Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Wii U idea was from SEGA?!  (Read 5279 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld (Sega Pico)

I was astonished when I saw it minutes ago, this seems to be a Wii U ancestor!
Someone else thinks these two products can have some sort of relation?

edit:
OMG, ouch my head, too much revelations in so short span of time, a pokemon game in a sega console, no hacks, no exploits, 100% official, WTF?!

"Pokemon Advance Generation" For Sega Pico (Part 1)

edit2: Again, also on a system that I've never heard before

Pokémon: Best Wishes game for the Sega Beena

Info about Beena:

The Advanced Pico Beena, also known simply as Beena, is an educational console system targeted at young children sold by Sega Toys, released on August 6, 2005 in Japan. It is the successor of the Pico. The toy is designed for ages 2–8 around the concept children can learn while they play. Differences from the Pico include: ability to play without a TV, updated graphics and sound, use of a second pen and buttons for two players, score ranking, and playtime which can be set by a parent to an allotted slot. Players can also save their progress by using a SD card, sold separately. To celebrate its 5th birthday in 2010, short 3 to 5 minute gameplay videos of each game released from March to December of that year were shown on the official website.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:20:09 AM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
It...looks like every other toddler toy computer out there. :p
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:57:56 AM »
Yes, but consider that when Pico was launched these "toys out there" didnt existed yet xD
For today standards its a mere toy, but when it launched it isnt a bit innovative?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »
The world was not ready for it back then.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:12:58 AM »
It's interesting when you think about how NEC and Sega were already pushing CD-based games and how Sega was going for 32-bit long before the market caught up and they became the norm. Sega was really ahead of its time in a lot of cases.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
I wonder where Lelygax went?
But yeah don't forget that the Dreamcast had the whole "display secret info on your controller screen" thing waaay before the "revolutionary" WiiU controller. 

It's interesting when you think about how NEC and Sega were already pushing CD-based games and how Sega was going for 32-bit long before the market caught up and they became the norm. Sega was really ahead of its time in a lot of cases.

I think that kind of characterizes old time SEGA and Nintendo's varying business strategies. SEGA were aggressively experimental and innovative to the point that it wound up killing their business. But by goodness they were dedicated to moving the medium forward, weird architecture for the Saturn aside. While Nintendo have always been a bit more conservative when it comes to the technology aspect, make things on older technology to keep hardware and development costs down while encouraging exclusivity in some way. If Nintendo goes under (something I do NOT want to happen) then it will be because of this mindset more than anything else. Which would be ironic, SEGA failing because they were going too fast, Nintendo doing the same because they weren't fast enough.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
I wonder where Lelygax went?
But yeah don't forget that the Dreamcast had the whole "display secret info on your controller screen" thing waaay before the "revolutionary" WiiU controller. 

I think that kind of characterizes old time SEGA and Nintendo's varying business strategies. SEGA were aggressively experimental and innovative to the point that it wound up killing their business. But by goodness they were dedicated to moving the medium forward, weird architecture for the Saturn aside. While Nintendo have always been a bit more conservative when it comes to the technology aspect, make things on older technology to keep hardware and development costs down while encouraging exclusivity in some way. If Nintendo goes under (something I do NOT want to happen) then it will be because of this mindset more than anything else. Which would be ironic, SEGA failing because they were going too fast, Nintendo doing the same because they weren't fast enough.

It's generally the case that the people/companies that come up with the best ideas are rarely the ones who profit from them. It's usually someone/something else tha tcomes up and streamlines/refines said idea that does well with it.

SegaCD was shit. 32x might have been good but they were asking the price of another console itself for a peripheral. I give Sega the props for coming up with that stuff, but the way they went about trying to sell it was just jokes.