Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Odallus: The Dark Call  (Read 8535 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:02:10 AM »
+3
Odallus: The Dark Call on Indiegogo

Saw this story on Kotaku.
Funny, this team reminds of some of the people here.

This is a retro-looking title in the same vein as Demon's Crest, old Castlevanias, etc.

Kotaku Article
Official Website
Indiegogo Crowdfunding Campaign
Greenlighting on Steam

Marco looks like a cousin of mine. :)
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:20 AM »
+1
I played their previous game, Oniken, and it was absolutely superb. If anyone can make a great nod to Castlevania, it's these guys.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:43:57 PM »
+1
Indeed. I got Oniken last year. Very awesome. Felt like I was playing a nes game on an emu. Looking forward to this title too.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »
+1
This is definitely something I will be playing!
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 07:36:25 PM »
+2
THIS is the type of game I can get behind. Looks fantastic.

I always saw the NES style as being timeless, even though a lot of my peers think otherwise. There's a certain charm to that 8-bit style that I others, nowadays, can see despite it being "outdated".

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
+1
And another positive things about 8 bits graphics is that everything looks pretty. Modern games can be breathtaking visually, and unbeatable in terms of beauty (Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim... even Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy). But when they are not BEAU-TI-FUL and PERFECT, they tend to look ugly to me (I mean, everything that's not anime and medieval/ancient/victorian/fantastic/etc. looks ugly to my tastes on 3D... but on 8 bits, everything's beautiful. If I could play games like Battletoads and Toxic Crusaders and believe them to be nice, it's because everything looks nice on the NES.
And when they REALLY are beautiful (like Castlevania 3) it's a kind of beauty that tends to make us use our imaginations for completing what's not there where the pixels are. And that's fantastic.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline kaonstantine

• Vampire Hunter
  • Pitayaware
  • Awards 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 3rd Place Award
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 01:23:22 AM »
+2
Wow, those guys are fantastic. Their work is very inspiring: Great intro, nice levels, great design, beautiful 8-bit graphics.

And another positive things about 8 bits graphics is that everything looks pretty. Modern games can be breathtaking visually, and unbeatable in terms of beauty (Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim... even Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy). But when they are not BEAU-TI-FUL and PERFECT, they tend to look ugly to me (I mean, everything that's not anime and medieval/ancient/victorian/fantastic/etc. looks ugly to my tastes on 3D... but on 8 bits, everything's beautiful. If I could play games like Battletoads and Toxic Crusaders and believe them to be nice, it's because everything looks nice on the NES.
And when they REALLY are beautiful (like Castlevania 3) it's a kind of beauty that tends to make us use our imaginations for completing what's not there where the pixels are. And that's fantastic.

Totally agree wit you. Nowadays games are visually outstanding and technically impeccable. Day by day, game producers are more and more obsessed with imitating the way things look in reality. The number of polygons per model has to increase year by year. I respect that philosophy, I know high resolution graphics are a nice feature. But what will happen when hyper realistic graphics become the standard? Why every big game company seems to follow this ideology? (except for anime/cartoon, like you said). Why is so necessary to make things look like if they were real? What has happened to the artistic reinterpretation of the world/enviroment?

Maybe that's why i love some medieval/ancient/fantasy 3d games. The artistic reinterpretation is still present (magic things, mystic elements, unreal landscapes, fantasy creatures, stuff with strange appearance, etc). 8-bit graphics feel more traditional, more "handcrafted". They are always beauty for people who enjoy imagination

Sorry for my bad english  ???

What a wonderful night to have a curse.

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 01:51:45 AM »
+2

You've speak out my mind. I still find many 8 bit games charming and go back and play them through emulation.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 08:31:21 AM »
+4
I believe 8-bit games aren't outdated more than they are a "style" than often used nowadays, but it's kinda like music. Just because, say, ragtime or baroque is not culturally relevant doesn't mean people who like that music can't compose NEW songs in that style, or even do GREAT new things with it. When a style is established, it's there forever. Whether or not people want to return to it, it's up to them. History's shown us people, despite looking for new ideas, have a facination with that which came "before".

Interestingly enough, I think the 8-bit movement, now, is more liberated, because they aren't tied to what they can and can't do as far as Nintendo of America dictates. Look at Oniken and the decapitation sprite animation. That could never be done back in the day. Now, there are so many awesome possitibilies regarding 8-bit gaming, it's pure awesomeness in itself.

Hell, I think big companies should jump on that wagon. Kinda like Capcom with Mega Man 9 and 10, get some teams to do NEW 8-bit games. Obviously those games won't have a big bloated budget, and you could release them on PSN, XBL, Wii U, IOS/Android/Ouya, Windows/Linux and go crazy. Hell, big NEWER companies could even reimagine new properties in 8-bit(Rastan-esque God of War, Price of Persia-esque Assassin's Creed). It's an interesting venture.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
+2
Exactly! That's basically the thought behind a whole slew of hush-hush games I'm working on.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
I'm glad to hear it, be sure to post some videos when they are playable!

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
+1
Will do!  ;D
"Stuff and things."

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Odallus: The Dark Call
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 01:59:51 AM »
Has anyone had trouble getting the demo to work for this? my computer keeps registering it as a threat.

edit: never mind I just didn't see the run anyway button
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:12:39 AM by C Belmont »

Offline Lecardus28

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
I don't know how powerful my PC has to be to play it...

Looks like it would be low power, but I don't have a good PC to begin with...

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: Odallus: The Dark Call
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
The indiegogo campaign has been updated to include new stretch goals one of which is a Wii U/Ouyah version. I'm really hoping they can reach all their goals because being able to play this on Wii U would be awesome.

anything