Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Playfulness in Castlevania, and why it left  (Read 11473 times)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: Playfulness in Castlevania, and why it left
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »
Yes. I do agree. Dracula in fact hates religion itself. What I meant was that he practices his magical power inside the Chapel, like Chapel draws him more dark powers.

Hmm that wasn't what I was saying. Forget religion, from my previous post I'm saying he's indifferent to religion. He despises God and despises humans because of his past. In SOTN he mentions all religion is the same, and in the final battle he still quotes the book of Matthew.

The part about the chapel I'm pretty indifferent to, because the Castle itself is a creature of darkness which as plottwist previously stated is more than likely about the structure itself drawing from the Demon Realm. Does perverting the use of a chapel draw more negative/ demonic energy? Sure, but it's more about the link between the castle itself and the demon realm.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:51 PM »
I think you mean Rondo of Blood, the original animevania, but to be fair most of japanese games of that era and platform followed the same art formula

If SotN started something, it was the gothic/visual approach in the series' aesthetics, that was a signature of the series until the 2 first DSvanias returned to the bland anime shenanigans.

Even though most Metroidvanias didn't have anime art they still felt a fuck ton like anime- the action, the stories, and sometimes the music. LoI and CoD did as well. Then there's Judgement which added the titty jokes

I side with superc4 - didn't know there were so many people on the opposite fence who like the anime / cute / Japanese humor, which being an American, I never fully understood. The darker and more realistic art style, the better for me. LOS would have been great if better music, better game-play mechanics, and better script writing. CV64 had it all for me. You can drag me through the mud all you want on that. It looks like neither of us are getting what we want anymore anyway.

Pretty much my exact feelings too man. I grew up with SCV4, CV64 and COTM- each of them darker, grittier and a bit more grounded. CV games were the only ones I had that weren't so kid oriented like Mario and Sonic (not saying only kids play those franchises, hell I play them) and that's why I got so into them. Ppl say franchises need to change change change but that isn't the case. Sure add new things but don't change what made it so great- CV changing to anime was bad because the series lost it's identity. Sure they're all great games as well but they aren't what CV used to be. Then LoS went for a LOTR vibe.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:17:58 PM by Crying Freeman »

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »
the action, the stories, and sometimes the music. LoI and CoD did as well
"Anime" music in Castlevania? I can only think of Nocturne or the joke tracks from the PS2 games (the pumpkin ones, you know) 

I grew up with SCV4, CV64 and COTM- each of them darker, grittier and a bit more grounded
SotN, Legends and subsequent games up to HoD were like that, try to look less with nostalgia glasses!

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »
"Anime" music in Castlevania? I can only think of Nocturne or the joke tracks from the PS2 games (the pumpkin ones, you know) 

SotN, Legends and subsequent games up to HoD were like that, try to look less with nostalgia glasses!

SotN was pretty animeish- it was like a Vampire Hunter D game in many regards, like Alucard's design obviously being inspired by D in the game. SotN's story also felt finda anime-like, and the voice acting felt like an early dub. Legends wasn't super dark or grounded- it had the anime artstyle like Rondo, Dawn and PoR. Will admit I looked past HoD- it is a creepy and gloomy game and that's one of the things I loved about it.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 10:12:56 AM »
VHD is not a proper baseline for anime style/tropes as it was purely in novella form with scant few artworks for decades before adaptation.

And I really can't say there's anything we know as "anime-ish" in VHD, insofar as it preceded pretty much every major modern anime trope/style by years. I'd call it part of what started some of the tropes, rather than simply continuing them.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
VHD is not a proper baseline for anime style/tropes as it was purely in novella form with scant few artworks for decades before adaptation.

And I really can't say there's anything we know as "anime-ish" in VHD, insofar as it preceded pretty much every major modern anime trope/style by years. I'd call it part of what started some of the tropes, rather than simply continuing them.

Actually yeah that's true, my bad. I'll admit SOTN doesn't have as strong an anime feel but the action itself, some animations etc. and again the plot feel a little more anime
'

Tags: