Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848984 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3345 on: July 20, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
At best that's the same number of basic maneuvers, not less. And replacing  ducking with rolling changes the basic formula of 2d Castlevania in a really big way, only it seems superfluous to have done so as as having ducking would give the player more control/options during combat and is fundamental to what a large number of players are both used to and many expect. And before anyone even mentions that LoS didn't have ducking, I'll point out that fact as being irrelevant. Not only is MoF a fundamentally different experience, but contextually it can only be compared to others of it's ilk. That's the price for slapping that Castlevania logo on it and making it a side-scrolling platformer. Actually I'm starting to think that attempting to translate LoS's game play to 2D is going to be as ill fated as translating classicvania to 3D has thus far been.

I literally just proved otherwise, like, a post ago. If the game designers don't design duckable attacks into the game, then ducking becomes completely superfluous. If the hitboxes of your strikes cover the space in front of your feet, then ducking becomes completely superfluous. If you can block quick attacks that would otherwise be duckable...then ducking becomes completely superfluous. See where I'm going with this?

You're making an absolute claim that ducking > blocking/rolling, which forces you to make this assumption that "if it's 2D, it has to have ducking" which is not the case at all.

When you get your hands on the game, I want you to come here and tell me all the ways in which ducking would improve MoF as it is designed upon release. Until then, accept the fact that Cox has specifically stated that Mirror of Fate is an attempt to translate LoS into a 2D plane, not to create a 2.5D Classicvania.

Offline NeoLiza

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #3346 on: July 20, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »
The guy who leaked MoF info on 4chan said Judgement was a "send off" game for IGA. But that doesn't really make sense since HoD happend.

I doubt HD was supposed to be any kind of send off. I think it was a "just for fun" type of game to make a quick buck.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3347 on: July 20, 2012, 09:47:37 PM »
I literally just proved otherwise, like, a post ago. If the game designers don't design duckable attacks into the game, then ducking becomes completely superfluous. If the hitboxes of your strikes cover the space in front of your feet, then ducking becomes completely superfluous. If you can block quick attacks that would otherwise be duckable...then ducking becomes completely superfluous. See where I'm going with this?

Making an argument doesn't in and of itself prove anything. So you have, in fact, proven nothing. You don't know what the collision sizes on the attacks in the game are. You're making a lot of assumptions about what's programmed into the game before it's even out. They could do all the things you mentioned, but the facts are we don't know that they're doing that.

You're making an absolute claim that ducking > blocking/rolling, which forces you to make this assumption that "if it's 2D, it has to have ducking" which is not the case at all.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said ducking was better or worse a design choice than blocking & rolling. I'm saying not having it takes away from the game's potential and moves it farther away from the rest of the 2D games in the series, nothing more.

When you get your hands on the game, I want you to come here and tell me all the ways in which ducking would improve MoF as it is designed upon release. Until then, accept the fact that Cox has specifically stated that Mirror of Fate is an attempt to translate LoS into a 2D plane, not to create a 2.5D Classicvania.

Any time you give the player more ways to maneuver their character it makes for more interesting and varied game play. Playing the end product that would presumably be design specifically with the lack of a crouch in mind will prove what exactly? You can't prove or disprove a hypothetical game mechanic's worth by playing something that isn't designed to include it. That makes no logical sense at all.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:23:52 AM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3348 on: July 21, 2012, 06:28:57 AM »
+1
Making an argument does in and of itself prove anything. So you have, in fact, proven nothing. You don't know what the collision sizes on the attacks in the game are. You're making a lot of assumptions about what's programmed into the game before it's even out. They could do all the things you mentioned, but the facts are we don't know that they're doing that.

My comment about collision boxes was a hypothetical, not a proof, but if you want to go there, based on common sense, history, and gameplay videos, I would bet a sizable sum that the collision boxes are exactly as I predict.

And a proof is an argument. You said taking out ducking gives the player less functionality, but the issue with that is the game replaces it with at least two other functions, making your statement false.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said ducking was better or worse a design choice than blocking & rolling. I'm saying not having it takes away from the game's potential and moves it farther away from the rest of the 2D games in the series, nothing more.

"Takes away from the game's potential". Qualitative value judgement right there.

Any time you give the player more ways to maneuver their character it makes for more interesting and varied game play. Playing the end product that would presumably be design specifically with the lack of a crouch in mind will prove what exactly? You can't prove or disprove a hypothetical game mechanic's worth by playing something that isn't designed to include it. That makes no logical sense at all.

So you get it, but you don't get it.
Games are about function, not form. To that end, maneuvers posess no intrinsic value. Adding ducking serves no purpose, makes nothing more varied and interesting, unless it is given one within the game.

Take Sonic the Hedgehog, for example. The games have ducking, but it there are few situations in which ducking allows you to dodge an attack, and does little more than add an unnecessary motion that needs to be done before rolling. You could map the dash roll to its own button, and nothing would change. Nothing would be more varied and interesting.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3349 on: July 21, 2012, 07:48:44 AM »
+1's for e105beta

You got the idea my boy. You could possibly make a fine game designer some day.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3350 on: July 21, 2012, 08:00:34 AM »
+2
To be honest, I don't see how taking out crouching takes away from the game's potential. The roll also seems a million times more useful, anyway (granted, I do know that crouching has been a part of the CV franchise since the very first game, but still. Opinions, opinions).
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3351 on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
+1
The game isn't designed with crouching in mind. There's nothing wrong with it. If it's a good or bad thing, that's enterily subjective. I find dodges in 2D games very, very pointless.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3352 on: July 21, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
Completely unrelated to the crouching argument:

Anyone else here who thinks Mirror of Fate's story sounds a million times more interesting than Lords of Shadow's?
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline flyingchai

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3353 on: July 21, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »
Anyone else here who thinks Mirror of Fate's story sounds a million times more interesting than Lords of Shadow's?

Definitely. I will say though that the origin of Dracula in this universe was a lot more interesting than how he began in LoI.

http://flyingchai.deviantart.com - My art here is usually CV inspired
http://www.twitter.com/flyingchai01 - Tweeting more and more lately

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3354 on: July 21, 2012, 09:33:55 AM »
too bad the music's still gonna suck DOHOHOHOHO

to be honest i'm looking forward to LoS2 more than MoF

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3355 on: July 21, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »
+1's for e105beta

You got the idea my boy. You could possibly make a fine game designer some day.

I'd sincerely hope so. It is my studied trade of choice, haha

Definitely. I mean, I like LoS's storytelling, but Belmonts vs Dracula is where it's at.

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3356 on: July 21, 2012, 11:43:01 AM »
As for the Brute classification, that would equate to a savage and cruel person. That I don't see in Simon.
Brute character, not neccesarily should be a savage. Besides, developers have final say about character personalities.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3357 on: July 21, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

Not really honestly. Time travel Belmonts just doesn't excite me, nor leave me with the feeling I'll be at all impressed.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3358 on: July 21, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
too bad the music's still gonna suck DOHOHOHOHO
The music won't suck. It will only be different to what traditional CV games brought in terms of music, as LoS' was. I say that because I love LoS' music and that I'm impatient to hear MoF's soundtrack.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3359 on: July 21, 2012, 01:16:32 PM »
it'll suck compared to the spectacular soundtracks they gave us in the traditional Akumajo series.. back when each song sounded unique from one another heh
i'm betting only a handful of people here will like it (don't care about other forums opinions)

Tags: .....? 

anything