Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Liking things from Lords of Shadows?!  (Read 9460 times)

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:59:13 PM »
So, this is a thread not for those who like Lords of Shadows and its sequels, but for those who disliked or even hated it. If you are a non-fan, was there anything that you still liked about the three games, the story, the design? Any element at all that you feel was good or salvageable about the series you do not like? Playing devil's advocate here, so to speak, as I myself really loathe the LoS universe. But even I found a few things I liked, even though it was in no way enough to salvage the whole thing for me in any capacity.

For instance, the Combat Cross was one of the things I liked. I liked the design and the idea behind it, that you had to upgrade it gradually to make it stronger and unlock more abilities.

So, what things from LoS and its sequels did you like as someone who generally doesn't like that universe?
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
Re: Liking things from Lords of Shadows?!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:04:41 PM »
As a game I enjoyed the 1st LoS a lot. As a Castlevania game I think MoF was great though I've admittedly only played the HD version.

Storywise I love the idea of a Belmont being turned into a vampire by Dracula.  Don't love it being Trevor becoming Alucard, and hate the aspect of Dracula starting the Belmont line but the concept itself was pretty great, and well executed.

I like the brotherhood of light a lot, especially in LoS2, unfortunately they were the only interesting part of that game.  Well... The toymaker was pretty cool.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
+2
Carmilla's cleavage

thread over

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 07:42:26 PM »
+1
Patrick Stewart. 
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 02:07:11 AM »
+1
Robert Carlyle ♥

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 03:58:51 AM »
Carmilla's cleavage

thread over

Fucken oath. Two weapons that can cleave vision with 1 strike..

I liked the gameplay of the first LOS for the most part, parrying felt rewarding.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:26:57 AM »
How old are you guys?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:51:39 AM »
+2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:22:14 AM »
I'm a fan of LoS1, save for Gabriel's incredible bursts of dumbness and the final stretch of the plot (ta-dah! Zobek made you kill your wife!... ta-dah! Zobek is the mastermind!... ta-dah! a guy previously hinted only by two lines in the entire game is that actual mastermind!... ta-dah! Gabriel is Dracula!)

Mirror of Fate... I'm a fan only of the graphics and that's the most I can say without laughing.

LoS2 I'm a fan of the graphics, of many character designs and the fact they made the "castle is an actual living entity" concept much more obvious and scary... That's pretty much it.

On the whole trilogy I'm a huge fan of the acting. But acting alone can't save a game.

The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:41:23 AM »

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »
Okay, so we got some joke answers and some people who apparently can't read, as this is for those who didn't like LoS at all but only certain aspects of it here and there.

EDIT: Then again, LoS in itself is a joke, so I should perhaps not have expected much.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:58:34 AM by DraculaCronqvist »
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 10:16:20 AM »
I was deathly serious

Carmilla's tits are the only good thing in 2

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
I was deathly serious

Carmilla's tits are the only good thing in 2

Huh... well, in that case. XD

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 10:30:46 AM »
+2
I was deathly serious

Carmilla's tits are the only 2 good things in 2

Added a number to your statement.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 11:40:39 AM »
Actually on a more serious note

-I ain't in the "dislike most but still like a few" in regards to 1. I overall enjoyed and like 1.

-MoF IMO is just stupid. Looks pretty but that's about it and even that's a stretch at times (LOL CELSHADED BRIGHTASS CUTSCENES WHY NOT).

Now as for things I liked, either genuinely or somewhat ironically. Should be able to tell which.

-2 has Carmilla's glorious bust and I have no shame in admitting I enjoyed it. The implication is that the castle consciousness or whatever gave her her original form because her vampire form couldn't seduce Gabe the first time, and that's the only sensible reason I can think of as to why she's suddenly human again. So since the actual plot intent was sex appeal and seduction, I have N O S H A M E. Carmilla in general I liked a bit (partly yes because she's damn hot), though the seduction aspect doesn't really work when you're literally just a mental figment and can't actually offer anything substantial.

-Death by blowjob symbolism? Totally stupid and nonsensical but damn if I won't give 2 points for that ballsy shamelessness and continuation of the tease.

-2 has Marie actually taking a somewhat more active role than in 1, and I like this. Doesn't change that she still stays a damsel in distress a few times, but at least the Carmilla fight takes an interesting approach of "yes, I'm a born-again Heaven Human that can't really help you much here because I can't fight, but I can offer you my body and my blood so that you may be healed and strengthened to destroy this great foe." I mean Marie is basically a Jesus redemption allegory in that respect.

-I liked Nergal, oddly enough. Reminded me a lot of how I always pictured Olrox to be personality-wise. Can't say much else for him though.

-Gabula mic-dropping the Paladin by doing the same freestyle rap only better. 10/10 scene.

-The triumphant return of Japan's favorite metal cylinder portable ashtray that all the cool videogame smokers use! (these things are actually p. handy for that but they're shoddily made and fall apart easily)

-Zobek Death was neat I guess. Not particularly interesting as a fight because lol MINION SUMMON GANK cliche but at least the design was neat. Also why is Zobek the only Lord who gets to keep his voice when he transforms? We ever gonna get a fuckin' answer on that? It's been driving me nuts for ages.

-I liked the modern aspect of 2, at least in concept. Its execution was shit because of little things like how the fuck is a dude that's been asleep/away for a thousand years gonna know what the term "pharmaceutical company" means without any explanation given, but at least it tried.

-Oh man remember those punching weapons ripped straight from Devil May Cry and God of War? Those were awesome!

Tags: