Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Ballad of Darkness *NEW* Castlevania Fan Game by Patheticmw  (Read 16233 times)

Offline Zuljaras

• Castletoria (Game Project)
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Castle Builder!!!
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I am also using GMS for my game and at the start I used the mouse to select stuff. However after that I made it so that mouse + selecting with keys is used. Also mouse selecting is used for touchscreen stuff.

Believe me it is essencial to make keyboard keys usable. I also thought that Joy2Key was the right way but it is only a workaround.

Polish is the key to everything. Take your time and add only key functionality.
Check out my game Castletoria in our forum ->> http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php?topic=5631.0

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
  • Just before the throne...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair (PS3/X360)
I am also using GMS for my game and at the start I used the mouse to select stuff. However after that I made it so that mouse + selecting with keys is used. Also mouse selecting is used for touchscreen stuff.

Believe me it is essencial to make keyboard keys usable. I also thought that Joy2Key was the right way but it is only a workaround.

Polish is the key to everything. Take your time and add only key functionality.

Hey Zuljaras, I'm a fan of your castle of nightmares project, so I appreciate your input greatly! I'm currently implementing a lot of new things, so keyboard functionality on the map is something I am definitely looking at since so many people are commenting on that.

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Hello everyone, I will soon be changing the game file into the newest updated version, so if you are wanting to play the game, I would suggest waiting until I put it out after a couple test runs. In the spoiler is a list of updates for the game. The version I will be releasing soon is V1.1.2. A lot of things that people have commented on have been fixed as well as some other things I found along the way. If you have already played an older version of the game, your feedback on newer versions will be most valuable, and please everyone else give feedback too! Thanks!  :D

(click to show/hide)

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
The original post has been updated to include the link to the new version of the game. The current version is a huge upgrade compared to the original so I encourage everyone to give it a try and tell me what you think!  :D

Here is another link to the newest version and attached is the update log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1b3q22dnt62w12/Castlevania_Ballad_of_Darkness.exe?dl=0

Offline Patheticmw

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
I've noticed that some people, even on very capable computers, are experiencing low frame rates at certain points in the game, while some people, even on lower end systems, don't experience this at all. I personally don't experience it on my home PC, so it's kind of a hard problem to narrow down, but I'm almost certain it is some disagreement between certain versions of Windows and the version of Gamemaker I used to make a lot of the game. Some people can resolve this issue by running the game as an administrator and/or running it in a compatibility mode for a different version of Windows. If neither of those options work, I'm sorry, I don't know how to solve it except by trying to play on a different computer.  :-[ Even a lower end computer may be able to avoid those problems. I haven't had much time to work on this game recently, but I still may make more updates in the future, especially if it ever picks up a little more steam. Thanks to anyone who has played! (Also, I made this game in an engine format that should be pretty workable around a lot of new variables or redesigns, the goal when I first started was actually to make a classicvania engine, so if anyone wants to try it, just message me with your idea and I'll be glad to send you a copy with a couple tutorial stages to show how things work. I'll try to check messages on this site, but I will definitely be easier to message on Steam, which I have linked in my profile.)