Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Happy Halloween! (Un)intentional unsettling moments in a CV game.  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Happy Halloween! (Un)intentional unsettling moments in a CV game.
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »

Even so it was creepy xD

Am i the only one who noticed that it looks like a cropped image of wall sculpture from Copolla's Dracula poster? I've noticed it since day 1.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »
I also have to recall Dracula's feeding on that family at the beginning of Lords of Shadow 2.  It wasn't particularly shocking to me, this is Dracula after all, I'd expect nothing less, but it was definitely an intentionally unsettling scene and they had to censor him feeding off the little girl.  Before the game came out, I told my friend about it, and he said he knew what game he wouldn't play because of that scene. 

I did find the fact that just about EVERY character introduced in the first Lords of Shadow game ended up dead somewhat unsettling and disturbing though.  You come to appreciate and like a character, and then they're dead...  Over and over...  I was to the point, no please don't kill off Laura, who had escaped the original game unscathed, and then she was killed in the DLC predictably.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »
For intentional:

Yeah I think that, Bloodlines zombies and maybe one of the Legion fights have been the closest I've ever gotten to finding anything creepy or unsettling in any of the games. It's all just very goofy (in the best possible way) cool and fun to me. Just like theANdROId.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »
Could that POR sculpture not be infant Mathias (and his mother) being the "son of the Dragon" i.e. Dracula or pointing to Satan; represented by a Dragon in revelations? The reason I say this is that Alucard had no place in POR, so it doesn't seem relevant in this context.

As for scary moments I'm surprised POR even gets a mention, I thought it was the least creepy CV game to date.

Scary is:

CV II password Music
CV 64 stage 1 where the lightning hits the tree (that used to get me every time)
CV 64 stage 1 castle keep music
CV LOD's clock tower, you can feel death at every corner
The Sword familiar in SOTN, it just feels like it's going to stab you
Dracula's final form in COTM
Dopplegangers in SOTN were unsettling
LOI the forgotten one
AOS the fight with Graham, he's quite grotesque
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »
NitM (Saturn) Gardener and Ghost, they were so strong for the beginning that if you try to go there at the start of the game being inexperienced at the game, you will feel the terror, even more if its the first time playing this and discovering that they added these areas, I thought my cousin did some trick or cheat to unlock it at the time :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:14 PM »
+1
CV 64 stage 1 where the lightning hits the tree (that used to get me every time)

I'd forgotten about that part.  I often startle there as well -- I get so excited about playing that I forget it's coming!  I actually do that in a few other places too when something jumps out at you...for example, I remember there's a hellhound somewhere that jumps out and often startles me.

Now that I think about it, I can also remember being a little "creeped out" at a few places in CV 64/LoD when a friend and I were playing through it for the first time...such as at the Castle Center, in the huge room with the Behemoth corpse.  My friend was playing that level -- he thought it was there just for creepiness, but I was always sure that thing would be awake one time when he went in that room, or he'd turn around and it'd be standing right there! :-S

Tags: