Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: For the philosopher, psychologist or Easten pratictioner  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
For the philosopher, psychologist or Easten pratictioner
« on: July 04, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »
What do you think about Alan Watts. I have listened to this guy for quite a while and I find that his insights are pretty helpful in trying to become a more intuitive and better functioning person. Some of the stuff he says I do not agree with such as seeming to think that the master or guru can intentionally trip up the student for the sake of keeping the student humble. But then again that is ego minded thinking.

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: For the philosopher, psychologist or Easten pratictioner
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:09:43 AM »
Not familiar with Adam Watts. I'll have to check it out and see. But yeah tripping up a person just for him or her to remain humble isn't exactly proper procedure. A true spiritual master or guru would not relegate themselves to using narcotics like that. It's bad karma for them and detrimental to the student in question. And the more bad karma you build up the harder it is to pay the price later-on as everything in this universe requires balance.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmont Stakes

• Registered Massholevaniac
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Smashing controllers since 1982
    • Awards
Re: For the philosopher, psychologist or Easten pratictioner
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
I may have to get his stuff on audio books. Reading is not something I am willing to devote time to. Without question Watts is the best I have listened to so far in describing these concepts and he did it far better than Eckhart Tolle in my opinion. I also liked how he talked about mystical experiences and cosmic consciousness. Not to mention his explaining of the difference between Eastern and Western philosophy or religions. Those being the West is more concerned with behavior, faith and doctrine where as the East seem to be more about helping a state of mind without resorting to a method of thought reform.

If you guys are interested you may want to check out a Brother Edward Salisbury and Todd Murphy who are both on Youtube and give it a think.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:49:42 AM by Belmont Stakes »

Remember my name and know this. I have Suffolk Down Syndrome.

Stop me if you've heard this one.
A Belmont falls through a trap door into a square prison with no exits. After hitting three sides he smashes through the last one. Relieved and low on health he looks at the camera, smiles and says......"Pork chop?"
ULTIMATE FOURTH WALL BREAK!!! That just happened!!!

Tags:

anything