Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Van Helsing  (Read 13653 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:12:39 PM »
Not nearly as silly as the Dracula who's head comes flying off right before transforming into demonic cookie monster.

I would have to disagree.

Incidentally, I fail to see how the CG was "cartoony". Compared to what?

Compared to impressive, moderately used CGI.

Additionally, I have a pronounced disdain for people that presume to tell others whether an artistic work is good or bad simply because they were told by someone else, they paid to tell them, what they should properly consider good or bad.

So you have a problem with critics. Perhaps that attitude in turn might make someone a slave to the habit of disagreeing with them?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
I also thought that Van Helsing was an entertaining movie. and that is was close to Castlevania as we were gonna get. in terms of it's insperation I believe there are two sources. 1. Castlevania. and 2. The Monster Squad. The monster squad would've been inspired by Castlevania as it features almost all of the classic CV baddies as it came out a year later (1987).
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Las

• Vampire Hunter
  • Whoa dude!what a horrible night for no beer.....
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
Wow dude yes! Van Helsing and Monster squad were both awesome ass movies without doubt. They both have a very Castlevania esk feel to them. That though had crossed my mind before too! Van Helsing they shoulda made a series of them, like a trilogy out of it, if what's her name didnt' die. The storyline kicked ass for Van Hesing! Granted monster squad was more of a basic story line it seemed cool for the time. A box office bust,but a vhs and dvd winner! Man 2 great monster/vampire-esk flicks!

Taking Edward Scissorhands to a whole new level!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Wow dude yes! Van Helsing and Monster squad were both awesome ass movies without doubt. They both have a very Castlevania esk feel to them. That though had crossed my mind before too! Van Helsing they shoulda made a series of them, like a trilogy out of it, if what's her name didnt' die. The storyline kicked ass for Van Hesing! Granted monster squad was more of a basic story line it seemed cool for the time. A box office bust,but a vhs and dvd winner! Man 2 great monster/vampire-esk flicks!
Check out Van Hellsing: The London Assignment.

It's a prequel animated movie.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
Van Helsing was Okay, it's one of those movies that you have to shut your brain off to watch....
Although Dracula was horrible, and most of the characters were bland...
the killer of the movie would have to be the last act involving the dumbest climax idea topped with horrible CGI that looks like a PSone cutscene....

Face it though, It's WORLDS better than Paul W.S. Anderson's Castlevania which I hope NEVER sees the light of day....

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 07:45:56 PM »
So you have a problem with critics. Perhaps that attitude in turn might make someone a slave to the habit of disagreeing with them?

Only if you take it to the same degree that said arrogant critics do in turn which I don't. This critic in particular said absolutely nothing of value simply parroting the sentiment that if anything in Van Helsing was similar to League of Extraordinary Gentleman it was bad by default. That is not a good criticism. That is pompous bullshit. If he actually gave any kind of well thought out arguments then I wouldn't mind his criticisms. A good critic is constructive, precise and elaborates as to why things are bad.

...horrible CGI that looks like a PSone cutscene....

Face it though, It's WORLDS better than Paul W.S. Anderson's Castlevania which I hope NEVER sees the light of day....

Don't exaggerate. The quality of the CG is at least on par with most movies that came out around that time.

However, I agree about the Paul W. S. Anderson turd. It's THE worst script for a vampire movie I've ever read; let alone for a CV movie.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:53:28 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2011, 09:38:07 PM »
I have a tendacy to dislike movies that Use Needless CGI, it makes the movies age so horribly, this is why the first two matrix movies are good and the last looks like poo.

the CGI in Van Helsing wasn't as bad as PSone, but I have seen PS2 cutscenes look better.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »

If this is that same movie that featured a Katana-wielding Belmont for the promo art then yeah, I don't want to see it released either.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 01:27:48 AM »
Only if you take it to the same degree that said arrogant critics do in turn which I don't. This critic in particular said absolutely nothing of value simply parroting the sentiment that if anything in Van Helsing was similar to League of Extraordinary Gentleman it was bad by default. That is not a good criticism. That is pompous bullshit. If he actually gave any kind of well thought out arguments then I wouldn't mind his criticisms. A good critic is constructive, precise and elaborates as to why things are bad.

Doesn't matter if the critic is a pompous dickwad. It's the content of the review that matters. To me, his arguments were right on the money. To each his own, but saying that he's wrong because he's annoying is kind of silly.

Judging by that site, his job is probably to be another in the long line of hyperactive young men - like AVGN or The Nostalgia Critic from the same site (can't listen to that guy because of his ear-shattering speaking voice).

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 04:25:50 AM »
Doesn't matter if the critic is a pompous dickwad. It's the content of the review that matters. To me, his arguments were right on the money. To each his own, but saying that he's wrong because he's annoying is kind of silly.

Judging by that site, his job is probably to be another in the long line of hyperactive young men - like AVGN or The Nostalgia Critic from the same site (can't listen to that guy because of his ear-shattering speaking voice).

Yes sir, he is a part of NC's site...

If you REALLY wanna see a massive Dickwad who's reviews aren't even valid, I suggest Benzai and IRATE.

Still out of them all, the AVGN (James Rolf)'s Monster madness Reviews are the BEST

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 05:56:56 AM »
AVGN/James Rolfe isnt part of That Guy With The Glasses.com

he wasnt saying that. he was saying how annoying it is that his criticizm was if it was anything similar to league of Extraordinary Gentlemen, then it was automatically bad.

Also, am I the only one who enjoyed Van Helsing's Dracula?

He was SO amusing! Honestly, without him to ham it up, the movie would have lost half it's charm.

Man what a delightful large ham!
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 06:07:10 AM »
Also, am I the only one who enjoyed Van Helsing's Dracula?

YES

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »
AVGN/James Rolfe isnt part of That Guy With The Glasses.com
Nor did I claim so. But he is a hyperactive young man.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »
What's wrong with Dracula being beaten by a werewolf? That happened on the Nintendo 64. Granted, it wasn't ONLY a werewolf that could beat D, but can't say CV64 wasn't an inspiration.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
What exactly IS wrong with Van Hellsing's Dracula? Is it the actor's looks? Is it the hammy performance?

Tags:

anything