Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
I can't say I'm bothered by these cross overs.

On the other hand I feel like I'll finish my own Castlevania fan remake before the next true installment of the series is released.

In the mean time I've kept my addiction at bay by replaying the old games, trying out every romhack I can find, and searching out similarly flavored indie titles.
General Castlevania Discussion / Re: "Translation Request" Thread
« Last post by Inccubus on May 31, 2024, 05:19:50 PM »
Heya! I have one for you guys.

Rather than a simple translation, I'm asking for a bit of a lesson.

十字架を胸に (Jūjika wo Mune, lit. "Cross at Chest")

I was updating the track list for Konami Game Music Collection Vol. 1 over on the Castlevania Wiki and for the sake of posterity and practice I re-translated the whole Haunted Castle soundtrack. I was primarily focused on literal translations and this track caught my attention because I'm not sure I'm understanding the original Japanese wording correctly.

I think I get the use of を as a particle that signifies a location.
I feel like I'm missing the context of the wording I need to be able to actually get the meaning across in a translation.

It seems to have two main interpretations as either "making the sign of the cross over your chest" as in "Cross Your Heart", and the other being the literal one I used of "a cross located your chest". I dunno, I feel like I'm missing something.

There's also the context of this being the theme for the game's first and it being set in a graveyard.

I have a similar doubt about the final stage theme:

夜まで待てない (Yorumade Matenai, lit. "Not Waiting Until Night")

Which I've seen translated as "I Can't Wait until Night" and more commonly as "Don't Wait until Night".
The first one sounds more like it conveys excitement where as the other is more like a warning.
Given that the actual stage appears to take place during the day, I'm thinking it should be something more like "No Waiting for the Night".

Any insight on these would be most appreciated.
A lot of current anime have weird/useless collaborations in Japan and that's fine by me. It satiates the fans and give stuff for the hard core ones to do (like collecting those coasters/ whatever that they give out in collaboration cafes).
If the vania collabs brings in the money, I just hope Konami puts it in developing something new.
Off Topic / Re: What anime are you currently watching....
« Last post by Shiroi Koumori on May 31, 2024, 02:59:24 AM »
My Hero Academia season 7
Empty collaborations reek of a PachinKonami sacrificing their once beloved franchise harder than Griffith sacrificed the original Band of the Hawk/ Falcon… 🏹 🦅💥🩸
Fan Stuff / Re: Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles May 2013
« Last post by Aceearly1993 on May 28, 2024, 03:42:30 PM »
https://github.com/Aceearly1993/lecarde-1/releases/tag/v0.5.3

Hotfix - An attempt to rule out 2 bugs that seem to be critical for action progressing.
The problem with soulslike is that the feature that meshes best with Castlevania is DS1's level design, and in 15 years they never managed to replicate the quality of that, which you would need for an entire castle. Nowadays "soulslike" amounts to rolling infinitely in corridors (or in a shallow open world) with particular care to PvP stuff. Not my cup of tea.
Aside from that, the platforming in soulslikes is extremely awkward and weak. And the whips in those games are terrible and do not resemble Castlevania's vampire killer at all (LoS also had this issue).

Well, either way its not like the Castles map are that much interconnected usually, tbh thats why we usually have to rely on teleports a lot. Surely some areas may connect at times, but not to the point we ever had plenty of shortcuts between dramatically distant areas of the castles, also because those map usually mostly develop horizontally, while Dark Souls, at least for the most part, privileges vertical exploration, which surely would work very well with a Castle like architecture if done properly, yeah. On the combat, the whips do indeed feel awful in those games, but i think if they were to make a game in this style of gameplay an arsenal of weapons as we usually have in most metroidvanias would be privileged, and i can see that work. The real problem i think is the pace is too different from both the exploration based vanias and the action ones, surely because of jumping, but overall because of a faster pace of action and movement overall. Tho I also think that if done properly it could still work well, but as I said before, id rather get a more action oriented game, even tho these seems to not be very popular anymore unfortunately. Again regarding the whip, i think Lament of Innocence had the best whip wielding gameplay we had in a Castlevania game, i honestly think it was extremely thrilling and you really got the feeling of swinging a whip, differently from LoS as you said yourself, where it just felt like you were swinging punches in a mobile game or something like that. Castlevania 64 was also cool with the whip i think, i wish the whips in the Souls game felt more something like that
Speaking of which, do any of you guys like the idea of having a new game embrace the soulslike formula?
The problem with soulslike is that the feature that meshes best with Castlevania is DS1's level design, and in 15 years they never managed to replicate the quality of that, which you would need for an entire castle. Nowadays "soulslike" amounts to rolling infinitely in corridors (or in a shallow open world) with particular care to PvP stuff. Not my cup of tea.
Aside from that, the platforming in soulslikes is extremely awkward and weak. And the whips in those games are terrible and do not resemble Castlevania's vampire killer at all (LoS also had this issue).
Off Topic / Re: AVGN 20 yrs CV speciale!
« Last post by zangetsu468 on May 24, 2024, 10:13:52 PM »
AVGN had some moments where he seemed passionate and genuine about the titles he was reviewing, in particular, horror-inspired games and movies. Imo his Castlevania and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde vids were among some of his greatest moments. (I always assumed that with his history and background in short films, he’s somehow have his own J&H moment where AVGN gets assassinated by his alter ego and that person becomes Board James…)

I’m not buying this whole Rex Viper movement, James seems unhappy. Hopefully he can go solo and get back to his roots.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10