Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Rise of Nosferatu  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »
+2
Hello again everyone!

I'm back posting about the game I have been cultivating for the last few years called "The Rise of Nosferatu." I posted on here a long time ago about this game, and I am re-posting now to give a few updates, and reach out to potential new blood.

The game has been designed and tailored to serve as a fan-owned Castlevania reboot, which can operate with or without the CV title. The story explores the origins of Dracula when he was a mortal man, known as Vlad the Impaler. You play as a young man named Enthu who has recently lost his father, who was tortured and killed by Vlad. Enthu decides to act as an assassin for the Turkish army, who aims to take down the reign of Vlad Dracula and instate re-instate Turkish rule to the land of Wallachia.

Enthu arms himself with the weapons his father used in Vlads army to fight off the Turks before he was deemed a traitor and executed. There are more fine details that play into this story, which also provides a back story for Medusa, Death, and dark wizard similar to shaft.

I have created all of this artwork from the ground up, and have also been working on an all original score for the game.

The game itself is meant to be a throwback to classic castlevania style play. The game is meant to play similar to Castlevania 4 with multi-directional whipping and hardcore platforming elements. I want this to be a simple, but fun 6 to 8 level romp of classic CV glory with new characters, new twists and new looks.

I have had some help with people on this forum along the way, and now with the school winding down for me, I want to make another push at getting this game going.

Anyone who wants to see a game that returns Castlevania to it's glory days in a fresh way should contact me, or give me their feedback. I am looking for people of all talents. I would really love to see this game become a large group effort involving many people of this forum. And I have been considering making it all open source. I'm talking about a Castlevania rebooted franchise owned by the fans, that we can do whatever we want with.

Here are is a quick character sheet I through together. All of these characters have animation frames. I have been experimenting with a lower res pixelated look as well, but for now I will simply post this character sprite.

Any questions or comments are all welcome!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:05:59 PM by MontoyaGraphics »
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
I only remembered what I wanted to show you now, it is it.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/wosHome.htm

Your art reminds me of this game, I played it in the past, they have even a "Castlevania Mode" and "Megaman X Mode", its very fun. Im showing you that so you know that there isnt anything wrong in your art, I like it.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:04:47 PM »
+1
Those sprites look larger in scale like mine, albeit a little more cartoony. I know there's nothing wrong with the art, I've had a lot of compliments on it. I understand it's quite different from the traditional CV look. But like I said, that's what I'm going for, something different. I can sprite on a much smaller SOTN scale too, but I don't see why when we can have way more detail with a larger scale.

Here's some older examples I posted on here that demonstrate the more pixelated smaller scale look. I'm not sure I want to go with this look though. I like the hi res look because you can see more detail, but I like the classic look this has too. It's a tough call.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Yes I remember these, if you are spending time doing hi-res sprites, watering them down to minor ones is a waste.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »
+1
I agree.. It's just depressing because that means I have to almost start over on my level tiles. I did all of those when I was sure of the pixelated lo-res look..

Well, at least I have all of the characters taken care of for the most part.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »
+1
I recently tried scaling my sprites down to the standard CV scale and it actually didn't look too bad. I'm considering going this route just for the sake of compatibility and a smoother running game. It would be easy to scale all of his sprites down like this. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:09:35 PM by MontoyaGraphics »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:10:01 PM »
Not bad. It just needs a little fine tuning with the color palette, some slight adjustments to his stiff-looking stance and then you've got yourself a awesome sprite.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:29 PM »
+2
Yeah, I'm gonna start experimenting with all of the sprites I've made for the game and try scaling them down. It does look kind of cool. This is actually one of 4 of Enthu's stance sprites. There is a breathing and slight movement animation that Dracula 9 actually did. It looks really slick while in motion. I might try turning up some of the contrast on the colors or something. But yeah, I think we might have something here.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:36:55 PM by MontoyaGraphics »

Tags: