Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848550 times)

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3300 on: July 16, 2012, 03:13:39 AM »
+1
Well, it sounds interesting, but I can remember Pan stepping from inside a mirror in the early stages, at the woods, not in Carmila's castle.

Is my memory failing me, or is it theirs?
After Gabriel kills Carmilla and gets the second piece of the God Mask, Pan steps from a brown/blood-color mirror that looks kinda "liquid". Then Gabriel goes through the mirror and arrives near Baba Yaga's house IIRC.

Offline LoneChild

• C12H17N2O4P
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Ningun Lugar
    • Awards
« Reply #3301 on: July 16, 2012, 03:23:19 AM »
+1
So it was my memory, then. Thanks for the reminder.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3302 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
+1
I wonder if Simon is going to repeatedly glance into his mirror shard and see an eye. He'll think it's his father's, but no, his father is dead. It'll be Alucard's, and Alucard will smuggle him into Dracula's castle through a painting.

That's all I can think of every time this mirror comes up.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3303 on: July 16, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »
+1
I recall Pan saying something about facing his destiny and motioning towards the mirror, to which Gabe bluntly asks "what sorcery is this..." it always DID feel somewhat double sided when it came to that miror, like there was something else to that scene, a hidden meaning in pans words or something.

Well then. Guess now we know. (sort of)
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3304 on: July 17, 2012, 06:10:57 AM »
+1
I'm glad Richter is not the fourth character. They're still being mysterious about who the fourth character is. I wonder why? There really is no reason to keep it a secret if it's Dracula...

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3305 on: July 17, 2012, 08:50:48 AM »
I acknowledge that, but up and down directions don't do anything. My point is that there's nothing to cause you to accidentally duck or attack with a subweapon because the only directions that matter are left and right. A game like the DS castlevania games is a little more frustrating on the 3DS than the DS because you will accidentally use magic or hearts without meaning to. That isn't the case here.

We know this for sure? No ducking? My desire to even try this game will take a huge hit if the game has no ducking. That would make the combat more boring without that simple ability. Ducking shouldn't be taken for granted as an effective 2D mechanic.
"Stuff and things."

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3306 on: July 17, 2012, 10:55:37 AM »
+1
We know this for sure? No ducking? My desire to even try this game will take a huge hit if the game has no ducking. That would make the combat more boring without that simple ability. Ducking shouldn't be taken for granted as an effective 2D mechanic.
In 3D games, ducking isn't needed, but in 2D games, MOST I've played, all the way back since Super Mario, ducking was an important established ability. In a 2D plain, the directional command of up and down SHOULD be worked into the gameplay. If it's in this case, they could've expanded the combo system by adding crouching movies like sweeps and such. It would've only added to the experience.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3307 on: July 17, 2012, 11:13:35 AM »
It's always good time for new screens!

Everything comes full circle

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3308 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:24 PM »
New? Those were posted 4 days ago.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3309 on: July 17, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
From what I gather, MOF has the look, but as of right now, the controls is causing a lot of worry.

First with the D pad being used for something else rather than moving and now you can't duck?

Sorry but I am really not liking these controls so far.

The look and mood of it is great, but we all know that looks aren't the only thing that matters here.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3310 on: July 17, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
From what I gather, MOF has the look, but as of right now, the controls is causing a lot of worry.

First with the D pad being used for something else rather than moving and now you can't duck?

Sorry but I am really not liking these controls so far.

The look and mood of it is great, but we all know that looks aren't the only thing that matters here.

It's LoS in a 2D plane. These offbase expectations are funny, really.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #3311 on: July 17, 2012, 01:47:19 PM »
Knowing the gameplay, I can't really imagine why a duck would even be needed.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #3312 on: July 17, 2012, 01:55:45 PM »
+2
Knowing the gameplay, I can't really imagine why a duck would even be needed.

For most 2.D games, its kinda a given.

People should remember that this game is going to be played in a 2.D format and that having it play similar to a 3.D game (such as only using a analog to move or not being able to duck) is just weird and foreign to a lot of people.

It would be like taking ducking out of 2.D Sonic,Mario,or Metroid games.

Ducking has been pretty much a given for pretty much every 2.D Castlevania title.

if MS really is trying to win some of the "classic" fans over, why take out such a simple ability?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #3313 on: July 17, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »
+1
Given the combat intensity that Lords of Shadow had, and that Mirror of Fate seems to continue with, ducking wouldn't really server much purpose.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3314 on: July 17, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
Yeah, they'd probably have to redo the entire combat if they wanted the duck to not seem like fluff. I would much prefer focused design over something that just has features to appease people.

Besides, it probably has a suitable dynamic to replace it with dodging and etc. NOT THAT I LIKE LORDS COMBAT.
I'm kinda curious if they're going to keep the whole balance light and dark magic, and refill magic thing here. So far it wasn't showcased but you didn't really use it early on in Lords either.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:01:53 PM by thernz »

Tags: .....?