Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV1&2 - NES Classic Ed.  (Read 27934 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:51:20 PM »
+1
Thought this was kinda cool.

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

An official HDMI NES box with 30 preloaded games including Castlevania and Simon's Quest. Uses an NES-style Classic Controller that you can also use on your Wii and Wii U.

Apparently there's no way to expand the library, which is a missed opportunity. Would be cool if you could link your NNID and download any eShop Virtual Console games you've purchased.

I think I'll get one anyway just for the fun of it, and to have a two-button Classic Controller.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 07:17:12 PM »
Im sure someone will figure out how to hack it and add more games. Ill be picking up one asap... maybe 2

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 07:26:39 PM »
Huh... it has Super C yet no sign of the original Contra.  That also happened with the Wii Virtual Console.  Why is it that the first Contra is always left out?

Tangent aside, this seems neato.  Would've been nice if there was support for NES carts at the top or something so it doubles as an official famiclone (even if having carts stick at the top isn't really authentic).

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
I was hoping it would have online purchasing of more NES games.

You mean you can't even play original nes cartridges on it?

Way to take a great idea and botch it Nintendo...

But hey. At least they put ballon fight on it. That game is the best.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:21:30 PM »
CastleVania III would've sold me.  Love Super C, but yo, WTF with the missing Contra?!

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 08:39:44 PM »
What immediately turned me off was the lack of Dracula's Curse. I'd have had that on there over the first two any day. I might grab it, since I know some people in my family would love it, but man, would've been an instant buy if it had that roster of games plus Dracula's Curse.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 09:53:48 PM »
Contra is even absent from the Wii U VC. I'm not sure why.

And yeah, someone will probably hack the NES Classic. Guess it depends on whether the USB port is strictly for power or if you can access internal storage with it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »
Hoped for CV3 as well, but I'll definitively be buying one in November :)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »
I don't think I'll be getting this. It's an okay idea, but Nintendo should be taking this thing to the top. The entire NES library is not all that big in terms of memory storage so I really don't see why that can't put the whole list of games onto that one tiny NES system. If they did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But like Belmontoya stated; Way to take a great idea and botch it Nintendo...
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 12:15:08 AM »
I don't think I'll be getting this. It's an okay idea, but Nintendo should be taking this thing to the top. The entire NES library is not all that big in terms of memory storage so I really don't see why that can't put the whole list of games onto that one tiny NES system. If they did, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But like Belmontoya stated; Way to take a great idea and botch it Nintendo...

I wouldn't say the ENTIRE library, since the NES has a significantly high amount of shovelware on it. But man, they could EASILY fit all the biggest NES hits on there.

All three Castlevanias, for starters. At the very least the original Mega Man trilogy, if not all six of them. The whole Ninja Gaiden trilogy, the whole Double Dragon trilogy, the original Contra... that's just naming a few games that should've been in the package.

But I'm really sour about the lack of Dracula's Curse.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 02:06:53 AM »
For a second I was baffled at the inclusion of Simon's Quest* over Dracula's Curse but then it was obvious. If the Atari 2600 throwback consoles from the last decade are any indication, some high profile games were purposefully left out so that Nintendo could include them in future iterations of this system. If this one sells, and I expect it will, expect to see an NES classic 2 and 3 in stores in the coming years. Dracula's Curse will probably be on one of them, along with some significant but not overwhelming overlap from this release.

*I like it and it's a fine game for its time don't get me wrong. Probably even a little underrated these days. But the 3rd game is so much better and it's obvious which has more mass appeal.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 06:08:17 AM »
I'll get my mom one for Christmas.

She won't mind the limited library.

But for me... I'll just stick with my original redesigned NES and my ouya.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 06:50:58 AM »
All three Castlevanias, for starters. At the very least the original Mega Man trilogy, if not all six of them. The whole Ninja Gaiden trilogy, the whole Double Dragon trilogy, the original Contra... that's just naming a few games that should've been in the package.

But I'm really sour about the lack of Dracula's Curse.

Well if they're going for just one from Mega Man and one from Double Dragon, they've made some good choices at least.  Mega Man 2 is, to some, the best in the classic series and a really solid game overall.  As for Double Dragon II, it has co-op over Double Dragon I.  Also it's less janky in comparison and it has that overpowered knee attack.

Also it's baffling that Dracula's Curse wasn't included.  It's like they're teasing up with leaving the third one (and possibly best) out.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see more consoles (I guess we can call it that?) like this, especially if this one sells (as has been suggested), but I honestly wouldn't be surprised either if Nintendo was leaving out some details in regards to ability to add games.  Like, maybe adding new games isn't the plan right now, but if they see it sell well they announce something like, "Now you can add new games to this system!  Pick up this cable, connect to the internet, and you can download these games at $X each / another set of games for $X!"  Y'know...just not telling us that it actually does have the capability or that it's on the horizon.  I don't know why they wouldn't tell us that, but it somehow seems like the kind of thing Nintendo would do.

Nonetheless, and limited collection or not, I want it!  My wife and I have already discussed how it's somewhat pointless since I have a system that will play NES games, already own a few from the collection, and that I also want to own a bunch (or all) of the original NES cartridges anyway.  Thankfully she seems to understand (possibly read as, "tolerate") my desire to collect retro-NES and SNES items.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:16:26 AM by theANdROId »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
The problem is that the ability to play more games and add games is fundamental.

by not allowing acess to more games via virtual console store or even the ability to play cartridges, Nintendo will be deliberately missing out on a huge source of money and fans will be disappointed.

There's absolutely no reason or excuse for it.

Honestly a lot of people still prefer their classic Nintendo's over modern consoles and games.

If Nintendo were smart they would make this new classic style NES console with online capabilities and they would develop new 8bit classic style Nintendo games for it. People would go nuts over that.

There is so much wasted potential with Nintendo that it drives me crazy.

Tags: 191933087b