Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "The Dragon Returns" - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Sequel (HERE BE SPOILER INFO)  (Read 2405767 times)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)

I know silly me.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline cecil-kain

• Lord and Host
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Operation Akumajo
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I'd be in for a combat style where the largest combo is four hits, because not only do long combos strengthen the enemies, but they flatten the level design.

You just highlighted a fatal flaw that the PS2Vanias actually have in common with LoS. The obsession with over-the-top combo attacks *ARE* a higher priority than platforming!  You need to give LoS credit for pushing some platform elements, but if you think about it, all of that platforming was *far* removed from the action --the 2 never really mix...  It's action and platforming, not action-platforming....  I'm a little embarrassed now that i never made that connection myself.   :-[

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
I'd love a fight with a big monster chasing you, like TFO, if TFO could attack you and you could attack him.
Or something with more enviroment interaction. If you think about it, LoS fights were all in circular areas.
Cox cited technical limitations though. Hope it got better in the new engine  :)

Everything comes full circle

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
I'd love a fight with a big monster chasing you, like TFO, if TFO could attack you and you could attack him.
Or something with more enviroment interaction. If you think about it, LoS fights were all in circular areas.
Cox cited technical limitations though. Hope it got better in the new engine  :)

You know behemoth should say hi to all of us. IN 3D again   ;D
(click to show/hide)

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
"Dare you face the evil darkness? It is written that the creatures behind that door will return very soon to claim the souls of your loved ones, and send you straight to hell! Be aware!"

Am I the only one who reads this in Patrick Stewart's voice, I just think of Zobek when I read it
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
That would be awesome, actually. Especially seeing a half dismembered bull-like creature with rotted entrails hanging out. PLEASE do this!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
in THREEEEE DEEEEEEEE!
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Just out of question do you guys and gals think that it's possible if we pestered cox and konami to put in konami boss as dlc when the games are shown afterward?

Edit

That would be awesome, actually. Especially seeing a half dismembered bull-like creature with rotted entrails hanging out. PLEASE do this!

in THREEEEE DEEEEEEEE!

Hell yes in THREEEEEEEEEEE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
(click to show/hide)

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
You just highlighted a fatal flaw that the PS2Vanias actually have in common with LoS. The obsession with over-the-top combo attacks *ARE* a higher priority than platforming!  You need to give LoS credit for pushing some platform elements, but if you think about it, all of that platforming was *far* removed from the action --the 2 never really mix...  It's action and platforming, not action-platforming....  I'm a little embarrassed now that i never made that connection myself.   :-[

Hence why I've pointed out CV64/LoD. Despite all the shortcomings, they pulled off action-platforming in 3D. CV64 Level 2 is the perfect example. That tower climb includes: crumbling stairs, floating platforms, rotating spike platforms, and falling guillotines, which are complimentary guarded by Medusa heads and bone pillars. This requires you to jump and whip, and stop on a dime, etc. That is one of LoS' biggest issues, and it comes from a combination of the combos, the character animation that the combos initiate, the poor/jerky jumping controls, and the stratified level designs that have platforming events that are really more "climbing/rappelling" than "jumping."

I'm not trying to outright hate on LoS by any means. It's an all right game in its own right with nice production values. But it's under the pressure of reviving Castlevania, and it has fundamental leaps and bounds to go if it's going to do it.

Technically speaking, Behemoth was done in 3D in CV64's Castle Center. You whipped him apart piece by piece in a large space where he could chase you down, among other tactics.

Dracul is Dracula because he thinks he is The Dragon...

Aren't we falling into a trap here? I think we're getting way too concerned with the "story" rather than the "game." I hope MS is not having the same thing happen to them. The story shouldn't have to cover for the game. I don't expect Shakespeare, and LoS gave me nothing to believe we'll be getting it going forward, either. (The story of LoS kept me moving forward through a lot of iffy level designs expecting it to evolve into something, but it ultimately was too disjointed and heavy-handed, going for shock value and forced emotions. It was red herrings strung together on a frayed line of twine).

The most important thing here going forward is that it's Good vs. Dracula. Let the story tell itself from there. Minimalist storytelling sometimes works best. I hate to go back to it, as I don't mean to overdo it, but CV64's use of Rosa--where you meet her in the flower garden and later when she's trying to walk into the light--that's pretty powerful stuff without interrupting the game much and/or having continuous narration by Patrick Stewart, etc.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 11:13:33 PM by RichterB »

Offline Francis

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
someone know the hour of the E3 pre-conference?

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
So. what old monsters do you hope to see in LoS 2?

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
Besides him, of course. He's a given...

...right?

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
Medusa Heads, Death, Max Slimer, Hunchback Humper Dude

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
    • Awards

anything