Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Minor question concerning Dracula's Curse and passwords.  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Minor question concerning Dracula's Curse and passwords.
« on: November 27, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
So, I've been playing through Castlevania III and taking record of each password as I progress. (There's little point to this other than personal satisfaction.) Just a moment ago, I wrote down the password for the first stage of the castle basement, but failed unintentionally as I proceeded. Somewhat rundown, I decided to take a break and chose not to continue.

To my surprise, I noticed that the password I had received was not the same as before (when it should have been). I've entered both passwords and—as far as I can tell—have been given the same result: same stage/second run with Grant Danasty as my ally.

Is there an element that this game keeps record of, to which I am unaware? Or does this simply just "happen," and if so, why?
(click to show/hide)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: Minor question concerning Dracula's Curse and passwords.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
+2
Wow. I didn't notice this thread. Sorry.

No hidden elements. Passwords are generated randomly. There's a possibility of 2, 3 or 4 different passwords per stage per partner per difficulty level per name content. I forgot the number. I have it in my notes but whatever.

CV3 takes the following into consideration:

Player Name -- Every letter is assigned a value and each slot is assigned a value. All combined adds to a name value. There are only 8 possible values, if I remember right. Hence, "TREVOR  " and "ABCDEFGH" yield the same result.

Stage -- The current stage you died on

Partner -- Whether you're alone, have Grant, Sypha, or Alucard. That will affect the password.

Difficulty -- It keeps track of if you're on Normal mode or Hard mode.

It factors all that in and then randomizes it. It's needlessly complex.

Here's my password generator if you ever forget to write down a password:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5im4cq9zrcym156
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
Re: Minor question concerning Dracula's Curse and passwords.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Three different forums, and one man had the answer. (They really went at it on the HG101 forum, too.)

Thank you.
(click to show/hide)

Tags: