Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70961 times)

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
+2
Adagio's toast. Too much shit to fix and I don't have the motivation to do it. So instead, I'm putting the poor misshapen thing out of its misery and retaking an old project.

I had a crappy one-room "remake" of Haunted Castle I did a few years ago (when my programming knowledge was almost nonexistant). Well, I figure I'll start that back up since I have a more clear direction of where it is I'm going with it; where, with Adagio, it was more of "hey, I want this today, let's program it. I totally won't hate it next week after I've done so much implementation with it." Guess how it got to shit. :X

So, with that, here's my basic gameplan of what to do aside from the obvious;

-Expand the stages. I'll still only have the six, but I'll extend them and add a ton more to them. The cemetery, for instance, now has multiple crypts/mausoleums to go through and explore, rather than just the one Medusa's in. I also have two major changes in mind for the last two stages; chiefly, make an actual clock tower rather than a cheap elevator. I've given strong thought to shortening the elevator and putting a boss on it (similar to Brachyura). Right now, that boss is looking like the Rock Golem, who I may give recurring appearances as a miniboss. The other main change will (keyword, WILL) be that stage six won't just be that goddamn bridge. I'm thinking something along the lines of X68/Chronicles' last stage, as in multiple towers with collapsing bridges connecting them (because I can't nix the collapsing bridges completely, of course). I also gave thought to tossing Death into one of the towers, but that's just a thought for now.

-Add an actual semblance of a plot. While I'm not too eager to jump into dialogue scripting and coding, I do want Serena to have a bigger role than the damsel in distress. At the moment, I really want to give her a two-sided fate similar to Annette from DxC, in that she will die if certain conditions are not met. Now, whether she just gets killed, or turns evil/possessed and YOU have to do it, I haven't decided.

-Expand enemy roster. This one's self-explanatory.

-Expand bosses. This one needs more explanation. I'm not keen on some of the bosses(stained-glass knight), especially when I think about having to program some of them (stained-glass knight). So, I've considered scrapping/replacing some, or just adding more to compensate. The latter will happen regardless, but the degree is the variable here.

-More classic weapon types. This one's a biggie. Right now, the three main weapons operate in reference to the GB games. The leather/chain whips are traditional, with the Sword of Powah being the flame whip, in that it goes away upon being hit. I know this isn't really like HC in that regard, but I don't plan on making the bosses able to be beaten effortlessly by spamming the sword, which still does insane damage (damage counters, btw, are 1 for the leather, 2 for the chain, and 5 for the sword. The gap's big, but I think it's fair when compared to the combination of whip damage and fireball damage that the system alludes to.). Subweapon-wise, I plan on keeping them all; bomb will replace holy water, torch will replace axe (though it will also light any enemies it hits on fire, unless they're immune, in addition of setting the ground ablaze. Heart cost will be increased in tandem), boomerang replaces cross, and the stopwatch will stay. It will now cost five hearts rather than two. Hearts will be somewhat easier to come by than in the original as I will include candles in the game.

And with that said, here's some stuff to prove I'm actually doing this shit and not just blowing air.

Some screens from the first stage (largely incomplete, but the "feel" of the stage is shown pretty well IMO.
(click to show/hide)

And some music I've gotten done so far. Mostly later-stage themes, but with me being a very musical person, if and when I get development boredom later on, listening to the later stages' themes will give me the motivation to get them done (I know it sounds odd, but that's just how it is).

Cross Your Heart
Bloody Tears
Basement Melodies
Can't Wait Until Night

Good "coming back" post, I think.

EDIT 6/17: On the offchance anyone is willing to, I would immensely appreciate any help on this. My previous and current projects have taught me than doing everything myself is fucking hard. My other game I can manage that well enough, but this one I know I won't be able to. I don't want to go all noob and say "I need a programmer, spriters, etc.," so I'll take whatever help (if any) I can.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 12:06:07 PM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline FireSeraphim

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
Welcome Back Dracula9. I wish you the best of luck on this rather ambitious remake of haunted castle. Also your musical work is great as always.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
+1
Thanks. This time around, I have the experience and knowledge of what NOT to do (the only real good that came from doing Adagio), so I should make much better progress than before.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:36:45 AM »
Looks like an interesting endeavor. I'm integrating the HC stages into my massive 8-bit style CV1 mega remake, so I'm curious to see how you rework them.
"Stuff and things."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:40:11 AM »
+2
I hope you have multiple colors to choose from for the main character I am not digging that particular recoloring. The level design seems to be coming along nicely though. I do like the ideas you are borrowing from Rondo of Blood. Haunted Castle does need a good remake.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »
There won't be multiple character outfits/palettes, but that one's just placeholder anyway. The final will be an edit of X68000's Simon (since the outfit is pretty close to HC's Simon and requires minimal edit work on my part), but I'm just using Chronicles for the time being to make sure the changes in sprite origins (since Pedrozo's base engine uses Rebirth's Christopher) match up smoothly. And also because I found his sheet on my hard drive first and didn't feel like digging for the X68 sheet, especially when it would just be placeholder.

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
That's good news.  The color scheme you're using now makes the guy feel more like an extra from Jem than a vampire hunter. 

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
I don't see how that could possibly be a bad thing, but-

Yeah. The final should look much nicer, but right now I'm just focused on getting the basic shit working right.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 10:55:13 AM »
That's good news.  The color scheme you're using now makes the guy feel more like an extra from Jem than a vampire hunter.
That's truly outrageous...lol

I don't see how that could possibly be a bad thing, but-

Yeah. The final should look much nicer, but right now I'm just focused on getting the basic shit working right.
Anyways for Drac9 these may help:
http://www.castlevaniaspain.com/viewtopic.php?t=3958&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/games/sotn/maps.htm
http://www.vgmaps.com/
http://www.finalfantasykingdom.net/c4bestiary.php

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 11:13:52 AM »
Hey, thanks a ton, man. Those DS tile rips are going to be wicked helpful.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »
Hey, thanks a ton, man. Those DS tile rips are going to be wicked helpful.
Those were some links from my personal collection...hee hee Glad to be of service.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 12:07:22 PM »
Bumping, because I've added a rather important footnote to the first post.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 04:23:58 PM »
+1
Bumping, again. Simon's physics have been worked on, and he can now double-jump and roll. I haven't decided if he'll have these from the start of gain them as upgrades. Still working that out.

Haunted Castle - [Debug Room] Physics Test

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »
I prefer them as upgrades. In CV games is not natural to start the game with many abilities. Searching for power-ups/upgrades/relics it is part of the charm. Having the ability to double jump and roll since the first levels, could spoil the game, i guess.

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
I disagree Kaonstantine. Did starting out with the chain whip and the ability to perform a back flip spoil Rondo of Blood? I think not.

If the game is designed to play that way from the start up, how Dracula 9 paces the rest of the game would determine how it turns out.

Do what you think suits the project Drac 9.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 02:35:33 PM by MontoyaGraphics »
The worst monsters are human.

Tags:

anything