Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848816 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #3705 on: August 20, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
If you ask me, Deep down I think Cox and his team are closet QTE lovers! :-X

Why else would we have to see QTEs for something so minimal as opening a freaken chest?

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #3706 on: August 20, 2012, 01:18:45 PM »
Agreed. As I mentioned before it also doesn't help that the chests in GoW work pretty much exactly the same way. I apologize for the comparison, yet again, but I don't think any other game series has that particular quirk.
No, regardless of what Cox says it's become extremely evident the LoS series is based off of the God of War series. Things like this are to be expected.

Offline Grimlock78

• A hunters' associate
  • Hunter in Training
  • I've faced better odds:Have at you!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3707 on: August 20, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »

No, regardless of what Cox says it's become extremely evident the LoS series is based off of the God of War series. Things like this are to be expected.

Is that so? I wonder why they would that? Seems at the very most perplexing. ???
“Why be the player when you can be a boss at the end of the stage?... because the player is better....”

Offline Grimlock78

• A hunters' associate
  • Hunter in Training
  • I've faced better odds:Have at you!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #3708 on: August 20, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
Made a mistake forgot the DOOOOO!
“Why be the player when you can be a boss at the end of the stage?... because the player is better....”

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3709 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
Agreed. As I mentioned before it also doesn't help that the chests in GoW work pretty much exactly the same way. I apologize for the comparison, yet again, but I don't think any other game series has that particular quirk.

You shouldn't apologize for telling the truth.

And yeah, these kinds of QTEs aren't deal breakers for me but they're still pretty annoying.

why does there have to be a QTE to open chests? Why? The first boss finisher didn't even have a QTE, so why the damn chests?

Because it assists in the immersion, trollolololol. You must feel Trevor's emotional turmoil as he struggles for trinkets and items.

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3710 on: August 20, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »

It's totally inspired by it, no doubt then again I'm pretty sure GoW is inspired by the 360 Ninja Gaiden games.
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3711 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:05 PM »
It's totally inspired by it, no doubt then again I'm pretty sure GoW is inspired by the 360 Ninja Gaiden games.

God of War is really nothing special I just cannot see how some folks like to treat Gow like a completely new concept or something and treat like all the other actions games are like it. Folks say that LoS has no originality , then what does GoW have that makes it so so unique? To me I find nothing at all just that it is overrated like heck, yet I would say that for the two games that I do have the camera angles were very good, but other than that nothing.

I am absolutely confident that I could make a list on what GoW ripped on from my experience and maybe a couple from other folks around the net that I hear(meaning I have not played them,but have heard of them no doubt)
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #3712 on: August 20, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
I am absolutely confident that I could make a list on what GoW ripped on from my experience and maybe a couple from other folks around the net that I hear(meaning I have not played them,but have heard of them no doubt)

That might make a good thread. ;)
"Stuff and things."

Offline Havatchu

• Beau Shion
  • Hunter in Training
  • Gaze Upon Me Hypocrite
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3713 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »
+1
God of War is really nothing special I just cannot see how some folks like to treat Gow like a completely new concept or something and treat like all the other actions games are like it. Folks say that LoS has no originality , then what does GoW have that makes it so so unique? To me I find nothing at all just that it is overrated like heck, yet I would say that for the two games that I do have the camera angles were very good, but other than that nothing.

Please do, getting your nerd on is always an option.
Reluctant fighting game, Mega Man/X, Dragon Quest, and Castlevania lifelong fan.

What do I do with all these Belmonts?

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3714 on: August 20, 2012, 10:55:50 PM »

Im all for a thread about this.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #3715 on: August 20, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

Onimusha had soul collecting before any of these action games, dmc had launch combos, cv chains, and the setting well laets just say that Rygar and it's rainbow ending did it before.

God of war did nothing new and it's nothing special

So that god of war thing you just did is very obnoxious not cool man it's annoying and all facts lead up to that game doing nothin new even qtes

I do not -1 people but this one deserves it.

Yeah I really do not like the GoW comparisons, but awhile ago on page 154-156 there was just a big splash about GoW. Like I said GoW did nothing special, yet it get's like an immunity to being criticised and receives high scores while other games get only 7-8 and get a label "God of War Clone" it's bullspit  >:( . The only thing I think I can really give credit for is the camera angle and it's not like I am saying it's a bad game you know what I am saying is that it's so overrated it's sickening which is why I do not play it when i feel that there are better games in the action market.

So yeah 154-56 explains it pretty well in my opinion
(click to show/hide)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3716 on: August 20, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
That might make a good thread. ;)

Im all for a thread about this.

Maybe a thread(I actually do not feel like doing it at the moment),but (again my experience) already listed the games. Oh yeah and there is Shenmue with the QTEs which from my memory is where QTEs really came(would dragons lair count as well I have never really seen gameplay of it  :( ) from and I hear soul reaver as well those are the two are the ones from other folks mostly soul reaver if someone could explain that too me.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:28:46 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3717 on: August 21, 2012, 12:28:20 AM »
Maybe a thread(I actually do not feel like doing it at the moment) but my list would be really short and well to the point (again my experience), and I already listed the games already. Oh yeah and there is Shenmue with the QTEs which from my memory is where QTEs really came(would dragons lair count as well I have never really seen gameplay of it  :( ) from and I hear soul reaver as well those are the two are the ones from other folks mostly soul reaver if someone could explain that too me.

Many Sega CD games (those terrible live action FMV ones) are pretty much where QTEs came from; they are movies which you can "win" or "lose" based on when you time your button presses. No game developers would admit it, but QTEs are an extension of this idea.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3718 on: August 21, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »
Many Sega CD games (those terrible live action FMV ones) are pretty much where QTEs came from; they are movies which you can "win" or "lose" based on when you time your button presses. No game developers would admit it, but QTEs are an extension of this idea.

Very cool, thanks Munchy learn something new every night  :)
(click to show/hide)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3719 on: August 21, 2012, 01:53:54 AM »
What, like the old Dragon's Lair arcade games, and that Sega hologram arcade game from the 90s, Time Traveler? I can see that as being so, but it doesn't make QTE any more fun that what they are. Besides, I think games like Heavy Rain, the Walking Dead and perhaps, the upcoming Beyond: Two Souls are true evolved forms of those old movie games. Though, I can honestly say, none of those are my style. I remember as a kid, how those arcade games were freakin EXPENSIVE, and knowing nothing about the games, you die and that's it. It used to piss me off, and it's descendant, the QTE, is no different.

I blame myself a bit, though, too. Though, when you're that young, you see those arcade machines with the FMV scenes. REAL cartoons and stuff, and you say, "Wow, this is a video game? It looks like a cartoon! You can actually PLAY a game that looks like a cartoon? You can move the cartoon character around any way YOU want to? That's awesome!". Of course, that suckered me in to loosing quarters and still left me dumbfounded to how to play the damned things. I guess that's why I'm sooo much for more freedom of control over QTE. If there's some cool finisher movie, I want to do it. I want it to be on MY terms, not the game's. There should not be any break in the action. That's my opinion, though. I don't like games that try to take control and freedom away from the players. Especially if it's some jumbled button mashing combo shit you have to do just to open a door.

Tags: .....? 

anything