Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Fun for the whole family!  (Read 2653 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:15:13 PM »
So...several years ago, my in-laws began a "somewhat" tradition -- it's only been done twice, but it's something that will definitely happen again, even if not annually or semi-annually.  After building an elaborate (yet cheap) gingerbread house, we demolish it, often to a rewritten traditional Christmas poem or story.  I think it's pretty awesome, so I thought I'd share a few pics!  We've simply burned it 2/2 times, but are talking other possibilities for the future.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »
That's a nice house there. Wouldn't it be better to eat it though?  :P
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:30:05 AM »
The candy itself would still be good to eat however the gingerbread and frosting might be a little hard and stale. That's the bummer of a gingerbread house unless you eat it on the same day you made it. I've never heard of a burning of gingerbread houses until now. A rather unique tradition.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 04:13:53 AM »
You guys should make a Gingerbreadvania and collapse it instead of setting it on fire.

With Awaken from the Nightmare playing in the background.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
This house was built with a cheapened gingerbread recipe (made intentionally that way for the sake of the burning.) 

I suppose there are a few important details that help it make more sense.  The slightly longer version:

(click to show/hide)

The ridiculously summarized version:
Mom-in-law rarely has "junk" in the house.  The first house was a special situation to be made, and was already collapsing when sibs thought it'd be fun to burn.  It was fun enough for this crazy crowd that now we (sorta) plan it!

I love the Castlevania idea!!  If I'm ever actually here when the house-making happens, I'm totally doing that!  But...how would you just make it collapse?  You'd have to step on it or drop something on it...that would mess up the effect!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
I can imagine a really elaborate way to make it happen, but it involves a lot of toothpicks and stringpulls.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »
They were playing around with their ability to film in slo-mo on their iPhones.  I don't have one, but I bet it'd be pretty cool to see such a crumble in slow motion!

Tags: