Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Programming language  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: September 04, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »
 Tell me which language is better or faster to learn, how many years it takes to someone be able to do something really cool with it? I will say it straight so it will be easier to someone answer me, in a "what if" scenarion, how many years I would need to build something on Unity? I've never used this program, I only hear about it and it seems to be the best options nowadays unless you want to do something totally from scratch.

So what path to follow? Java or C#? Why? How many year I would need? I dont know why Im asking these things or why I had this idea, but now I want to hear some answers if possible  ;D
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »
+1
I used to learn JAVA in highschool. It's a good and useful language and not too complicated but nowadays they build new programing languages every day so I don't know which one is best to learn.

I heard my lecturer say once that some old companies who have outdated programs are desperately looking for people who know COBOL. COBOL is like the hieroglyph version of programming.   ;D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
+2
Take it from an actual game developer. Learn C++.

It'll take a while, and it may even be kind of tough, but you want know it. It is a standard for the industry.

How long it takes you is kind of up to you. Usually, the best way is through a college degree program though. It will be a lot of work if you actually want to go through with it. There are no shortcuts, and there is no going only half way.

You must decide for sure if you're ready to dedicate years of your life to learning this. Not everyone has what it takes to become a game programmer, otherwise my inbox would be overflowing with resumes for the position.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:21:02 AM »
Out of curiosity, uzo, is C++ useful for non game related things as well? And is it very versatile? As in, would knowing C++ help with making both platforming and RPG style games, for instance?

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:37:53 AM »
+1
C++ was not conceptualized as a game development platform. It can be used to make any type of program. In some cases other platforms may be more advantageous, depending on the purpose of the program.

As far as games go however, it is virtually only limited by your own imagination and the ability for hardware to process it in a timely manner. Do not make the mistake to think it is anything like "Game Maker" or "Multimedia Fusion". You are not working with a program and a set of limitations, you are MAKING the program and building an engine with your own rules and mechanics. The only limits you have are the ones you create. Whatever genre you want to follow, or make a new genre of games, you can do it all and more.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:39:46 AM by uzo »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
Wow, thanks everyone. Whats the difference between C, C++ and C#? They are related right?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
+2
C ended up being upgraded with new features to make C++. C# is somewhat of an offshoot, and resembles Java more.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »
+1
C++ is C with a base of C and added the idea of Object Oriented Programming. C# was suppose to "replace" C because it's built upon the idea of object oriented programming. And yea, uzo's right, C# really is just Java in a different form. It seems to be getting more usage though. Mono for non MS, and .Net with MS.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:37:09 PM »
C++ is C with a base of C and added the idea of Object Oriented Programming. C# was suppose to "replace" C because it's built upon the idea of object oriented programming. And yea, uzo's right, C# really is just Java in a different form. It seems to be getting more usage though. Mono for non MS, and .Net with MS.

Object Oriented Programming? What is it? Its for program each aspect individually instead of a overall so its easier to correct bugs and make a more polished code? Im just speculating since Im clueless.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »
+1
its thinking of things as individual parts that make a whole and those parts can be as complex or as simple as possible. That means they can also be reused and inherited by other "child" objects. Its like how in games everything has HP but instead of every single thing in the game bein a completely separate file in the code with all the same code repeated over and over for each one to define what HP is and how it works you have 1 parent object that defines how HP works and then all the children of that object inherit all that code about HP and can use it with no additional coding on them (unless they need to do somethin different than the code in the parent object)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:43 AM »
+1
OOP (object orientated programming) is basically being able to group together patterns of data into a single container, or as called, an object.

Like say, an enemy object has their HP, sprites, and other data inside it. You can make a copy of this object without having to re-code it all again. It is, essentially, a reusable code resource that you can continue to 'copy' over and over without having to code every single enemy from the ground up each time.

This is a VERY VERY simplistic example but it should give you an idea of what it means.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »
+1
Oh Nice! I'll give a example of what I understood and someone says if I understood it right.

Someone programs a walking movement to character A, but if all characters will have the same type of movement they could make it easier reusing it in character B, C and so on. But instead of copying this code for every character, you point them to read from this code, kinda like recycling code. Thats correct?

Wow, if C doesnt had that they needed to do a really hard work then at that time until someone did C++ :-/
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »
+1
Cool, thanks uzo. Another question, if hypothetically someone wanted to teach themselves C++, are there any textbooks you could recommend? Also, alternatively, if someone went through the college degree program, do the US News college rankings give good recommendations for programming/computer science departments, or are there certification programs/standardized tests you would recommend?

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 06:22:02 PM »
+2
Oh Nice! I'll give a example of what I understood and someone says if I understood it right.

Someone programs a walking movement to character A, but if all characters will have the same type of movement they could make it easier reusing it in character B, C and so on. But instead of copying this code for every character, you point them to read from this code, kinda like recycling code. Thats correct?

Wow, if C doesnt had that they needed to do a really hard work then at that time until someone did C++ :-/

Kinda sorta. An object contains multiple functions that belong to the object. If it is one of those objects, it can use that code. But, other objects can't use that code... except in some cases... it's complicated. But it doesn't exactly work the way you think. To get the same result of the example you stated requires a lot of setup and forethought to get working regardless. It is indeed how I setup my own Castlevania demo engine from a while back. Enemies and the player shared a lot of code like for walking and detecting walls/floors.

Cool, thanks uzo. Another question, if hypothetically someone wanted to teach themselves C++, are there any textbooks you could recommend? Also, alternatively, if someone went through the college degree program, do the US News college rankings give good recommendations for programming/computer science departments, or are there certification programs/standardized tests you would recommend?

Not sure which book is best honestly. I took the basics (2 year degree) in college and then went on my own from there. There are a lot of exmaples programs and website tutorials for various topics.

I'm not aware of any official certifications. Likewise I have no idea about recommendations. I ended up making my own business, so that isn't really applicable to me.

In the world of programming, impressive past projects can potentially trump any degree or certification anyway. This doesn't apply for US government jobs though. They're all about degrees and certifications, just really backwards and horribly run. They don't pay anywhere close to what computer related jobs are worth anyway, so don't even bother with them.

If you're thinking about game programming, then show is better than tell. Make a small game. Show you can do the work. Side projects show dedication and commitment.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
Hmm, so thats it. Thanks for explaining this :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags: c++ java script wtf