Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1848729 times)

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #5190 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »
+1

Snagged it off of /v/ not too long ago.

This is pretty much why I think some people are having an issue with the game: it seems or feels like you should be playing a classicvania game but then the gameplay mechanics of LoS kick in, and for some, I'm sure it's awkward.  I catch myself trying to play it sometimes like the classic titles then remember what I'm playing and have to revert back to how I'm suppose to play it.  :P

As for the game itself and the scores (lmao at IGN), I feel a 7 is pretty accurate: the gameplay is solid but awkward at times, the story is predictable and a bit underwhelming (though still nice to see unfold), the music is very 'love or hate it' (I personally am not a fan, though I didn't like LoS's either)...the game isn't horrible but not phenomenal either.

Oh:  86 was my year.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5191 on: March 06, 2013, 08:08:40 AM »
MoF is the perfect 7, good but flawed.
2D design could be harder than 3D design, not bad for a first try. Next time they should trim the fat, really, even if the fat is yours and you think it's the best thing ever.. let  it go.

Everything comes full circle

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5192 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:38 AM »
I don't like this game because it feels like a cheap God of War knock-off stuck in a 2D plane.  Nothing about it other than the fact that it takes place in castle, feels like Castlevania.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #5193 on: March 06, 2013, 08:22:41 AM »
I don't like this game because it feels like a cheap God of War knock-off stuck in a 2D plane.  Nothing about it other than the fact that it takes place in castle, feels like Castlevania.
Are you playing it?

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5194 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Well, I was able to play it for about 3 hours straight yesterday. Surprisingly, I have no problems with this game so far. One thing I can say is that I like it TONS better than LoS in my opinion. I can't say if I truly like the game or not yet, but I at least don't mind it. Since everyone is saying there age, I was born in 91. I grew up with Dracula's Curse as my first CV, and I've always liked both classicvanias and metriodvanias.

I was irritated that the stupid girl at gamestop though talking to her co-worker about her friend moving was more important than getting my game, then forgetting my pre-order bonus...even though it's so cheap and terrible, lol. Talking to her co-worker and barely acknowledging me was apparently more important. I had to tell her I needed it. I did get it, but the whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. The Gamestop back in my hometown is really good, but this one where I live now is not that great. If I didn't currently work in the mall where the Gamestop is also located, I would have just ordered it online. It was just convenient for me to pick it up before work.  :(

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5195 on: March 06, 2013, 09:47:18 AM »
Yea as of right now, I think MoF is a MUCH better game than LoS. I can see very clearly they listened to the criticism they received and they did a pretty good job putting more "Castlevania" into this new universe this time around.

By comparing gameplay clips of LoS and MoF I can see a lot of big differences, one of them obviously being the grind time it takes to kill enemies has been shortened by a very good amount. I hope that continues in LoS2, it was really boring have to fight lycans in the same chamber for a good 10 minutes before I was able to move on to the other 20-30 minutes of a stage I had left. I just wish jumping didn't feel so clunky as it does in MoF, I thought LoS had a better feel for jumping. Losing momentum mid air just comes off as unnatural.

I was watching a playthrough last night and noticed something really neat.

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: I just noticed the game is downloadable off of the eShop now, has there ever been complaints of performance issues when it comes to digital copies vs retail copies of games on the 3DS?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:15:33 AM by OSM »

Offline somasworld

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (PS3/X360)
« Reply #5196 on: March 06, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
GamePro Review is online !!!

87 / 100 :) :) :)

thank u David Cox for this lastest Lords of Shadow game !! :)

http://www.gamepro.de/nintendo/spiele/3ds/castlevania-lords-of-shadow-mirror-of-fate/wertung/48327.html

Offline lolTimmy

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5197 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
Just cause I'm curious: is there a reason to use the X button, to do area attacks? They just seem way worse, inefficient, slower, and do less damage. Plus the 'direct' attacks take up half the screen anyway.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5198 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
EDIT: I just noticed the game is downloadable off of the eShop now, has there ever been complaints of performance issues when it comes to digital copies vs retail copies of games on the 3DS?

That I know of? Not so far, but the idea isn't unreasonable I suppose. I went and got the cart because I wanted the case bonus (that only fits a normal 3DS to begin with and I have an XL) and haven't had any issues yet.  So I can't personably say for myself if their could a problem with the performance of the digital, but I'll keep an ear out for you.  :)

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #5199 on: March 06, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
+1
That case bonus for whoever preordered it is hilarious. I'm pretty sure I could've made a better item.

In fact, I probably will, and all of you will be jealous.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5200 on: March 06, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
Are you playing it?

I played through the demo.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5201 on: March 06, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
Question (and maybe this should be it's own thread?): Who is the Lords of Shadow universe for? I thought it was made to increase Castlevania's visibility and mainstream appeal, but looking here, it seems like we're all from between the early 80s to early 90s, and I don't hear a lot of chatter outside these forums on CV compared to, say, God of War, Assassin's Creed, etc. In the old days, it came alongside Mega Man, Mario, Zelda, etc. (What is it about that roughly decade of time that makes us more predisposed to be interested in Castlevania and link it with the big franchises of that period?) Is this Lords of Shadow "change-up" really breaking through in the relevancy factor? I mean, I'd be really interested to know how big the chunk of non-Castlevania fans is that purchased LoS and/or MoF.

(Related: We all vary in our time periods of enjoyment. I think the Castlevania franchise's golden age went up through 1999. (It was still generating a surprising amount of buzz during its development going into the then "next-gen" N64 in the mid to late 90s). I was still relatively happy with it and hopeful for it through 2003. By 2005, though, I felt it had settled into some habits that were keeping it in the middling range that made me fairly discontent).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:32:20 PM by RichterB »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5202 on: March 06, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
I went to play it for a little and i ended playing it for more than 3 hours...... :P

Anyway, as i said before, i prefer it over LoS any time. While game play feels somewhat awkward(only with jump for me), i like enemies designs, they are closer to what we have been used with the old games, Bosses are very cool and the music, while almost non existent, still it's better from what i have heard in LoS. I don't know about you guys, but this game, brings me a feeling from the old games and i really like the exploration.

Last, i would like to point out how funny is to hear complaints from critics and people who are praising LoS, but not MoF. What did they were expecting, since they knew from day one, that this game it will be LoS in 2.5
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Rodriguezjr

• Local Vampire Hunter
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Rodriguezjr's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #5203 on: March 06, 2013, 02:46:43 PM »
I just beaten Simon's portion of the game and so far I am liking the game better than the original Lords of Shadow. Probably some of the only complaints I have is that perfect blocking is still a bit odd to pull off, there are times where I block early to an enemy's attack and I'm still able to pull it off. Also, I find the game to be on the easy side of things so far, I've been able to get through most of the areas and bosses no problems.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #5204 on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
I'm about three hours in and I'll say that it's a good game and like I said before This being MS first time it's not that bad but I think if they had another crack at it the experience could be a whole lot better. A few hours ago I was talking to someone before piano class about mof and he said he was going to hold off on it since he did not play los first I just told him that for a first time it's all right maybe not as good as the classics or even mv( which the team that did it had more experience) but an decent game overall from where I am there are good things and bad, but I recommended it.

And in the end it comes down to experience which ms lacks( in 2d) but, in my opinion has hopfully gained something.  It's worth a buy either new or lowered but worth it none the less.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:02:01 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Tags: .....? 

anything