Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848591 times)

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #2490 on: June 07, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
I wouldn't mind them ending the story. Eventually, it has to end. There's just so many things they could do with the still-unfinished original timeline it would be a shame to begin a periodical rebooting. Hell, I think it would be unfortunate even after the continuity was fulfilled. I like it when Richter recognizes Al in SotN as his ancestor's ally. And even at the risk of sounding silly, I even like it when in Judgment Drac refers to the battles he had with all his enemies over the years. I especially like it when he flat out tells Simon his curse is going to kill him.

Actually, that's one of the several reasons I like SotN; unlike other CVs, it referenced past events directly. I loved seeing the connection between DC, Rondo and SotN and I was waiting forward to what Al and Drac would talk about before their inevitable duel.

Belmonts are a dynasty and Dracula is eternal. That's a setting that can span several different canons. But I would not like if it was a cycle of pushing the reset button after every three or so games.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2491 on: June 07, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »
I dunno, after Lords was announced Adventure ReBirth, HoDespair, and the pachislot games were released, so it's not like they ever abandoned the original series. But I dunno.

That is actually a very good point. Ah well, time will tell what happens to this series after 2013.

Dominus Agony

« Reply #2492 on: June 07, 2012, 08:53:47 AM »
+1
The concept of releasing 2 Castlevania games simultaneously isn't unheard of; Judgment & Order of Ecclesia, anyone? Konami has done this before.

And correct me if I'm wrong but IGA didn't invent the timeline, he just expanded upon it. So it's funny when people refer to it as "IGA's timeline" when multiple producers and teams were responsible for "putting it together," so to speak.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2493 on: June 07, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
I dunno, after Lords was announced Adventure ReBirth, HoDespair, and the pachislot games were released, so it's not like they ever abandoned the original series. But I dunno.

Until Lords released, they didn't know if it would be successful or not. Now that it is and was a wild success, the mindsets of the Konami executives have likely changed.

Also the pachislot games hardly count. They're themed slot machines.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2494 on: June 07, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »
Regarding the idea of having multiple reboots of the storyline every few years, I think I could stomach that a few times before getting tired of it. There is only so much you can do with the same source material. I'd rather have them create original storylines in the main timeline, or explore the alternate timelines that feature CotM and the N64 games.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2495 on: June 07, 2012, 09:12:26 AM »
I'd like to see a complete Castlevania reboot a la Prince of Persia.
No Dracula, no Belmonts, a new setting (luckily non european) with the basics only, an epic journey, a new dark lord (lords?) who has a Castle/Fortress and platfforming. Perhaps loosely tied to the old canon but not that much. In summary, a new story.
If tthe Dracula story is finished, why not?

Everything comes full circle

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2496 on: June 07, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »
+2
And correct me if I'm wrong but IGA didn't invent the timeline, he just expanded upon it. So it's funny when people refer to it as "IGA's timeline" when multiple producers and teams were responsible for "putting it together," so to speak.

Indeed. Although he didn't just expand upon it; retconning (or rather separating) games from the main timeline was something of a directorial move. I'm not sure retconning is the proper term, seeing as how CotM and the N64 games were always meant to be "gaidens". At least that's what I remember reading.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:25:54 AM by A-Yty »

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2497 on: June 07, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
I'd like to see a complete Castlevania reboot a la Prince of Persia.
No Dracula, no Belmonts, a new setting (luckily non european) with the basics only, an epic journey, a new dark lord (lords?) who has a Castle/Fortress and platfforming. Perhaps loosely tied to the old canon but not that much. In summary, a new story.
If tthe Dracula story is finished, why not?

Because it would be so far away from any games of this series, there would be no point in calling it Castlevania anymore..?

You can always play PoP and pretend you're playing CV, if you'd be willing to not just ignore or change that many things, but just drop them out completely. And no, it's not a matter of who's a "real fan" or "what is Castlevania" or any of those questions that have become ever more common especially after LoS. It's just simple "math". If it's that different, it's different/new IP material.

IMO, anyway.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2498 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
Since IGA decided which games would be in the timeline and included games that were originally gaiden (like Bloodlines), it's correct to refer to the timeline as being IGA's. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:48:12 AM by Nagumo »

Offline crystos

• chained in the lower levels of the cursed prison
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #2499 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
June 07, 2012, 09:47:29 AM - Hidden.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2500 on: June 07, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
Because it would be so far away from any games of this series, there would be no point in calling it Castlevania anymore..?

You can always play PoP and pretend you're playing CV, if you'd be willing to not just ignore or change that many things, but just drop them out completely. And no, it's not a matter of who's a "real fan" or "what is Castlevania" or any of those questions that have become ever more common especially after LoS. It's just simple "math". If it's that different, it's different/new IP material.

IMO, anyway.
Has many have said, there's just so much stories you could make about the same thing again and again and again. Castlevania could be described like: man fights with supernatural creatures in hazardous stages ending up in a castle with a dark lord. Now, if they erease the CV name but keep those elements then it could be seen as the spiritual successor. But seriously, I don't want to be killing Dracula in my 40's. Just a thought of course, it will probbly never happen.

Everything comes full circle

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2501 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
+1
Since IGA decided which games would be in the timeline and included games that were originally gaiden (like Bloodlines), it's correct to refer to the timeline as being IGA's.
Didn't you mention that most of the older CVs had no dates too? So, IGA was behind that too.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2502 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:46 AM »

Bloodlines was originally gaiden? Where was this mentioned?

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2503 on: June 07, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
In a Japanese guide for Rondo.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #2504 on: June 07, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
+2
Has many have said, there's just so much stories you could make about the same thing again and again and again. Castlevania could be described like: man fights with supernatural creatures in hazardous stages ending up in a castle with a dark lord. Now, if they erease the CV name but keep those elements then it could be seen as the spiritual successor. But seriously, I don't want to be killing Dracula in my 40's. Just a thought of course, it will probbly never happen.

Well, there's plenty of other series to choose from when you want something different, but somehow familiar. That setting is almost (neo?)monomythic when it's stripped to its bare essentials (Mario fights a dark lord who lives in a castle and commands various enemy creatures. So does Link etc.). There's a certain mixture of layers that made the origin of CV. I just don't see the point of wanting and/or waiting for CV to accomodate needs that are already available elsewhere. When the things that made one unique/different/special in the first place are left out, you're left with..well, pretty much nothing. An empty box you can fill and slap whatever name you want on it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:18:31 AM by A-Yty »

Tags: .....?