Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Probible cause of Vampire legends  (Read 5002 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
I had no idea about the existence of this disease until it was brought to my attention just earlier today.

Porphyria

Apparently it is a non-contagious but hereditary disease belonging to those of families infected. All I can say is I'm glad I don't have it. Do an image search and you just might be surprised. I was.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
i've known about this disease for a long time (and probly everyone else has).. it's funny that you've never heard of it until now lol

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:58:46 PM »
Yeah that's the funny thing about my life. One moment I'm a step ahead of everyone else, the next I'm far behind. I can't find even ground lol!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
There was also the fact that some people got buried alive in the ye olde days. When, for whatever reason, the coffins were reopened (probably because of the noise), they would see fresh looking corpses with blood stains on them and scratches on the coffin lid (because they tried to get out) and/or the fingernails and the hair looking like they had grown (it appeared so because the skin starts to tighten after death).

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
I must be behind too then, because this is the first I've heard of this disease.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
yuup and along with the buried alive... there was an invention of a bell above the grave with a string into the coffin so if you were buried alive you could ring the bell when you woke up and they could come get ya out

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:53 PM »
I think that albinism might have also been a reason. You know, the part about albinos being very pale-skinned and because of the lack of melanin, also unable to get tanned, resulting in constant sunburns when exposed to direct sunlight.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:37 AM »
Wasn't the sunlight thing made up by the Nosferatu film?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:54:37 AM »
yuup and along with the buried alive... there was an invention of a bell above the grave with a string into the coffin so if you were buried alive you could ring the bell when you woke up and they could come get ya out

That's actually where the term "Saved by the Bell" comes from.  Many people think it's a boxing term... they are wrong.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
Wasn't the sunlight thing made up by the Nosferatu film?

I'm fairly sure they got the idea from the folk tales instead of just coming up with it.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
I don't know. I'm pretty sure it originated from the movies. Same with the fangs.     

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
I think Fangs came from Dracula first. Sunlight however, did come from Nosferatu.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 12:08:34 AM »
Orlock Did have long sharp teeth though, still not fangs

i wonder what started the whole Vampires not casting reflections?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 06:33:29 AM »
I think Fangs came from Dracula first. Sunlight however, did come from Nosferatu.

Just to be clear, when I was talking about the fang thing I meant vampires only having two sharp cacine teeth. I believe the novel only mentions Dracula has sharp teeth. It doesn't say if he had only two fangs or if all his teeth were like that. The two cacine teeth are definitely something from the movies, because it was otherwise too difficult for the actors to speak. It originated in a pretty obscure Mexican vampire movie.   

i wonder what started the whole Vampires not casting reflections?

I think that is from folk tales. In the past they used to believe your image in the mirror was a reflection of the soul, and because vampire are dead, they have no soul. Hence, they cast no image in a mirror.   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:22:47 AM by Nagumo »

Tags:

anything