Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: EA fire tons of employees, blame gamers.  (Read 7873 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: April 27, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
+1
http://gamepolitics.com/2013/04/25/ea-acknowledges-layoffs-statement-avoids-numbers

Quote from: Game Politics
...The company went on to say that the choices they are making are "hard" but essential to "showing players around the world why to spend their time with us."

Of course, some decent customer service, a better bedside manner, and not having a tin ear when it comes to complaints would go a lot farther than firing a bunch of employees. EA's previous statement on the series of worldwide layoffs indicated that the company was restructuring to get ready for the next console cycle, so this latest statement is kind of odd.

Yeah it's our fault for being responsible consumers and just not bending over and taking it every time the management at EA tries to screw us over. As someone in the comments to the story noted their unwillingness to release numbers on this indicates it's very large number of employees being laid off.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:47:34 AM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: EA fire tons of employees, blame gamers.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »
I can see those very employees suing EA out of house and home. And if it does there won't be anything left of EA to salvage. You don't fire workers just to restructure a business and then blame it on the consumer. I call bulls**t and bad form on them.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:00:56 AM »
+1
It won't be long before interaction between EA and consumers degrade into a series of FU's, just like that one scene in DmC. :P
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
Having seen EA on its humble days on the Sega with stuff like the Strike series, General Chaos, and the Mutant League games it's a sad affair to see them have sunk this low. To me this is a lesson what happens when you become too massive in size and too attached to non-gamer shareholders who only care about the dollar rather than innovation.
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:15 AM »
I miss the mutant league series. Why didn't they make more then just hockey and baseball? We could have gotten mutant league Basketball, Golf, Bowling, Racing, Darts lol!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
From what I recall MLH sold very poorly, to the point where they lost faith in it.
Like you said though I've long dreamed of MLB. Just imagine the shenanigans. An exploding baseball that will blow up the batter (or your catcher if you're not careful!), landmine bases, and rocket-powered bats that guarantee long hits.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »
http://gamepolitics.com/2013/04/26/leaked-internal-memo-reveals-organizational-structure-changes-ea
So apparently they are indeed reorganizing.

EA is a great company, with talented and hard-working teams, a strong portfolio of products and an extremely bright future.
Yeah, keep telling yourselves that. lol
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:19:26 AM by VladCT »
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:00:43 AM »
I don't see anywhere they blame gamers... I wouldn't put it pass them, but I don't see it.

EA is a great company though. In many sense of the word. One, It's a great company. A large comany. Two, it's a  great company to work for...... to get a portfolio up. Three,  it's a great company with a great amount of IPs.

It's too bad it has so many problems ... like crappy CEO higher ups, and being a publicly traded one.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »
EA sucks anyway IMHO. Have they made anything original recently? They keep milking the rotting corpse of Westwood's C&C and other games they inherited as an evil megacorporation from smaller companies now damned to obscurity.

Sounding like a little bitch here, but there you have it.

Edit: Realized they're rebooting Command & Conquer now. God help us all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:11:38 PM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
I don't see anywhere they blame gamers... I wouldn't put it pass them, but I don't see it.

Quote from: Game Politics
...The company went on to say that the choices they are making are "hard" but essential to "showing players around the world why to spend their time with us."

Translation: "No really it's essential we fire all these people so gamers will realize how important it is for them to buy all our products no matter what!" The implication being that if "players around the world" had spent more of their "time" (money) "with us" (on their products) then they wouldn't have to do the layoffs. Even though according to previous statements these layoffs are due to restructuring for a new console generation and have nothing to do with the lost profits that have resulted from their terrible business decisions (like vastly over budgeting Dead Space 3) and the backlash against their anti-consumer DRM policies. It's a subtle attempt to induce a guilt trip in the consumer for the losses EA has brought on themselves.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:26:09 PM by Ratty »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 01:16:38 PM »
It's a subtle attempt to induce a guilt trip in the consumer for the losses EA has brought on themselves.

Yep and we're not that dumb. First person they NEED to lay off though is their PR reps. I simply cannot conceive how any PR would sanction that stupid message.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
+1
To be honest I hope EA burns to the ground and will serve as a warning to the rest. EA stands for all that I fear and loathe in the gaming world.
God knows I miss Westwood, not just for their awesome C&C series (forget any titles that were produced by EA) but also for other awesome RPG games like NOX. Still one of the  most compelling RPG's of it's time.

Sometimes sacrifices are needed to make people see the bigger picture, bigger picture is that gamers, even the mainstream ones, grow tired of putting their hopes up for a game and only having it result in disappointment with another milking attempt or buglittered version. Let's hope that the few remaining respectable gaming giants don't follow the same path as EA did.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »
I always hate to hear about people losing their jobs, but with the way things have been going with EA, it's been inevitable. I just hope this is a sign that gamers as a whole are less likely to put up with the way the big-name publishers have been doing business these past years, and not just a matter of sales vs. budget. It's appalling, and downright embarrassing for the gaming industry in general.

I do find it funny that EA has been voted Worst Company in America for 2 straight years on Consumerist, though. The fact that it beat out Bank of America, Comcast, etc., is just a testament to how poor of a job they're doing. They beat out a company that was fraudulently foreclosing on people's houses, for chrissakes! It just astounds me that public perception of a video game publisher can be that bad. 
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »
This is actually not new news unfortunately. This is happening alot in the game industry as of late. It can also be partly blamed because of the uncontrollable rate of social media apps/games growning and eating up a large part of the gaming market. Alot of people with my skill sets are being put out to pasture and because of that fact, the game companies are only taking the best of the best. It's a battlefield right now in the business The bad part of about it is I am also competing with industry vets with 15 or more years experience looking for work. It's really tough at the moment... I can definitely tell you it's not because of gamers per say, but casual gamers (the niche market) interests have changed most executives (like all companies) are still making money hand over fist.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:17:44 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »
What the hell is going on with these big name VG companies? Do they seriously think themselves so privileged as to dictate to their consumers like this. When exactly did everyone forget that their success depends on their consumers standing behind them? It's like they're all TRYING to implode themselves.
"Stuff and things."

Tags:

anything