Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Suggestions for buying a windows 7 desktop  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Suggestions for buying a windows 7 desktop
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:05:50 AM »
Hey guys! I'm not sure where this should go, but I'm trying to get a new desktop for my dad. He only likes Windows 7, cause he's used to it and doesnt wanna get used to Windows 8 (He's getting on in age, so it's hard for him to grasp new things, so I really want windows 7). The problem is, I've had bad experiences with Dell AND Lenovo, and heard very bad things about HP. Does anyone have any other suggestions for desktop manufacturers that sell Windows 7 desktops? I thought of ASUS but they don't have any with Win7, and Sony doesn't have any either. ;_;

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Suggestions for buying a windows 7 desktop
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »
Do you want it for gaming? This doc will clear any doubt https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AvaYhPmP5kwadHZsOW9QVFRkZEpzcUplak5zZFUyYnc&output=html
(never buy a brand pc, never, ever)
If you don't want it for gaming (aw) just buy the "standard" without the gpu.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
No, no gaming. My dad just needs something very basic so he can check his email, write word documents, and use MS office. Neither of us know how to build PCs part by part, though T_T

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
What do you mean ASUS doesn't have Windows 7? I believe any computer shop can install any operation system on a laptop if you ask them to. If they refuse, they ain't professionals. Seriously.
As for me, I use a DELL Inspiron and I'm quite satisfied with it. Battery runs out quite quickly though. After nearly 2 years of using it, it still works fine but lasts for a shorter time and constantly demands that I replace it. Calm down, battery. You're fine, and replacing you is expensive.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 10:37:18 AM »
Will they do the same for a desktop? There aren't any good PC shops where I am...and doesnt that void the warranty? t-t

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
Windows 7 is getting shittier with every update. I'd really just go with 8, seriously. It's easier to use when you get use to it.

I believe any computer shop can install any operation system on a laptop if you ask them to. If they refuse, they ain't professionals. Seriously.

That's short sighted. Drivers have to be made for certain operating systems. You can't necessarily stick any OS on any PC. The hardware could be incompatible due to no driver support for that OS. Most companies don't cater to every OS. Computers aren't magic. I just don't wave my wand and it works perfectly.

Then again, I could always write you a driver myself for everything that doesn't work. Feel like you can afford my hourly rate?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:18:03 PM by uzo »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »
Oh, desktop, like a regular stationary computer. Got me mixed up here.
But if it's a desktop, doesn't it all eventually come down to your processor? Like, if you have a powerful processor, plenty of memory and modern drivers installed it could handle practically anything? At that point, does the company manufacturing the box itself really matter? We're way past the IBM / Macintosh days when your choice was between good and garbage. Today it's all made in China and all manufacturers are similar. No big expert on computers but it's how the industry is today.

That's short sighted. Drivers have to be made for certain operating systems. You can't necessarily stick any OS on any PC. The hardware could be incompatible due to no driver support for that OS. Most companies don't cater to every OS. Computers aren't magic. I just don't wave my wand and it works perfectly.

It's not rare for people to install more than one OS on a PC. The reasons for that may be different. I had two OSs once and they worked fine. Then again, perhaps the difference between Win 2000 and XP are not as large as between Win 7 and 8. I know that there are some drivers on older OS that are absent from newer ones and visa-versa, but that's complicated drivers for complex programs. And I suppose there are certain fixes that allow transferring drivers from one system to the other. 
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
I know that there are some drivers on older OS that are absent from newer ones and visa-versa, but that's complicated drivers for complex programs. And I suppose there are certain fixes that allow transferring drivers from one system to the other. 

Well now that we've established that you don't understand either what drivers are, or how they work...

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Like I said, my dad is getting pretty old and he *really* doesn't take well to new things :( He has some experience with Windows 7 but none with Windows 8. I did find something cheap on Amazon.com, which comes with both the compy itself as well as a monitor, which is cheaper than the Lenovo one I looked at initially:

http://www.amazon.com/eMachines-EL1360G-UW12P-Desktop-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B0087FTC54/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367185806&sr=1-19&keywords=windows%207%20desktop&tag=vglnk-c1556-20

Tags: gunlord halp 

anything