the answer is yes, and you're still not happy, then add more frames.

Compare your work to some Konami sprites too, just to get an idea.

Good work man, it's coming along nicely! :)
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #877 on: April 30, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »
@Rozul: Nice work!, I think the alt whip version suits him better from a color perspective.
At the whipping animation I think it's indeed better to shift the rest of the sprite to the right, he is stepping forwards after all.
Notice that while he does so he shifts his weight to his front leg so most likely he will be slightly lifting his back heel up a bit.

@Montoya: thanks! I'll keep that in mind and mess around with it a bit more, maybe I should shift his body a bit more?
At least this animation is helping me figure out a ton of problems I've been having with the running one :P

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #878 on: May 01, 2013, 05:01:17 PM »
Well, I improved some of my stuff...

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
« Reply #879 on: May 01, 2013, 06:30:04 PM »
+1
Hi people, This is my first post. Firs of all, sorry for my bad english  :-X. I'm glad of joining the community.

I'm currently working on a fan game based on Castlevania. I hope i finish my game project some day  :P. I'm looking for a contributor (or contributors) to help me on creating monsters/enemies sprites for the game. I'm not using ripped sprites. The size for the main character sprite is 64X64, so it requires a lot of time to create the corresponding enemies.

This is how the hero looks:

This is a still frame of the Zombie (unfinished, just started today)

I'll post more from time to time. Tell me what you think. I'd like to hear opinions from castlevania fans. So, if someone is interested in the project, PM me. The game will be free, I can't pay any money. I can only give you credit for your work.

Gracias/Thanks  ;)

~kaonstantine~

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Bel

• Fiolina Lecarde
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #880 on: May 01, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
Wow, Kaon.. Pretty good!
I can't wait for the zombie to be finished.  :)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #881 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »
+1
Its very smooth, bravo! :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #882 on: May 03, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
Ok so I increased to color count and made the leg area more detailed, I think I will rework the shading a bit after this though.
Also probably will use a softer version of the leg palette for the back leg to simulate shadow and depth more.

Edit: noticed a mistake in shading depth with the first two frames, fixed that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:29:36 PM by Donvermicelli »

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: May 03, 2013, 02:46:34 PM »
Ok so I increased to color count and made the leg area more detailed, I think I will rework the shading a bit after this though.
Also probably will use a softer version of the leg palette for the back leg to simulate shadow and depth more.

Edit: noticed a mistake in shading depth with the first two frames, fixed that.

Try to dont move the shoulder, when you walk the shoulder its stay in the same place mmm i dont know how to explain, try to walk like your character and see your shoulder its like he have dislocates shoulder, well that i think, if hi is not going to move his body make the shoulder do that it will see strange

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #884 on: May 03, 2013, 02:57:46 PM »
while I disagree with the shoulder not moving while you walk I think I see what you mean. Too tired to go through all of the frames now to fix it but will do it first thing in the morning and see if that works. Thank you for the feedback.

EDIT: did it now anyways not sure if it's perfect I really should stop staring at pixels for the moment >.<
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:11:25 PM by Donvermicelli »