Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Incorporating Horror in an action game without losing the horror?  (Read 6320 times)

Offline chainsawmidget

• that guy
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Incorporating Horror in an action game without losing the horror?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »
Another thing I think it had in it's favor that a lot of people overlook, is that many of the areas in the game looked actually livable and quite a few of the enemies looked like they used to just be normal people. 

Contrasting the supernatural with the normal makes the spookyness stick out even more. 

I'd also love to see vampirism come back as a status effect.  There's something wonderfully evil about vampire hunters being bitten and turning themselves.   

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »
You could base an entire game around a vampirism status effect, really. The struggles of vampirism and dealing with its drawbacks while relishing in its strengths is something I don't think enough games try to do.

Offline FeRcHuLeS

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Third Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
Themed music/sound effects and stages to begin with, the best example for a 2D game is Splatterhouse besides the Ghosts'n Goblins/Ghouls'n Ghosts (the first 3 games), the best example related to CV is Super Castlevania IV good music and stages bad sfxs, another example for a 3d game is Nosferatu WoM for PC, that game has everything horror themed music/sfxs, stages.

I think Super Castlevania IV was to be released by 95' or 96', then maybe we had have a clone Resident Evil in the universe of Castlevania maybe, it is interesting to see the influence of Rondo of Blood changed everything forever. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 08:37:22 AM by FeRcHuLeS »

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
You could base an entire game around a vampirism status effect, really. The struggles of vampirism and dealing with its drawbacks while relishing in its strengths is something I don't think enough games try to do.
I was kind of disappointed when bloodborne turned out to not be just "werewolves and vampires and all in between" and ended up being eldritch.

I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity considering the way the game was marketed
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
  • Bloodstained : Delay of the Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Think like action games can't be horror, unless it is a realistic action. Closest one getting into horror genre as a action game would be Simon's Classic Castlevania. That's how I believe it.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »
I was kind of disappointed when bloodborne turned out to not be just "werewolves and vampires and all in between" and ended up being eldritch.

I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity considering the way the game was marketed

Yeah, I lost a lot of interest in the game when it turned out to be Lovecraftian. I wanted my beast hunter game.

Tags: