Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Suggestions and improvements for the new board  (Read 17130 times)

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Suggestions and improvements for the new board
« on: September 11, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
Kurt and Chris and the mods have done a lot to see this place come together so quickly, which is great. But they are also being bombarded with complaints about what doesn't work, etc.  So hopefully this list/thread can keep all those suggestions together in a place where they can get to the problems one by one.

To be kind, please start your post with either "Fixes" (or fix), or "Suggestion", so that they know what is really truly broken, and what is a gripe. Example...

Fixes:
* Quotes are not currently working correctly.
* After editing a post, clicking on the "continue to..." message will create an error. "Can't find thread." (per Aridale)

Suggestions:
* Make "Off Topic" board only accessible to members on log-in. (like it used to be)
* Stop the ability to double-post. (like it used to be)
* Possibly placing the spam in a less-intrusive manner.
* Castlevania-themed default avatars to choose from. (maybe we should keep blue hat man just for fun)
* Porting over the old topics from RSU.
* Making an easily-accessible announcement page to inform people of the move. (placed at the old board)
* Condensing the "Active Topic" page info to simple links, like the old way. (i heard this might not be possible?)
* Ability to login with both username OR email.
* Should be able to PM a user from their profile page.
* Abbreviate the NAV bar at the top of the forum that stretches out the page (see post #2) (per Serio)

Already Fixed:
* Members can't post replies (permissions)
* Re-Mod the Mods (you guys can change your 'Newbie' title in your profile options)
* Allow more letters in the custom titles (per Serio)

(PS: If you are a mod, feel free to edit this post all up and down to add/move stuff around)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:37:13 AM by Think Tank »

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Stuff that needs fixin around The NEW Dungeon
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 11:20:57 PM »
Fix the top line that says all the forum names etc. not to stretch the layout so badly. Right now it's:

Code: [Select]
Castlevania Dungeon Forums | The Castlevania Dungeon Forums | General Castlevania Discussion (Moderators: Clara E. Leet, LBPHeretic, Ed Oscuro) | Topic: Testing the General Discussion
all in one line. Kinda long, no? Stretches the layout even on 1024x768. It loses part of the post, as well as the edit/reply/etc buttons off screen.

Edit: And what's up with the edit button being visible on everyone's post even if i'm not a moderator? Those are kinda redunant, no? :o

Edit2: <= This ugly icon could probably get something more cv themed too, even if it's just aesthetics. :P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 11:27:16 PM by Serio »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:26:30 AM »
Serio:
The Classic CVForum skin needs some tweaks and fixes.  I'll see what I can do about it but it'll take a while to get all the little fixes working here and there.
This includes some of the post/user icons.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline [GSI]lufiaguy

• Hosting Team
  • Hunter in Training
  • Hosting Team
    • Planet The Sims
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 03:12:47 AM »
I'm going to check out your list now and turn notifications on for this topic - please post all problems here and I will see them.

Note: I'll only handle technical issues now, I'll leave the other stuff (e.g. permissions issues) to the admins.
--
Chris Poskitt
Hosting Team
IGN Entertainment, Inc.

Offline [GSI]lufiaguy

• Hosting Team
  • Hunter in Training
  • Hosting Team
    • Planet The Sims
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 03:26:19 AM »
In Reply To #1

* Quotes are not currently working correctly.
I'm looking into this now, I'll try and deploy a fix today.

* After editing a post, clicking on the "continue to..." message will create an error. "Can't find thread." (per Aridale)
I was unable to re-create this. Could you go through the exact steps you took to get to that error message? When I edited a post, I was instantly returned back to the topic.

* Make "Off Topic" board only accessible to members on log-in. (like it used to be)
I'll leave this for an admin.

* Stop the ability to double-post. (like it used to be)
There may be an option to stop this in the admin control panel, but I'm not sure. SMF definitely doesn't merge double posts into single posts like classic ForumPlanet used to do, which is a shame.

* Possibly placing the spam in a less-intrusive manner.
For now this isn't possible I'm afraid - see my reply in the "horribleness" thread.

* Castlevania-themed default avatars to choose from. (maybe we should keep blue hat man just for fun)
An admin can upload these to the avatars directory, and they'll become instantly accessible.

* Porting over the old topics from RSU.
We're still looking into this possibility.

* Making an easily-accessible announcement page to inform people of the move. (placed at the old board)
Task for Kurt.

* Condensing the "Active Topic" page info to simple links, like the old way. (i heard this might not be possible?)
Unfortunately SMF doesn't support this at the minute (may be possible if somebody was prepared to heavily modify the underlying code).

* Ability to login with both username OR email.
Again this would require changing the underlying code, there isn't a quick option to allow this.

* Should be able to PM a user from their profile page.
You can. Click "Send this user a personal message" at the bottom of their profile.

* Allow more letters in the custom titles (per Serio)
This can be changed by an admin.

* Abbreviate the NAV bar at the top of the forum that stretches out the page (see post #2) (per Serio)
Unfortunately there isn't a way of shortening this without picking the underlying code to bits. However, I would suggest removing the moderators from each of the forums, and making them "Super Moderators" instead (this can be done by an admin by editing their profile). This way, the moderators won't appear in the breadcrumbs, thus shortening it a little.
--
Chris Poskitt
Hosting Team
IGN Entertainment, Inc.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 03:48:34 AM »
Unfortunately there isn't a way of shortening this without picking the underlying code to bits. However, I would suggest removing the moderators from each of the forums, and making them "Super Moderators" instead (this can be done by an admin by editing their profile). This way, the moderators won't appear in the breadcrumbs, thus shortening it a little.

Too bad. Removing even the category (as in "The Castlevania Dungeon Forums" and " Off Topic" that follow the forum's name. Hell, even the forum name could go, it's not really needed with the logo visible just a bit above) along with the moderators should shorten it enough to prevent even excessively long topic title from stretching.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 03:53:51 AM by Serio »

LBPHeretic

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 04:21:37 AM »
+1
In Reply To #2

It's a good thing my screen is 1280x800 then isn't it? :P

Seriously though, that probably should be moved a line down or at least be placed in a way that's more aesthetically pleasing. 8)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 04:34:08 AM »
In the old forum, moderators would appear at the bottom.
I was confused for over a half hour last night trying to get mods to show up on the bottom when I realized that their names were showing up on top next to the SubForum name.

It was very misleading, to see the bottom saying "Moderated: No" but mods on top.

I changed the smileys and I'll add the old avatars (which Redrum helped me with, so I've got the files) when I get the chance.

Lots of stuff to do.

As for the Custom Title character limit, I can't find the spot where to put it. ^^;;  When I do, I'll make it like the old FP 40-character limit.

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

LBPHeretic

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 04:42:07 AM »
In Reply To #8

Yeah it seems as if the avatar text can only be around fourteen to fifteen charaters at the most right now. I kept wondering why the exclamation point on my avatar text was disappearing. :-[

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 04:45:32 AM »
It's possible the length is set in the mysql database. I don't exactly remember if it was possible to even set the max length for those.

Offline [GSI]lufiaguy

• Hosting Team
  • Hunter in Training
  • Hosting Team
    • Planet The Sims
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:55:41 AM »
It's possible the length is set in the mysql database. I don't exactly remember if it was possible to even set the max length for those.

You hit the nail on the head! I've edited the MySQL table and set the maximum length at 40. :)
--
Chris Poskitt
Hosting Team
IGN Entertainment, Inc.

Offline Clara E. Leet

• Legendary Hunter
  • It's still Maridia
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 05:27:31 AM »
There's no moderator forum, it seems like.

Also, are moderators only allowed to manage topics now? Not members?? I'm not seeing any user options.

Oh, and skin selection would be nice. Just for people who want to use the default SMF skin. (quick reply = rawk)

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 05:31:03 AM »
As far as I know that's a gmod/admin priviledge (and for gmod it has to be set). You'll have to wait for an admin to promote you and other mods into gmods for that to work.

It was very misleading, to see the bottom saying "Moderated: No" but mods on top.

Yeah, the moderated part is I think for making the forum an "approve posts before they appear" type forum.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:35:44 AM by Serio »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 05:38:24 AM »
In Reply To #13
Okay, that makes sense.

I don't know how to make people GMods yet.  I'm very very new at the Admin thing, but I'll give it my best.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline [GSI]lufiaguy

• Hosting Team
  • Hunter in Training
  • Hosting Team
    • Planet The Sims
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 05:42:32 AM »
In Reply To #13
Okay, that makes sense.

I don't know how to make people GMods yet.  I'm very very new at the Admin thing, but I'll give it my best.

To do that you need to find their profiles in the memberlist. When you do, click on "Account Related Settings", then change their primary membergroups to "Global Moderator".

You can also control exactly what a Global Moderator does by going into Admin > Permissions, and changing the settings for that usergroup.
--
Chris Poskitt
Hosting Team
IGN Entertainment, Inc.

Tags:

anything