Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: A GameInformer short article about Castlevania  (Read 24034 times)

Offline Sumac

• Legendary Hunter
  • Logic dominates. Fools must be controlled.
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
Re: A GameInformer short article about Castlevania
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
But honestly, I think her male CV protagonist illustrations are incredibly repetitive. And I can never unsee the anatomical oddities in some of her work.
Same here.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:11 PM »
The official Castlevania facebook group even acknowledged the article.

I really do hope Konami hasn't fully abandoned 2D Castlevania.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
+1
HOHOHO you guys are missing the point when you say Kojima can only draw "pretty boys"

when I say Byzantine-style art I mean this

which is WAY more appropriate for Castlevania & unique [amongst game artwork nowadays] considering  the  time  period  said  hypothetical  game  will  be  set  in

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
HOHOHO you guys are missing the point when you say Kojima can only draw "pretty boys"

which is WAY more appropriate for Castlevania & unique [amongst game artwork nowadays] considering  the  time  period  said  hypothetical  game  will  be  set  in

and as for the byzantine style it would be incredible for a gamecover that would be very unique. I do not think I can really counter that statement I have never seen a game that uses or at least incorporates a style like that. But in the end I just think both of them should do different things beyond castlevania and is that so bad?

I knew what you meant I am for sure we all did

on an other note some folks seem to not agree with me a -4 come on was is the reason behind that....  :P  really what's the reason, like my suggestion was that bad  :rollseyes:

(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 05:18:17 PM »
Good article, nice find Jorge.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »

That's only when Kojima steps out of her comfort zone and delivers something truly unique, like those Byzantine-style illustrations you've just shown us. But again you can still see her pretty-boy look in the Belmont Byzantine image though it's not as pronounced as it is in her other works. Kojima is a really good artist and her attention to the little details are amazing. And I really like how she illustrates her women. some of them are knock-outs. Unfortunately when it comes to men they come off as very androgenic with little to no variation. It is no-doubt due to the way she sees the men around her as Asian males have that pretty boy look for the most part. But if she's going to draw a European man then she needs to break away from that pretty boy look and deliver something a little more rough and ragged. European men of the middle-ages were not pretty at all and that was due to the harsh times they lived in. Sure Castlevania is a fictional game series, but I feel a little reality here and there wouldn't hurt at all. In fact I think it would help to enhance it somewhat. The American illustrations we've seen for the NES, GB, Genesis and SNES CV titles were a good example of masculinity in Castlevania and suited the themes of the games very well. I would love to see more of them in a future title.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
+1
The original 8-bit and 16-bit Castlevania artwork in Japan were the same as those in the United States. They all used variations of the art inspired by the Conan the Barbarian films. The 'barbarian' Castlevania artwork is not really American.

That said, Kojima is inspired from art from the medieval and renaissance period. Men were depicted as effeminate back then as well:

St. George and the Dragon:

St. Michael:

Gabriel (lol) and Mary:

Knight and Lady:

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »
That said, Kojima is inspired from art from the medieval and renaissance period. Men were depicted as effeminate back then as well:

Definitely true, but do keep in mind that any artist of any time period will evoke their own personal touch to elevate the images as they see them. If someone looks rather ugly then the artist in question will detract from the ugliness and inject some form of artistic license to better beautify the image. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If we actually had photographs of the medieval times then we could really see who the people of that time looked.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »
The original 8-bit and 16-bit Castlevania artwork in Japan were the same as those in the United States. They all used variations of the art inspired by the Conan the Barbarian films. The 'barbarian' Castlevania artwork is not really American.

St. George and the Dragon:

St. Michael:

Gabriel (lol) and Mary:

Knight and Lady:

Hate to burst your bubble, but most of those pieces were created well after the Renaissance. And the angels are also meant to be androgynous, not male.
"Stuff and things."

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »
First two are from the Victorian era, so that's true. But it does mean that effeminate depictions are not 20th century nor Japanese in origin. The last one is an illuminated manuscript from the 12th century. Archangels are also assigned specific genders, but this does vary from religion to religion, and even further once you break down into denominations. Some say angels have sex, others believe they are sexless beings. but i majorly digress, HOHOHO

Here are some more illuminated manuscripts from the medieval period

Knight kneeling:

Two Martyrs:

Lancelot and Guinevere:

St. George and the Dragon, again:

Knight presented with ring:

Three Kings from the Orient:

French lord and lady:

Lord hunting:

All from the 15th century and prior.

Of course, even early 20th Century Germany loved them some pretty boys:

Siegfried, from Fritz Lang's Der Nibelungen circa 1924.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:26:42 PM by beingthehero »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
Definitely true, but do keep in mind that any artist of any time period will evoke their own personal touch to elevate the images as they see them. If someone looks rather ugly then the artist in question will detract from the ugliness and inject some form of artistic license to better beautify the image. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If we actually had photographs of the medieval times then we could really see who the people of that time looked.

That's true, but Kojima's art does make the heroes look angelic and 'perfect', while making the architecture and such much more sinister and skeletal.

Hey, perhaps if Simon's true appearance was his x68k look, then perhaps his Chronicles look was how he was depicted in-universe as according to the Church. A more beautiful barbarian.  :D

Also all this medieval art makes me want to play some chapel stages.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
Going back to artist that may be sweet for the series, I think Kentaro Miura (Berserk mangaka) could provide something unique and fun to the series as well (if we can't convince Konami/Kojima to go full Byzantine I mean).

If you aren't familiar with his work...well...let's just say Berserk is not for everyone, and the beginning manga are kind of rough, but the later stuff is pure artistic gold. I recommend it, but only if you're into really dark fantasy, gore and nudity. Like I said, not for everyone.  :-X

(Yes all images are spoiler free and SFW)
http://fdzeta.com/imgcache/10989.imgcache.jpg
http://www.nonsolomanga.it/imm_manga2/berserk/bp_cavalieredelteschio.jpg

If anything, the monsters will look really awesome and unique?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
2nd Link = no hotlinking
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:06 AM »
December 06, 2012, 11:04:06 AM - Hidden.

Everything comes full circle

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
If you think 2D can't be grandiose, I suggest you look at Harmony of Despair.

anything