Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Duck Tales Remastered, NES original game and in-game Castlevania stuff  (Read 5594 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
I've recently finished Duck Tales Remastered.
I didn't remember the complete NES game, but I knew I enjoyed it when I played it some years ago and I remembered most of it.
So when I ended the remake I went and replayed the original to compare it.
I really liked the game as a remake. It has nice touches, as the original voices from the cartoon, a lot more characters, 2 new stages, a couple of new tunes, nice remixes...

But I'd like to make a few points about the game (both positive and negative):
* I don't know if it was because it was a downloaded rip or if the game really have these issues, but the enemies sometimes kept titillating and dissapearing, my duck turning red or dissapearing, and I had to look at the shadows to know what was happening. And the framerate was a disaster. Even in the end credits it was going faster and slower every 5 seconds.
* It was nice the fact that they added a story, but it was kind of annoying in a 2D action game that the characters kept talking and talking in the middle of the action, like 3 or 4 times per stage.
* It tells that WayForward likes Castlevania. Again (better for us fans  :)). Just as it happened with Bloodrayne, where several aspects of the game, including the music, screamed Castlevania, here they also found a way to insert some in-game nods. The original story already included Dracula Duck as the main villain, so it was served. The story of Magica De Spell collecting relics in order to revive Dracula reminded me of Bloodlines' Elizabeth Bartley. The final stage had a SNES Dracula X feel to me (in the background), and the music (which is new) sounded like CV. Also, the end credits tune, in the new part that Jake Kaufman added to that theme, sounded a lot like Castlevania. Jake is a confessed fan, and, luckily, it shows  :)
Also, the castle falls apart and crumbles when you defeat Dracula. And some of Dracula's attacks reminded of other games. The bats seemed like Space Invaders. And the giant form looked like a duck version of SotN's Dracula's final form.
It's worth noting how BEAUTIFUL the Transylvania stage is, especially in the bridge and the entrance of the castle and at the other extreme, with beautiful backgrounds and a lot of nice, dark, gothic details.
And, most of all, they added a blue map to every stage, exactly as we see in every MetroidVania game (though there's no percentage completion).
* They added some difficulty that I don't know if it serves the game good. In the original game you just defeat one Dracula's form, climb a rope and that's it. Here Dracula is way harder, the rope climbing is a lot more complex and you have a new part. Also, the 1st and final level didn't exist.The 1st one is a tutorial and the final one replaced the 2nd Transylvania of the game (which was short).
I can't decide about this.

All in all, I like this as a remake but I prefer the original for what it is and for its charm.
Anyway, good work from WayForward, and I still really want them to make a Castlevania game.
They are asking for it as hard as they can.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Duck Tales Remastered, NES original game and in-game Castlevania stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:51:09 PM »
Apparently the map isn't available in hard mode, which is why I never saw it. :p Not needed though, so I know my way around the (original) game pretty darn well. I could play it in my sleep.

Those issues of enemies disappearing and stuff isn't part of the game. Try less pirating. ;)

The NES game is loads better in a lot of ways. The pogo controls are a lot tighter and the enemies are a little tricky sometimes—the spiders in particular drop down whenever they feel like it and rarely go all the way down unless you're right under them, which is something they completely got rid of in the remake, even on hard mode. There's some weird stage redesigns, too, which I understand from a "making it fresh" perspective, but the original just works so much better.

I don't like the intrusive cutscenes. I don't need Huey, Dewey, and Buttfuck telling me that an elevator needs a key. I figure all this handholding and game-interrupting stuff was something Disney wanted and WF and Capcom had no say. In the NES game, by the way, you had to go back to Transylvania to get the hidden key. That was more interesting than having the key be just a few yards away on a logical path.

The caves stage is just the most disappointing overall in the remake. On the NES, you had to make leaps of faith to get by those big gaps; remake, they place diamonds where the enemies will pop up. It's less like exploring and risking your life, further dumbed down by the inclusion of a map in an easy-to-navigate stage.

It's still a nice remake, cool graphics and music, and it still largely plays like the original with a few new things to make it stand out. I wouldn't consider it a great game, though. The NES original, on the other hand, is one of my absolute favorites (largely due to the massive nostalgia attached to it).
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »
Yes, I agree with everything you say.

I didn't know if the bugs were in the original game, that's why I said it.

I don't take it as offense, I know you are joking, as it's fine, but I just want to clarify about piracy.
Not exactly the case here, because Duck Tales RM is available on Steam (though I have to ask my mom to lend me her credit card every time I want a game), but I would do less piracy with retail games if I lived in a place where retail games are available.
Where I live (let's call it "Stupid Little Town"), I have to travel dozens of miles to reach the city, and once there, I can find just a few games in a few stores, all of them new, and mostly PS3. PSP, NDS, even 3DS and WiiU, are almost absent at all, and older consoles (not very old, just from PS2 backwards) don't exist.
Not to mention that prices are sometimes a quarter salary for a game and more than a full salary for a console.
So, when I really LOVE a game, I buy it online with my mom's credit card (like with Portrait of Ruin) or I spend a little fortune on it, traveling to the city and paying the overrated price (like with Eternal Sonata).
The rest of the time, I just have to rely on downloaded stuff, whether I like it or not.
I'd love to have all kind of games and consoles, old and new, at reasonable prices, near my house.
Sadly, like with many other (and more important) things, life is not what I'd love to.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »
+2
Its expensive here too, even more when you dont have a job, like me for example. So I pirate games for now, I expect to change when I have enough money (like when I got enough money for buying a Wii, its the first thing that I've bought with my own money, earned with almost 5 months of work, since  I was a intern employee at my school, it was temporary and paid bad).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:06 PM »
+1
Yeah, I'm playing the Wii-U version.
I see no framerate issues, whether in off-TV play or on the TV (and I turn on 3DTV on my TV and it's just amaaaazing).
The story cutscenes are a bit intrusive, but I still stop and hear 'em 'cuz the voiceacting is topnotch.  If I don't want to hear it, I just pause and click 'skip cinematic'.  Easy.

I'm finding myself playing a lot of the game just for fun, since I already beat it. :D
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:06 PM »
And what do you guys think about the Castlevania little nods that WayForward (and especially Jake Kaufman) inserted for us?
Or I'm just imagining things because I'm so missing a new CV game that now I see it everywhere?  :P

Yeah, I'm playing the Wii-U version.
I see no framerate issues, whether in off-TV play or on the TV (and I turn on 3DTV on my TV and it's just amaaaazing).
The story cutscenes are a bit intrusive, but I still stop and hear 'em 'cuz the voiceacting is topnotch.  If I don't want to hear it, I just pause and click 'skip cinematic'.  Easy.

I'm finding myself playing a lot of the game just for fun, since I already beat it. :D
I see, so the sprites bugs and the framerate issues are only because it's a downloaded rip.
So, the game does have 3D? I didn't know about that! It must be awesome!
I think they should have included an option "Cinematics: On/Off". I REALLY enjoyed them the first time, but on a 2nd playthrough I'd like to just play entire stages.
I'm having a little difficulty with hard mode. I'll see on the weekend if I can beat it.

Its expensive here too, even more when you dont have a job, like me for example. So I pirate games for now, I expect to change when I have enough money (like when I got enough money for buying a Wii, its the first thing that I've bought with my own money, earned with almost 5 months of work, since  I was a intern employee at my school, it was temporary and paid bad).
Oh, when I lived with my mom some years ago I didn't have a job because I was only studying.
I had so much more free time, though...
It was nice not going to high school, finally, to see the other idiot girls at school, and being now able to live free, with a new career and lot of free time.
Those were the days...

Now I have to skip sleeping hours in order to play games and watch anime :(
Luckily, there's always weekends. I would die if I didn't have my weekends.

As you can see, these days my mood is very gloomy.
I'm waiting for better days.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:02:19 AM »
+1
A couple of times, when I was unemployed I bought video games instead of food... :-[
THERE! I said it.

I did lose a lot of weight but I always managed to eat at least something each day, be it at a friends house or at my parents. I had to "invite myself" to different people every time so it wouldn't seem suspicious. I was an awful person. With some great video games! :D But I've made dinner for these people many times over since I started working so I guess it's all good now.

Just don't try this at home kids. Eat your veggies!

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 04:58:53 AM »
A couple of times, when I was unemployed I bought video games instead of food... :-[
THERE! I said it.

I did lose a lot of weight but I always managed to eat at least something each day, be it at a friends house or at my parents. I had to "invite myself" to different people every time so it wouldn't seem suspicious. I was an awful person. With some great video games! :D But I've made dinner for these people many times over since I started working so I guess it's all good now.

Just don't try this at home kids. Eat your veggies!

Sounds like me, but right now i have stopped going to my friends houses for eating, so i stay on diet...... :P
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 05:17:20 AM »
So, the game does have 3D? I didn't know about that! It must be awesome!
I'm having a little difficulty with hard mode. I'll see on the weekend if I can beat it.
Oh, when I lived with my mom some years ago I didn't have a job because I was only studying.
I had so much more free time, though...
It was nice not going to high school, finally, to see the other idiot girls at school, and being now able to live free, with a new career and lot of free time.
Those were the days...

Now I have to skip sleeping hours in order to play games and watch anime :(
Luckily, there's always weekends. I would die if I didn't have my weekends.

As you can see, these days my mood is very gloomy.
I'm waiting for better days.

To clarify, the game does not have native 3D support.  At all.
However, my super-awesome TV can turn 2D content into 3D content. Videogames are particularly awesome with this technology in use.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:32:27 AM »
However, my super-awesome TV can turn 2D content into 3D content. Videogames are particularly awesome with this technology in use.

You have a 3D TV? Awesome!

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 02:41:20 PM »
I was an awful person. With some great video games!
You can't imagine how I laughed at this sentence!  ;D

To clarify, the game does not have native 3D support.  At all.
Wow, that must be spectacular to look at!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »

Dont let people from 4chan discover that, they will think that 2D things are permanently converted to 3D and hunt you... :o
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:06 PM »
Dont let people from 4chan discover that, they will think that 2D things are permanently converted to 3D and hunt you... :o
I don't understand that sentence but I'm pretty sure there's a very interesting story behind it.
Care to tell?  :P

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »
3DPD = 3D Porky Disgusting
2D for the win. They prefer 2D gals instead of real ones, its obviously a meme (in some cases its for real) and since 4chan is a place to live memes, well... I think you get the picture of that xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:54 PM »
3DPD = 3D Porky Disgusting
2D for the win. They prefer 2D gals instead of real ones, its obviously a meme (in some cases its for real) and since 4chan is a place to live memes, well... I think you get the picture of that xD
I see...
I guess I'm one of those people that, if given the chance of choosing a couple for real life that can be taken from anime (if there was such a possibility) I would totally go for an anime character.
We still can't do that... still.
With technological advances, virtual reality, motion controllers, real androids and touch technology, maybe one day... maybe one day.

Tags: